Zhang Ziyi In Memoirs Of A Geisha

equinox said:
There is a railroad train station scene and that scene was shot in
my home town of Sacramento, California. That week when they were
shooting the scene I went out and tried to be an extra for the film,
but in order to be just an extra you had to put your name and other information months prior.
One of my friends told me that for several months there were
castings for asian actors and actresses to be an extra in an
upcoming film that was going to be shot in Sacramento. How did
I missed that casting call?:shock: :blink: :doh: I'm such a dummy!!!!

OMG!! :shock: :o ... that was my chance too :cry: ... I go to school in Davis.. 30 mins from Sacramento :lol:

CharlottefromCA said:
OMG!! :shock: :o ... that was my chance too :cry: ... I go to school in Davis.. 30 mins from Sacramento :lol:
You're a fellow Aggie as well :o.

:heart: ziyi

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like repeating myself when I say that I wasn't too keen with the idea of her getting the main role, but that was primarily because I felt that a lesser known actress should take the spotlight instead. Ziyi's been in nearly every Chinese film that has currently sparked interest in the US, and I'd rather they have casted someone with Japanese origin because they don't get as much attention as a whole around here.

But Hollywood is not about playing fair, so it wasn't surprising when Zhang got the part.

I don't think that Hollywood is 'grouping asians together as one thing' whit this movie. They seem to be just following through on the age old pattern of giving the roles to actresses that are better known...and Ziyi is very well known in the US these days.

For all we know, she may have been the only actress to have done well during the auditions. What really matters at the end is whether she's able to convince the audience that she is the character she's playing.

CharlottefromCA said:

Oh...wow, I'm an Aggie too!

I'm just happy that more and more asian actors and actresses are being
recognized in Hollywood......I just wished they would break the stereotypical casting for asian actors and actresses. You guys know what I'm talking about....all those damn kung fu films.....:ninja: :P :innocent:

^Yes. The costumes are pretty, Gong Li and the little girl who played Sayuri as a child were good, but other than that...spend your money somewhere else.

Golden Globes nominations are out!!!

Zhang Ziyi has a nomination for best actress in a drama

speaking of grouping asians together...Kristen Kruek, who's half dutch half chinese is going to portray an Indian woman in a movie about the partition in India. I dont' understand why asians are grouped together...it's not like we have a lack of population problem...they can't find ANYONE to play these very race based roles?

its a start.. you can't expect asian actor/resses to suddenly dominate right?

just like in hk, the same caucasian guy keeps playing the 'white guy' role in every drama.. even appearing as 2 'separate' characters in one episode :rofl:
(the old one about the ER, he is a street musician and also dept head in the same episode)

the book wasn't too great for me either and i agree with whats been said.. but i'd see the film just to look at the costumes and see how they portrayed each character.. i would've preferred if sayuri wasn't very attractive like in the novel.. since geisha's charm is supposed to be in her actions.. but hey its hollywood..

Pinky* said:
just like in hk, the same caucasian guy keeps playing the 'white guy' role in every drama.. even appearing as 2 'separate' characters in one episode :rofl:

Are you serious? :lol: :rolleyes: Thats hilarious..

i saw the trailer for Memoirs last night..i think it looks really good..i can't wait to see it

was just at the supermarket and they had the new TIME magazine out...the cover was of all the cast of Memoirs of a Geisha it's the feature story for the month..looked really cool..had a look on the TIME website..but it's a different cover..i guess it's not the feature story...i'm gonna buy it..hehe...

i wish i had a scanner..then i'd scan and post it

Even though the reviews have not been good, I'll still watch it when it comes out in the cinemas here.

CharlottefromCA said:
Golden Globes nominations are out!!!

Zhang Ziyi has a nomination for best actress in a drama
:(:o :blink: That really surprises me. Though I love Zhang Ziyi in most of the movies she has done, I thought she did a rather awful job in Memoirs. (Although it's my favorite book, so I was prejudiced against the movie from the beginning.) I don't think that she portrayed Sayuri's depth as well as she could have; Michelle Yeoh was far better.

you were prejudiced against the movie from the begginging??...well that probably clouded your judgement on it...why go to a movie if your going to prejudice about it...you should go in and wipe your mind clean.....think positive about it, you my have seen it in a different light :flower:

it's my fave book also...but i'm going in there hoping it will be great....and even if it isn't..i'm sure i've seen far worse movies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->