French Baroque and Rococco

:woot: that french vogue editorial pics posted by spike :heart:

I really do think there has been some confusion of distinction between Baroque and Rococco. I have to admit, my knowledge of Baroque ends at it being a musical period during the 17th to early 18th century.

In terms of costuming however, I would say that 18th century European (in particular French) fashion has to be classified as Rococco. The images posted above (Marie Antoinette, Madame de Pompadour most definitely are Rococco cosumes.

The 17th century had a wild mixture of styles, ranging from Jacobean to Puritans and of course styles diverged according to country. Baroque fashion probably originated from France where the style was championed by Louis XIV, the 'Sun King' (a trendsetter of his age). It was characterised by excessive ornamentation. For example it became fashionable to trim everything with bunches of ribbons. This can be seen in these men's 'petticoat' breeches:

374_1665.gif

Just some pics to illustrate Baroque style:

10337_05.jpg

Illustration of Mlle. D'Hautefort

rac353.jpg

rac355.jpg

There is often confusion between Baroque and Rococco style because they both share those ornate and over-embellished characteristics. However, there is a marked difference in that Baroque fashion was weighted with a solidarity and heaviness whereas Rococco had a lightness, a fluidity. With the arrival of the Enlightenment, the 'freeing of the mind', this new found optimism was also reflected in fashion. Flowers, birds, and bows became dominant motifs in a style that highlighted a kind of idealized femininity. This was seen not just in costumes but also in all kinds of visual arts (broadly speaking, these eras we speak of apply to a multitude of things - interiors, architecture, music)

It was also during the Rococco period that the trendsetter also switched from France to England in the mid 18th century. There was a trend of neo-classicism that flourished amongst the English nobility that was highly thought of.
alanglaise.jpg

English Robes circa 1785

chinoiserie2.jpg

French gown circa 1780

The dress above demonstrates the trend of chinoiserie and detailed fabrics particular to the Rococco period.

Some more pics of typical Rococco costumes:
bergeret.jpg

Madame Bergeret
chrome14.jpg

I think a mix of both periods can be seen on the catwalk but I think it's really the structural features of the Baroque period that are being used. Especially in Balenciaga and Chanel's collections.

All pics from costume.org

thank you susie for saying so well exactly what I was wanting to say ^_^ (retitling this topic to include both, just to smooth out confusions about overlap)

I think this trend can be worn well with the gothic trend...but at the same time, I think it kind of stands alone. you have the freedom to use a completely different colour palette from the gothic trends. it's a bit frivolous and ornate. I think immediately of lots of pastel, lots of white and cream coloured lace, and pretty bows.

I saw in some magazine a small lace ribbon tied as a choker, and thought that added a nice little rococo touch to an outfit.

(may I also add that I'm ridiculously excited about the marie antoinette movie...I'm an antoinette fan:blush:)

^Me too...the fact that the trailer was set to a New Order song makes me EXTREMELY intrigued. I'm a complete period drama obsessive so I think this movie will definitely bring something completely different to the usual run of the mill dramas.

Looks like tFS is ahead of the world. From the Dolce & Gabbana F/W 0607 Mens show, that was held today.

r1889731495.jpg
r2114138017.jpg

capt.mil11301151323.italy__men_fashion_mil113.jpg
r1919119320.jpg

www.yahoo.com

^ :woot: :crush: these are beautiful mr dale, thank you so much for posting! ah, seeing handsome men in those jackets make me weak in the knees. :heart:

OMG, I love those jackets!!! They're so 18th century, but somehow look really cool with casual pants and scruffy hair.

:woot: mrDale, thanks for the Dolce&Gabbana photos, this is such an amazing coincidence :heart:

susie, karma for putting things in their perspective..
terminology is important if we dont want to sound as not knowing what we are talking about..
baroque was decorative but 'heavy' with lots of gold details
rococco is much more light and has more floral/nature influences

btw, imo, baroque and rococco have absolutely nothing to do with gothic, its a completly different mood altogether

You are welcome guys ^_^

And I concur with you Lena. If anything, gothic and baroque are extreme opposites....

this stuff is way too over the top and saccharine for me....
i find it hard to see how to translate it into daywear which is relevant to a modern lifestyle...

i can only imagine it for couture or formalwear...

Love is in the air ... ONCE AGAIN TFS HAS PROVED TO BE A CRYSTAL BALL!

*grins*

Thanks for the Dolce pics! :kiss:

Hum ... I think there's something that binds everything together (baroque, rococo and gothic) ... ROMANCE!

*makes garlands out of wild flowers*

ultramarine said:
Hum ... I think there's something that binds everything together (baroque, rococo and gothic) ... ROMANCE!

*makes garlands out of wild flowers*

:lol:...you got it baby...:heart:...

Susie...thanks so much for writing that wonderful synopsis out, and accompanying it with pictures.
Also, thanks to Mr. Dale for the Dolce pictures of today.

I agree with softgrey about the difficulty of translating this into daywear or casual wear; I cringe at the thought of all the "indie haircut boys" running out to pick up their tail coats and bringing with them a resurgence of dandies and fops (I'm picturing "metrosexual" writ large and with great flourish, opulence, and gilt).

Along with the romance that was mentioned as a common thread, it seems to me that there is also an element of luxury that has returned. It seems to be a deliberate step away from the mass rows of cookiecutter clothing, a step that involves a lot of current trends, including the fever for vintage, the emphasis in magazines on stylemakers and originality, and a taste for bespoke that seems to be coming back.
The opulence of these eras of high art and extravagant decoration simultaneously speak as a sign of wealth/power and also culture/refinement. :king:

As a slight aside, I made my brother's Christmas gift this year, an embroidered design on a sweatshirt, and was looking in a bunch of Baroque architecture books for inspiration. I ended up settling on a slightly off-topic but still elaborate Ace of Spades design.
My sister got sweatshirt with a pair of embroidered angel wings.:angel:

Attachments

• 000_2138.JPG
    000_2138.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 000_2140.JPG
    000_2140.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 71
i dont think we will see this translating into a 'costume' trend
it will be more as a 'mood', colour mixes. trims, shapes or in small decorative details like the spade detail just posted by clavdia ^

one thing is sure, nostalgia is taking a real deep dive in the past.

OMG, if I saw a man in the D&G Fall/Winter 06 ensemble I'd ask him to marry me. HOT HOT HOT.

Aside from the beautiful military jackets, Dolce also stuck this brocade jacket into the mix....
00480f.jpg

gqstyle.com

I think baroque/rococo is gonna be huge over the next few weeks.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->