Zhang Ziyi In Memoirs Of A Geisha

Thank you for the beautiful pictures!

As for the whole Chinese/Japanese controversy, I think it is lacking a bit of finesse saying that American/European people are 'too dense' (OK, no one said 'too dense', but that the feeling) to make the difference. I am French and, as through I am can't make an extremely fine difference between Asian people, they are not all the same to me.
So, after this introduction I come to the point: acting require a part of transformation. You cannot ask Denzel Washington to play Mozart but you can ask Sienna Miller to put on dark contact lenses, cut her hair, lose a bit of weight and play Eddie. Based on that, Zhang and Gong can pull playing Japanese women.
Zhang possess a unique face with a strong bone structure who is neither chinese nor Japanese (or at least she differs greatly from all the Chinese women I have ever seen, and they are a lot in Paris). Her face is naturally odd and beyond ethnic clichés, so why not?
Gong is much more chinese looking, but she is a pro and lost a lot of weigh for the role (anyone who've seen Raising the red lantern can remember her being much plumier and her face rounder). The results: a thinner frame and some killer cheekbones. Add make up to that and really, she look Japanese enough for the film.
The one who is a total miscast and a joke is Yeoh. She not going to convince anyone (even 'dense' Western people, LOL), that she has a drop of Japanese blood in her vein.
Save from her, what's the fuss all about?

Now, I have scans from the December 2005 Vogue US article on Memoirs. The pics are gorgeous, I can post if it has not been done and anyone is interested.
:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
oh harumi pls post :flower:
i'm very keen on seeing the lovely costumes..

please post..i'd love to see them :D

I have to try and get my hands on a scanner. I have the Time mag that i talked about earlier..it's pretty good article..i really wanna post it.....i'll have to see if i can find one

:rofl: !!! omg... excellent work bobby lee..

'you! you're the most beautiful girl in japan"..
"what the?"

NicoleKass said:
Check that out guys. Its so funny !!

http://justjared.blogspot.com/2006_01_08_justjared_archive.html (Mad Tv's Memoirs of Geisha)

:lol:
That is hilarious but the really sad thing is that the clip does not look like too much of a parody compared to the movie.
Just seen it today and really I can't understand what is the whole Golden Globe fuss about it.
It is a beautiful clip, with beautiful women and splendid costumes, but that's about it.
Zhang is bland and boring, Yeoh is not credible, Watanabe (that I adore) is uninspired and uninspiring, the man who plays Nobu is great but we get to see so few of him, same thing for Pumpkin. The only great performance is Gong Li's, who is just magnificent. She managed to show Hatsumoto's complexity and flaws and she is just so damn gorgeous she stole the show. Sadly, those who read the book know she is wrote off at the middle of the movie, leaving us poor audience with one hour left of the most stylish SOAP opera since Sex and the City.
Well, at least that's my feelings.

One a brighter side, the Vogue spread, as requested. :flower: All scanned by me.

Gong Li, that goddess:

The cute Zhang:

The article:

lovely pics Harumi thanks for sharing! Personally I envisioned Gong Li as Mameha instead of Michelle Yeoh but oh well... she was spectacular as Hatsumomo. More range for her I suppose.

something about michelles tone of voice when shes acting and her look doesn't really translate into the 'quiet beauty' described in the novel..

maybe bc she does a lot of action movies over in asia:innocent:

the vogue spread was lovely... i usually think gong li is only pretty -sometimes- but she looks like she has 'an aura' in those 2 photos..

I have something entertaining for you guys.....

Ziyi Zhang Proves You Actually Can Learn Something From Eminem's Lyrics

Memoirs of a Geisha star Ziyi Zhang's method of learning English nearly landed her in trouble, as she picked up the language by listening to and repeating obscene Eminem lyrics.
The Chinese screen beauty studied music and commercials to learn words and phrases, but she admits she wasn't initially aware of how offensive her Eminem-style English was.
She explains, "It was television commercials and Eminem. I loved to watch the commercials because they pronounce their words so clearly. I don't always know what (Eminem) is talking about, so I write down the lyrics and repeat them. Later, I understood how rude they were."

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2006/01/16/ziyi_zhang_proves_you_can_learn_somethin

hm.. ziyi never struck me as the type of girl who'd listen to eminem.. she seemed so flowery with bouts of diva-esque behaviour..

actually its not as strange as it sounds.. one of my cousins learned english from listening to rap as well.. weirder bc she was legally deaf and needed the help of a hearing aid and loud speakers. yet her english is pretty good, except for an occasional slurring of the words bc of her hearing. it took her only 2 years.. quite extraordinary really..

Bellissima said:
I have something entertaining for you guys.....

Ziyi Zhang Proves You Actually Can Learn Something From Eminem's Lyrics

http://www.starpulse.com/Actresses/Zhang,_Ziyi/Memoirs of a Geisha star Ziyi Zhang's method of learning English nearly landed her in trouble, as she picked up the language by listening to and repeating obscene Eminem lyrics.
The Chinese screen beauty studied music and commercials to learn words and phrases, but she admits she wasn't initially aware of how offensive her Eminem-style English was.
She explains, "It was television commercials and Eminem. I loved to watch the commercials because they pronounce their words so clearly. I don't always know what (Eminem) is talking about, so I write down the lyrics and repeat them. Later, I understood how rude they were."

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2006/01/16/ziyi_zhang_proves_you_can_learn_somethin

i think that's cute..lol

You guys should check out Kar Wai Wong's "2046" with both Gong Li and Zigi Zhang...powerful love movie.

I just saw the movie last night, and I couldn't have been more disappointed. What a waste of a beautiful story! and a waste of my time.. I want my 1.5 hours of my life back.

I really think this movie has some serious casting problem.
I have read the novel long long time ago and I have always think that Michelle Yeon suits the character of Hatsumomo and Hatsumom is great for Mameha.But I am not big fan of the movie nor the book anyway.

Now, on the Chinese/Japanese thing. I think a superior actor/actress can surpasses ethnicity in any films but not Zhang with so few trainings. (three months? It takes years to become a Geisha!)

And...China is a very broad area and 53 different ethnicities. Although I used to live in Japan and I am Chinese, the Japanese would keep, and I am no kidding thinking that I am a Japanese girl or a Nikkei-jin even when I am not wearing clothes that a usual girl would wear. I still remember how my friend Mariko believed that I am Japanese until I speak with accent. Perhaps it is because I am pale(???) or I have that very cute(???) look people tend to associate with Japan?? Even the boss lady of a prestigous and long standing onsen thought I was Japanese.

Sometimes I feel uncomfortable with that, but hey, I got over it. /sorry for ranting...

I finally went and saw the film over the weekend...and i must say....contrary to everyone elses comments..i rather enjoyed it... :D

i went in there and totally tried to forget about the book ....tried to belive i'd never read it before..just so that i wouldn't be constantly be comparing it and criticizing things that may have been slightly different form the book..and by doing that i really really enjoyed the film.....even my boyfriend really got into it..lol
he was surprised that he did really liek it as much as he did..he thought it would be boring

The only thing i found a little disappointing was that i thought there would be alot more colour ...it did seem a little dark...but oh...how beautiful were the kimono ^_^ ...

and i think the cast did an extraordinary job.....i mean how hard would it have been for them to convey there emotion like that when most of them couldn't speak english..i applaud them for that...Zhang, Gong Li and Michelle were FANTASTIC....the whole cast was......AMAZING...great job

purplelucrezia said:
Just curious, how do feel about the upcoming Bride and Prejudice? :flower:

Ummm Bride and Prejudice is LOOSELY based off of Pride and Prejudice and it's perfectly acceptable to feature Indians in the movie, because movie features Indian culture, and the director herself is Indian so I think it's pretty safe to say she knows about her culture.

But I agree with you Purple, on a later post..it's nice to see diversity in cinema. As long as it's featured respectfully and honestly.

I've seen the movie about a week ago and I think it's awesome. Gosh! Zhang Zi Yi is such a great actress.. Her roles always have a kind of i-don't-care attitude. She never has that expression of hurt or dissapointment or anykind of weakness on her face.. She kind of hide them all inside & in her eyes.. Which makes you think she's a very strong person on the outside but extremely sensitive full of love on the inside & ... Dunno if you guys have that feeling too but that's what I feel about her characters she's ever played..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->