Memoirs of a Geisha banned from China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harumi

Reaction score
China ban for Memoirs of a Geisha

_41284820_memoirs203.jpg
Memoirs of a Geisha is nominated for six Academy Awards

Hollywood film Memoirs of a Geisha has been banned in China after coming in for criticism in the country's media.
The decision to cast Chinese actresses Ziyi Zhang and Gong Li in leading roles as Japanese women has caused controversy in China.
Critics say it is insensitive because of Japan's atrocities during their occupation of China in the 1930s.
The Oscar-nominated film, based on Arthur Golden's 1997 novel, was due to be released next week.
'Negative response'
The decision follows a reported ban on Oscar favourite Brokeback Mountain, which was judged too controversial to be shown in China, where homosexuality is taboo.
Film company Sony Columbia Tristar Pictures said Memoirs of a Geisha would not be released in China "because of the negative social response to the film reflected on various media".
"We were pleased with the acceptance of the film in November and were disappointed by this decision," a spokesman for Sony Pictures Entertainment said.
Illegal copies of the film are already available in China, one of the main sources of imported pirate film DVDs in the UK.

From the BBC

Wonder how this world would be if all the nations keep hate their ex-enemies from the past this much... :innocent:

well after the controversy over the japenese textbooks 'editing out' what they did to china - the ban was pretty much expected

there's that touch of communism for ya....

Excuse me but this has NOTHING to do with communism OR racism. You obviously do not know of China's past with Japan.

Excuse me but I think its racism if you ban something because of somebodys race/ culture/ religion/ etc..!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's close mindedness. China censors/bans all sex scenes, it apparently banned the film due to a sex scene in it.

Excuse me but I think its racism if you ban something because of somebodys race/ culture/ religion/ etc..!!

First of all, racism is the belief that one race is superior to another.

China did not ban Memoirs of a Geisha because it feels she's superior to Japan. The government did it because allowing Memoirs of a Geisha to be shown would spark some national outrage and dig up old ghosts.

I suggest all of you said communism and racism and close-mindeness to google 'r*pe of Nanking'. Maybe you'll understand this issue better.

^ That's total b.s. then, there was no sex scene....unless China has a completely different idea of what a sex scene constitutes.

As for the ban, here's what I think...China banning a movie because it takes place in Japan and focuses on a specific cultural aspect of Japan because of the history between the two coutries is a bit much imo. Have your opinions, and hold your grudges for what is in the past, but really, it's just a movie, banning it is a bit extreme/

I think the producers of the film did not care about cultural frictions. They simply wanted to make a film for a western audience. It's not just China, but it also got alot of slack in Japan. This is still a tough issue. Even though it was released in Japan, still alot of people there really resented the fact that chinese actresses played main roles...and especially as Geishas.

I suppose for people who don't understand asian culture and the conflicts of history, it's hard to explain.

It's not really a political issue to be honest. If this film was to be released in China, people would probably burn cinemas down and other things. Well maybe not that far but there would definitely be trouble.

And again I feel it's simply an issue that's hard for others to understand.

Ok ... as far as I understand, very nationalist chinese people may not be happy that high-profile chinese actresses portray japanese women ... and even promote a culture that is completely alien to many people (esp. old ... remember that Chine opened up recently, but minds hasnt on everyone).

And on Japan ... they're very proud of being japanese, and they cud easily take offense that one of their most beloved symbols -geisha- are bein represented by gaijin (non japanese).

Ok ... you have to cut some slack to both countries ... they do have a hundreds of years history and rivers of blood has been spilled. Now ... this is the XXI century ... carring all that karma is not good!
Stopping the chi from flowing is no good!

So ... I guess if I was a chinese fan of Zhang I'd be bummed, but I cud still buy or rent the dvd.

ultramarine said:
Ok ... you have to cut some slack to both countries ... they do have a hundreds of years history and rivers of blood has been spilled. Now ... this is the XXI century ... carring all that karma is not good!
Stopping the chi from flowing is no good!

Well said!! :flower:

But on the other hand, if here we can't talk about this topic in peace, we shouldn't be surprised about what's going on out there in real.. :( :flower:

I thought it wasn't banned...it is just not being released? It's just not added to the quota of foreign films showing...where did I read that...err...

besides...there are so many pirated disks available if Chinese people wanted to see it they'd have no problems getting a copy. I got mine back in December :unsure:

eternitygoddess said:
First of all, racism is the belief that one race is superior to another.

China did not ban Memoirs of a Geisha because it feels she's superior to Japan. The government did it because allowing Memoirs of a Geisha to be shown would spark some national outrage and dig up old ghosts.

I suggest all of you said communism and racism and close-mindeness to google 'r*pe of Nanking'. Maybe you'll understand this issue better.

Japanese war crimes took place a long time ago (and they barely even compare to the atrocities the Chinese government have perpetrated against their own people and against the various nations they have subjugated, there's no outrage when a Chinese person plays a Tibetan). To suggest that Memoirs of A Geisha is offensive in casting a Chinese person as a Japanese person is to suggest that ALL Japanese people are liable for Japanese war crimes. That is utterly racist, that's like me walking up to a German and spitting in their face for what happened during the holocaust.

If you actually read a quality newspaper you would be aware of the incitement to hatred by right wing Chinese groups over Japanese war crimes...

eternitygoddess said:
Excuse me but this has NOTHING to do with communism OR racism. You obviously do not know of China's past with Japan.
China being a communist country is a valid point. Democracy is more or less nonexistent in China. The media who launched the campaign for the movie to be 'banned' are controlled by the Government, you can be sure of it. That a cultural product product (however bad it is) could be so easily censored by politician, well, that screams communism to me.
Beside, saying that it is not about racism is delusional. You gave a definition of racism (believing your race is superior), what about that one: a strong hatred and despite of another race and its culture. Sorry but I see racism here.
Also, I know my history. Of course what lies beneath all that story is WWII. Yet shall I remind you what the German did to Jews, Slavs, their war prisoners and half of Europe? No one forgot, yet we moved one.
PS: the film was released in Japan, that should tell you something

PrinceOfCats said:
Japanese war crimes took place a long time ago (and they barely even compare to the atrocities the Chinese government have perpetrated against their own people and against the various nations they have subjugated, there's no outrage when a Chinese person plays a Tibetan). To suggest that Memoirs of A Geisha is offensive in casting a Chinese person as a Japanese person is to suggest that ALL Japanese people are liable for Japanese war crimes. That is utterly racist, that's like me walking up to a German and spitting in their face for what happened during the holocaust.

If you actually read a quality newspaper you would be aware of the incitement to hatred by right wing Chinese groups over Japanese war crimes...
Well thank you for expressing my thoughts far better than I did.
Karma.:flower:

China obviously have issues with freedom of speech and expression
why do they try to brainwash their people??
even going as far as censoring google searches!

The community posting guidelines clearly states this:

Absolutely no discussions of politics is allowed. As we all come from different parts of the world with varying liberal and conservative views, an attack or offensive comment against another nation, a head of state or international and national policies of other nations only leads to disputes -- all of which have nothing to do with fashion.

For the above reason, this thread needs be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarenabrilcoleman
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->