Forbes' The Five Most Important People in Modeling

papa_levante

oh! darling
Reaction score
I found this on Forbes.
No date was provided, so I can't be sure how recent this is.
Complied by Kiri Blakeley

Edward Razek
Razek has been hand-selecting Victoria's Secret models for 15 years. He's helped launch the careers of household names Daniela Pestova, Laetitia Costa, Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum. The brand's highest-paid face, Gisele Bundchen, was already one of the world's best-known models when she joined roster.

Anna Wintour
The queen of Vogue has final say over every model who appears in the highly influential magazine. She launched the career of Victoria's Secret model Karolina Kurkova by putting her on the cover at 16. Recent editorial darlings Doutzen Kroues and Hilary Rhoda have turned Wintour's favor into lucrative contracts with L'Oreal and Estée Lauder.

w7db1v.jpg

Ivan Bart
A manager with top model firm IMG, Bart has been scouting faces since 1986. "I have kind of a third eye," says Bart, who furthered the careers of Bridget Hall, Carolyn Murphy, Stephanie Seymour, Shalom Harlow, Mischa Barton and Liya Kebede. He spotted his latest discovery, Prada model Irina K., in a Moscow restaurant having dinner with her mother.

2hd1stu.jpg

Aerin Lauder
Lauder has proved as adept at launching new faces as her grandmother, company founder Estée. She brought Carolyn Murphy in to replace Elizabeth Hurley as the main face of the brand and oversaw the selection of the company's first black model, Liya Kebede. Then she went against the fashion grain and chose athletic American Hilary Rhoda over the waifish Eastern Europeans dominating the industry.

Steven Meisel
Meisel is one of the few photographers in the world who can launch the career of a model. His photographs regularly appear on the cover of Vogue, and he is credited with having discovered new sensation DKNY model Jessica Stam, as well as supermodel legends Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington and Naomi Campbell.

forbes

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, Meisel's name was the first one to spring to mind when I read the title.Tough, Aerin Lauder's came out as being a surprise to me, I would have never thought of her as being one of the most important people in modeling.

Meisel, is still tops for sure. Mario Testino can work wonders too...

Edward Razek's taste is incredibly terrible recently. Maybe he needs a timeout or something... :ermm:

hmmm, i think the guy that casts prada should be in here too, russell march?

I do have to agree with this list actually, I mean it is only the top 5, so you're not going to have everyone. But Russell Marsh is definitely up there for me because if you get the Prada stamp of approval, it's pretty much a guarantee for success.

Aerin Lauder's came out as being a surprise to me, I would have never thought of her as being one of the most important people in modeling.

the Estee Lauder Cosmetics campaign is one of the most coveted contract a model hopes for. to have Aerin take interest in you (as a model,) is like winning the lottery.

The thread title seems generic.

Can it be changed to "Forbes' The Five Most..."?

:flower: Thank you!

the Estee Lauder Cosmetics campaign is one of the most coveted contract a model hopes for. to have Aerin take interest in you (as a model,) is like winning the lottery.

Really ? :huh:

What makes you say that ?

I mean so far Carolyn Murphy and Liya Kebede (as in models) have been chosen in the recent past .I mean they're really successful but well they're not Daria or Gemma and it sure is a fine contract to have , but is it really like winning the lottery, are you really calling it one of the most important contracts you could get ? If we're speaking cosmetic brands, I would have thought that whoever has chosen/chooses the models for l'Oreal/getting a contract with l'Oreal would be certainly (by far) more influent in a model's career (I mean think about the models who represented it, it's insane : from Christy Turlington to Milla Jovovich to Erin Wasson,Claudia Schiffer,Laetitia Casta etc) than with Estee Lauder.I would even put the person who's in charge of Lancome's casting to be more important than Aerin Lauder in terms of model casting.

I mean so far Carolyn Murphy and Liya Kebede (as in models) have been chosen in the recent past .I mean they're really successful but well they're not Daria or Gemma and it sure is a fine contract to have , but is it really like winning the lottery, are you really calling it one of the most important contracts you could get ?

Also I have to add, how many models's careers has Aerin Lauder influenced by getting them a contract with Estee Lauder ? 2 or 3 ? Well that's not groundbreaking.Putting her next to Steven Meisel or Anna Wintour or even Ivan Bart is a bit of a joke to me.

I mean so far Carolyn Murphy and Liya Kebede (as in models) have been chosen in the recent past .I mean they're really successful but well they're not Daria or Gemma and it sure is a fine contract to have , but is it really like winning the lottery, are you really calling it one of the most important contracts you could get ? If we're speaking cosmetic brands, I would have thought that whoever has chosen/chooses the models for l'Oreal/getting a contract with l'Oreal would be certainly (by far) more influent in a model's career (I mean think about the models who represented it, it's insane : from Christy Turlington to Milla Jovovich to Erin Wasson,Claudia Schiffer,Laetitia Casta etc) than with Estee Lauder.I would even put the person who's in charge of Lancome's casting to be more important than Aerin Lauder in terms of model casting.

not only a big contract it's also the prestige. Estee (Lauder) is a pioneer of the first cosmetic brand in the high end line.

Also I have to add, how many models's careers has Aerin Lauder influenced by getting them a contract with Estee Lauder ? 2 or 3 ? Well that's not groundbreaking.Putting her next to Steven Meisel or Anna Wintour or even Ivan Bart is a bit of a joke to me.

Meisel, Anna and Ivan only puts the model out there it's the likes of Aerin Lauder and her family's business that pays the big bucks. in terms of money, yes, Aerin Lauder is very inflluential and important in the model's career. Also, coming from old money and investing in you, yup, she's very important in the industry.

I think Steven Meisel came to everybody's mind.

Meisel, Anna and Ivan only puts the model out there it's the likes of Aerin Lauder and her family's business that pays the big bucks. in terms of money, yes, Aerin Lauder is very inflluential and important in the model's career. Also, coming from old money and investing in you, yup, she's very important in the industry.

Oh how many models has she chosen again ? 2 , 3 ? How many models have represented Estee Lauder in the past 10 years ? Two.That was really impressive.I'm repeating myself, Estee Lauder is indeed a fine prestigious brand , but Aerin Lauder has been influential for just two models's careers, how is that significant in any case ? Especially when you compare it to something like l'Oreal's casting ? Even money wise l'Oreal is a titan next to Estee Lauder.

Oh how many models has she chosen again ? 2 , 3 ? That was really impressive.I'm repeating myself, Estee Lauder is indeed a fine prestigious brand , but Aerin Lauder has been influential for just two models'careers, how is that significatn in any case ?

i think i have said it already. it's not how many times a models face is plastered to a glossy or on every billboards. its the MONEY -- how much it pays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mou777
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->