Givenchy Homme To Close....

brian

Reaction score
i've known this for a while
and i didn't want to post anything...but seeing ozwald's final collection made me a little sad,so why the hell not??
there's been no "formal" announcement by givenchy yet...
but givenchy homme is no more...closed for good...
and givenchy nyc boutique's final day open was on tuesday.
they will consider re-opening in 2008 but that is only based on how well the rtw by tisci will sell in dept stores etc...

that's all :(

Are you talking about just the 'homme' division or the whole house Brian???!!

just the homme, thank god. but femme by tisci is also in trouble financially...didn't you suspect something when the couture collection was only 25 looks when the season before it was 40+??

It better be just the homme division! :shock:

ETA: Oh thank heavens...your couture observation makes a lot of sense now.

But it makes sense, considering their decision for using just a simple showroom this season...

Givenchy in new york is closing!? OMG im going to be sick

Faith Akiyama said:
It better be just the homme division! :shock:

But it makes sense, considering their decision for using just a simple showroom this season...
yeah, but i'm not even sure if that f/w will be produced...might just be for face value, ya know?

brian said:
^ yeah, i'm not even sure if that f/w will be produced...might just be for face value, ya know?

Well i have the LVHM Finance Report and Givenchy is Growing the only label whos clothing division had a loss last fiscal year was Dior.

Thanks for the insider info Brian. It is quite sad anytime a house shuts down though as a femme I must say I'm glad it's the homme side that went first. I'm surprised though - since they seem to be on the up critically and i'm sure their beaute and parfum are selling well enough.....Brian - do you know what the biggest cost is or where they are struggling?

Meg said:
Brian - do you know what the biggest cost is or where they are struggling?
i'm not sure about that but the menswear was not moving at all, beautiful as it was. oz cuts a great suit!! also, irrelavent or not, i've noticed that that the past few seasons (or all of them that oz has been doing???) have been panned by critics.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just called the Givenchy store the # is disconnected

im calling paris

Play us a song your the Piano Man,
Play us a song Tonite.
were all in the mood for a melody,
to make us feel alright.
La La La lalalaa la la lalaala......
(piano man- Billy Joel)

Maybe i should start drinking.'
I may need it to drown my sorrows........

brian said:
i'm not sure about that but the menswear was not moving at all, beautiful as it was. oz cuts a great suit!! also, irrelavent or not, i've noticed that that the past few seasons (or all of them that oz has been doing???) have been panned by critics.

well , do you think they panned it because it wasnt good,
or they panned it because Ozwald was doing it...........

the last collection presented today is so young and fresh.....what he should have been doing i think his last 2 collections were too dressed up

brian said:
yikes... irrelevant ****
typing in a furor....

Oh god, i thought you meant Givenchy by tisci when i saw the title. But as it's only for the homme, i don't really care. It's always sad when a brand closes down (like cloak), but i don't really have any feelings for the homme. Sad about the NY-boutique though.

brian said:
^ LOL,z!!!
I hate to throw the issue of race into the discussion,
neither am I accusing anyone of anything, but i think this i s a subject that needs some serious discussion, and possibly its own thread,
But was his collections panned because he was a black man hired by one of the most prestigious fashion houses in Paris?
Also, can a black designer (and im not talking about P. Diddyb, love him but he is NOT a designer, nor are any celebrities for that matter) truly succeed in the fashion inddustry.

Tracy reece is the only one making any real progrees in New York (and maybe Eric Gaskins, which only do private clients, his work is as good as Ralph Rucci)

Andre Walker in Paris has collasped,
Lawrence steele has disappeared of the Milan Scene
Patrick Robinson is a constant Struggle.
Stephen Burrows has just cancelled his FW 2007 presentation
Jessica Ogden has gone bust in London,
and now Ozwald, (albeit not his own label, thank God, which has been bankrupt already!!!!!)
and these a just a few of the known ones, I can give and endless list of start-ups that collapsed so quickly that no one ever heard of them (although this may not be race related, as a lot of start-ups generally collapse)

I would love an open, honest discussion on this subject.
unfortunately i wont have time to Start the thread and contribute as much as i would like, as i have a collection to finish.....
Maybe someone else can take the lead on this.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Losing yet another big name is perhaps not so bad as it may make room for someone younger and fresher. Besides the name was never synonymous with menswear except in that tax free airport tie kind of way. I bet they'll still keep a couple of licenses though...or it's really a BAD OMEN;

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inafrombaki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->