Zhang Ziyi In Memoirs Of A Geisha

No, sorry if I gave the impression I did. I meant the movie trailer. :flower:
I won't let myself watch the adaptation until I finish reading the novel! A very strict rule, since my hectic school schedule prohibits me from doing so. :(

There is a railroad train station scene and that scene was shot in
my home town of Sacramento, California. That week when they were
shooting the scene I went out and tried to be an extra for the film,
but in order to be just an extra you had to put your name and other information months prior.
One of my friends told me that for several months there were
castings for asian actors and actresses to be an extra in an
upcoming film that was going to be shot in Sacramento. How did
I missed that casting call?:shock: :blink: :doh: I'm such a dummy!!!!

Oh I know. My friend told me about the castings for the extras. I could have been in it too, but they were being held all the way in Burbank and I didn't have the time or ride to go :( :cry:

morbidexistence said:
:rolleyes: i'm here again...
btw michelle yeoh is malaysan...BUT...her parents are ethnically chinese...
her name Yeoh is chinese...:P and they gave her a whole chinese name...:innocent:

Alright, I don't understand your logic.. you delete a post, vent and have a tantrum, and then you come back and post the same thing you deleted!:huh:

I cannot wait to see this movie.. loved the book!
Whether or not she is Japanese, it's HOLLYWOOD.. and the day a true CROATIAN will play in a CROATIAN role.. is when HOLLYWOOD is dead, I'm just saying that b/c I'm Croatian. Blood is fake, it's all about special effects.. (Lord of the rings in not real, LOL).. I hope she does this role justice.

Now can we move on and talk about the amazing pictures, the beautiful clothing and maybe even the book!!??!

I loved the book...the language in it was fantastic, perfect for all the descriptions...I loved reading descriptions of the outfits and hair ornaments, colour is more vivid in my imagination I find...it's definitely worth reading the book before you see the film.

*AndoraStar* said:
I cannot wait to see this movie.. loved the book!

I'm very tentative about seeing it. I just have a feeling Hollywood ruined it, liked they ruined many other beautiful novels (i.e. Hannibal). :sick:

Does anyone know what day it's gonna come out? I think I'm gonna be on an airplane the day it comes out! :cry:

The movie opens in the United States December 9th
I don't know when it's going to open anywhere else.....

it opens the 19th Jan in Oz .a.arrgghh..that's too far away

Special engagements start on December 9th in America, however it opens everywhere on December 14th. Here are the other release dates from IMBD:

Country Date
Japan 29 November 2005 (Tokyo) (premiere)
Hong Kong 9 December 2005
USA 9 December 2005
Japan 10 December 2005
Italy 16 December 2005
Sweden 25 December 2005
Israel 29 December 2005
Argentina 5 January 2006
Malaysia 6 January 2006
Australia 12 January 2006
Denmark 13 January 2006
Poland 13 January 2006
Spain 13 January 2006
UK 13 January 2006
Germany 19 January 2006
Singapore 19 January 2006
Switzerland 19 January 2006 (German speaking region)
Iceland 20 January 2006
Philippines 25 January 2006 (Manila)
Hungary 2 February 2006
Egypt 8 February 2006
Finland 17 February 2006
Czech Republic 23 February 2006
Bulgaria 26 February 2006
Belgium 1 March 2006
France 1 March 2006
Switzerland 1 March 2006 (French speaking region)
Netherlands 2 March 2006

Oh no. It's opened yesterday here in HK.. thank god the trailers aren't all over TV or I'd have to switch the telly or change channel everytime Gong Li or Zhang Ziyi came on screen. Yuck.

And clearly, the reason why they got these chinese actresses instead of japanese ones is because Zhang Ziyi is probably one of the most famous Asian actresses in Hollywood and they need a big name to carry the film. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any big name Japanese actresses in Hollywood. Which is why Michelle Yeoh is in it as well. I wonder if they offered any roles to Lucy Liu... if they did, she clearly had enough sense to turn it down. Maybe because she'd have to play a Japanese character? I dunno, but I loved how in Kill Bill they made Lucy Liu's character part Chinese and when it was brought up that she was Chinese dressed up in a Kimono and playing with swords, she cut off all their heads, haha. Brilliant.

So anyway, I definitely won't be watching this. It was an awful book anyway, I have no idea how it got so popular. Terribly dragging.

^^^ I disagree with you jennifer.....the book was GREAT and
people have different taste....

^I agree with you Jennifer...it did drag on a bit!
I thought there was some v. dodgy cheesy parts where you could tell it was a non-Japanese person writing it. Not so much cliched, but definitely forced.

Yes, I just saw this movie. I was actually surprised that I liked the Chronicles of Narnia more than the Memoirs of a Geisha. It was rather disappointing, at least for me. :( But it wasn't terrible, just ok.

^That is exactly why I like to read the book first. If I end up hating the movie that I would hold that opinion throughout the book and prob. never change my mind. Unlike starting a book with a fresh point of view.

I actually find that the books are usuallya lot better than the film..they can go into more details that in a film maybe a bit hard to put in to a movie..the most minute details maybe a bit odd or even irrelevant in a movie
I remember i read the book Alive..and i was so disappointed with the movie....movies tend to usually leave alot out...
plus in a book..you can really see the book in your own way...everyone who has read this book has different visions of the characters, scenery, kimonos..so i guess everyone has different expectations of the movie...i dont' think i relaly care if the movie is a block buster hit..i guess i'm just really curious to see how the characters are portrayed and to see the beautiful scenery and kimono's..can't wait^_^

i read the book years ago when it first came out, and it's one of my favorite books. saw the movie when it came out on Friday, and i loved the movie also. i definitely think the book was better, but the movie wasn't bad. the visual effects were stunning. the kimonos were gorgeous. i think it definitely helped that i had read the book a long time ago, and forgot a lot of details, because then i didn't expect things to be a certain way in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->