Givenchy "Dahlia Noir" Fragrance : Mariacarla Boscono by Mert & Marcus

Superb video. This is now my all time favourite perfume ad video. That is no mean feet considering the pervious title holder held that spot for 10 years.

The video is super hot! I haven't seen the perfume anywhere yet, but I want it just because the ad & commercial are so amazing.

if this smells as good as it looks then I must have this
I love the entire concept for the fragrance
and MCB is killer in this, the video is so hypnotic

Harper's Bazaar Mexico November 2011

bellazon

Givenchy’s Intoxicating New Scent

Riccardo Tisci is keeping busy at the house of Givenchy, mixing up a scent as enchanting as his muse, Mariacarla Boscono
Givenchy-s-Intoxicating-New-Scent_articleimage.jpg

Mariacarla Boscono has a heart-shaped face, wide-set eyes, and a tiny chin—features so ethereal and elfin, one wouldn’t be surprised to find that her ears are pointed. When he first spotted this face in 1997, Riccardo Tisci knew instantly that he had found the fleshly embodiment of his future work; Boscono was his message to the fashion world, personified. “She’s super romantic, beautiful—but at the same time intelligent looking, so it’s not a perfection beauty. It’s sharp, and [she has a] darkness, which is my style,” Tisci says.

The enchantment was mutual. “I never met somebody who just couldn’t help himself but do clothes—even when he was just a student or just chilling out at home, he would cut out and make things,” Boscono says, her Italianate purr surprisingly substantial given the wispy figure from which it emanates. “It’s kind of like an artist or a musician, a Mozart, just born to play music naturally. That drive totally fascinated me.” At the time, Boscono was already gaining attention as a 17-year-old fledgling model; Tisci was a student at London’s Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design. She agreed to pose for his graduate collection; the shoot led to dinner, which led to sleeping over at each other’s apartments, shared vacations, and, eventually, that particular fashion-world symbiosis of designer and muse.

Who else, then, would Tisci choose to represent his latest endeavor, his inaugural fragrance for the house of Givenchy, Dahlia Noir? Givenchy has a host of profitable fragrances, including 2003’s Very Irrésistible and 2009’s Ange ou Démon le Secret (fronted, respectively, by Liv Tyler and Uma Thurman). However, Dahlia Noir is the first one created with the input of the house’s head designer since 1957, when M de Givenchy simultaneously launched Le De (its moniker referenced the designer’s own aristocratic name) and, in honor of his muse Audrey Hepburn, the rose oriental L’Interdit.

On a sunny day in June, an unshaven, 37-year-old Tisci chain-smokes American Spirits in a small, dramatically darkened room in Givenchy’s elegant Parisian hôtel particulier. Here, Hubert de Givenchy once fitted Hepburn’s little black dresses. Now, clearly, the house is led by an homme of a different breed. In his tailored white shirt bearing the logo of New York skater brand Alife, Tisci still has both the scruffy look and the kinetic, up-all-night energy of that former art student. “I don’t sleep much,” he admits. “I think sleeping is losing time of the day.”

Tisci has had ample cause for insomnia of late, as speculation intensifies that he could be appointed the new head designer at Dior, a post vacated by John Galliano in March. “It is nice to have a lot of people support me, a lot of people mention my name, because it means that what I’m doing, people appreciate it,” he says before attempting—unsuccessfully—to put the rumors to rest. “The sure thing is that I’m staying with Givenchy…I’m staying, I’m staying.”

Dahlia Noir’s plush-petaled inspiration is a scentless bloom; its name was borrowed from the 1987 James Ellroy novel based on the real-life 1947 murder of Hollywood hopeful Elizabeth Short, aka the Black Dahlia. The scent is a floral chypre featuring notes plumbed from Tisci’s own memory—in particular the rose, which reminds him of his mother and sisters—plus iris, mimosa, and a rich base of sandalwood and patchouli. It marries Givenchy past and present: an old-fashioned floral slashed with an utterly suggestive undercurrent of nude skin. “The first note is very sharp,” says Tisci approvingly, “and then the evaporation on the skin makes it more powdery, more romantic, which is really what I want. My woman, she is very sharp, but sometimes she’s got a romantic side.”

Hubert de Givenchy was a precocious aristocrat who, at 10, had to persuade his blue-blooded family to let him follow his passion for design. Tisci, on the other hand, grew up poor and (from the age of four) fatherless, the youngest child and only son in a family of nine children in the small southern town of Palagianello, Italy. Even then, though, he knew what it took to give a brand “glory,” as he puts it: an unmistakable, indelible signature. “I was seeing things like, Oh my god, it’s very Versace,” he says. “That was my dream for my fashion…a design that is very recognizable.” Ever since the floor-length, witchy skirts of his first couture collection for Givenchy for fall 2005, Tisci has been as faithful to his tropes as he is to his muses, tempering iconography from his Catholic roots, Goth symbols, and allusions to pagan rituals with the rigorous construction of his Parisian atelier, a taste for gender-bending beauty, and—in addition to nude, white, cream, and the occasional scream of, say, shocking pink—black, black, and more black.
elle.com

Best fragrance campaign of the year for sure. The TV spot is so haunting.

Riccardo Tisci's Dahlia Noir

2Yh4e.jpg
aNvjC.jpg

Givenchy creative director Riccardo Tisci grew up in a house with nine women. He knows a thing or two about perfume.
Givenchy’s avant-garde creative director, Riccardo Tisci, is known for his gothic and romantic aesthetic. For his first perfume he created a “fleure fatale” cocktail of rose, iris and warm, smoky sandalwood. Here he shares his inspirations, memories and love of the perfume world.

Tell us about your new fragrance, Dahlia Noir.
I’ve been at Givenchy for six years, and for me it was the right time to create a fragrance and strengthen the brand’s identity. Dahlia Noir is a fragrance as singular as beauty. But its elegance, its neoclassical nobility doesn’t cut it off from the rest of the world or women in general. I sought out this ambivalence, a rare secret to be shared by as many women as possible. I wanted women to share in this dream of mine.

Tell us about the notes, why did you choose rose and wood notes?
From my first meeting with François Demachy [the perfumer] when we were developing the Dahlia Noir range, I spoke to him about emotions and olfactory memories, not formulas. I remember the smell of my mother and sisters’ make-up, which had a distinctive powdery and rosy scent. This is why we constructed Dahlia Noir starting with a rosy note, enriched with iris and mimosa. We then added sophisticated woody notes such as sandalwood and patchouli to give the fragrance a contemporary edge.

Tell us about your collaboration with François Demachy. How did you work together?
During my many meetings with him, we developed a real closeness. I admire his exceptional finesse, his precise approach. In my feminine world, he was a masculine figure who helped me bring Dahlia Noir to life. I had so much respect for him that during our meetings, I never smoked a single cigarette, and I never wore perfume. I would go home, meditate on what he told me, fully tuned in, very humble with regard to his scientific knowledge and eager to learn some of it.

You’ve mentioned the smell of your sister’s make-up, what other memories did you use to colour this fragrance?
I grew up in a family with nine women: my mother and eight sisters. Of modest means, but very conscious of their femininity, my mother and sisters worshipped perfume; it was almost sacred to them. They would specially wear perfume on Sundays, because it was rare and precious, and because it was a way to observe a ritual. Beyond being a way to express one’s personality, for me perfume is most of all a moment filled with powerful emotions.

What was the thought behind naming a fragrance after an odourless flower?
I thought about Dahlia Noir for a long time. I had been carrying this name inside me along with the totally imaginary flower it refers to, which doesn’t actually exist in nature. In my mind, it’s an abstract flower, very gothic, but also very whimsical and romantic. We conveyed this tension between force and fragility with rather potent top notes followed by a powdery softness.

The name Dahlia Noir evokes a very mysterious, almost dangerous femme fatale feeling. Was that your intention?
I wanted to materialise in the fragrance and its name a seductive black angel, a distinctive couture heroine emanating a dark softness, a fatal tenderness.

Does Dahlia Noir pay homage to James Ellroy’s novel The Black Dahlia?
The Black Dahlia, in the book by James Ellroy, is above all a heroine. In my opinion, this story is more about passion than crime. Passion pushes each individual to the summit, to excess. The culmination of emotions can then lead to acts committed under the influence of passion.

You’re known for your interesting choices for faces of the brand, like Lea T and Steven Thompson. What made Mariacarla Boscono stand out as the face of Dahlia Noir?
Mariacarla and I met 15 years ago. She’s like a sister to me. She’s distinguished, strong and delicate, subtly elegant, that’s what I love. She is extremely feminine but also exudes an androgynous grace, one of the strong aspects of the Givenchy appeal. I would have been able to choose any celebrity, but that would have made no sense.

How has the Givenchy brand evolved since you arrived in 2005?
When I started working for Givenchy in 2005, the reference image was Audrey Hepburn wearing a black dress, gloves and sunglasses. In the archives, I saw how innovative Hubert de Givenchy was in his work, how avant-garde. In 1959, for instance, he presented an all-white collection on exclusively black women… It is in light of this pioneering side of Hubert de Givenchy that my work resonates. In the Givenchy iconography, several things inspire me: the colour black, a certain romanticism, a fragile strength, delicate yet unique, always based on a certain nobility, an aristocratic distance, without contempt, a peaceful posture.

What’s your vision of the Givenchy woman?
Today, the identity of the Givenchy woman is very recognisable. She has deployed her mystery, personality and uncommon force as much as her grace and poetry, neither totally soft nor totally black. Emotion is at the core of my message (my shows, my fashion, my music, my first fragrance).

How did designing a fragrance differ to designing fashion? What was the creative process?
Dahlia is crafted like a couture gown, a perfuming garment. It’s a tactile, sensuous and precious fragrance that cloaks as much as it lays bare. It evokes an addictive sensuality and is in keeping with the quest for quality and structure in the exercise of Haute Couture.

What is it that you love about the fragrance world?
It’s often said that perfume is like a piece of clothing, an impalpable one, a sort of olfactory metaphor for clothes. I go one step further by saying that the chemistry of the skin and that of the fragrance results in a unique sensual message, specific to each woman. That is what fascinates me. Clothes touch the body, envelop it, caress it. Perfume is an intangible trail, and yet the message it leaves is as – if not more – powerful than a dress. There is a special blend between skin and fragrance, unpredictable and unique, which enables a perfume to be designed for all women and a single woman at once.
vogue.com.au

Best fragrance campaign of the year for sure. The TV spot is so haunting.
Agreed. It's also just about the most amazing perfume I've ever smelled. Everything about this is perfect.

Marie Claire Russia February 2012 ebook30

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->