Givenchy Pre-Fall 2021 Paris

I felt this was the case when he was initially appointed but it's very similar to the situation of Alexander Wang at Balenciaga. It's entirely product driven, logo driven, hype driven with a group of the "it girls" of the moment posting on IG. It's dated & tired. No direction or soul to it and it does look very stiff. Especially after this year, all I have been gravitating to is luxe, wearable, EASY clothing.
There seems to be a case of completely misreading the room here. Does anyone really want to look like a rich b*tch (without an ounce of humour) in 2021? I suppose we'll see quick enough

If Hubert survived McQueen, I’m sure he is resting well at this point.

:rofl::rofl:

Please don't drag my dear McQueen like this. His collections were daring and experimentally even if the execution were kinda off. It's serve us fashion with the capital of F. After all these years we still remember Lee collections while with Matthew we will forget about it next season anyway.

:rofl::rofl:

Please don't drag my dear McQueen like this. His collections were daring and experimentally even if the execution were kinda off. It's serve us fashion with the capital of F. After all these years we still remember Lee collections while with Matthew we will forget about it next season anyway.

Ahahah! We love McQueen. He was a genius and he really took advantage of his stint at Givenchy and really became that uber-Couturier but more than the execution, his Givenchy was more than a slap on the face. It was very disrespectful...

He treated Givenchy like it didn’t have any history or heritage. In a way it went well with his « enfant terrible » reputation and even if he created some mesmerizing clothes during that era, I wish he had more respect for the house of Givenchy.

And I think his stint made it possible for Julien Macdonald to justify the mess he did with his FW2002 Couture.

I already know it's gonna be a mess - whenever LVMH brings out the Givenchy logo fabric (which looks like the Versace Key) you know they're desperate. I haven't seen that logo since Julien MacDonald almost 20 years ago

Ahahah! We love McQueen. He was a genius and he really took advantage of his stint at Givenchy and really became that uber-Couturier but more than the execution, his Givenchy was more than a slap on the face. It was very disrespectful...

He treated Givenchy like it didn’t have any history or heritage. In a way it went well with his « enfant terrible » reputation and even if he created some mesmerizing clothes during that era, I wish he had more respect for the house of Givenchy.

And I think his stint made it possible for Julien Macdonald to justify the mess he did with his FW2002 Couture.

I just look it's up and thanks for the laugh Madame :rofl:. Mcdonald's, I mean MacDonald was really served us empire new clothes realness with this one.

LVMH is trying to create their equivalent Daniel Lee's Bottega Veneta but without the ease of BV, only the stiffness (I admit I like the Bottega-esque sunglasses). The influencers, influencer-wannabes, and hypebeasts will probably eat it up (especially the logo pieces).

the tailored copied pieces are the best but those spikes...?

I do think he might be able to produce nice Haute Couture. he will be doing it right?
please surprise us!

I like the G chain on the handbags.
that’s all.

I knew Matthew from years ago because of his Kanye and Gaga association and I was hoping he’d be more out of the box mad but his Givenchy so far is just a blatant merchandising exercise. Too blatant in fact that it might not work. This is better than his debut but he needs to clean it up, and I don’t know if he can. At this point I’d be happy if he’ll bring out the theatrical stage costumes, pyro bra side he had than this generic influencer moodboard going on.

It’s weird to see another Givenchy reboot in three years.

Matthew’s strength lingers only through metallic furnishings, From chain straps, buckles, loops...etc. Remove those trademarks and what we can see are homunculi-shaped proportions that indirectly references his predecessors.

It's not necessary "IT" for the LVMH execs. It's not their job to consider it "IT".
Now, they needs to put everything on line to push for those bags because they depends too much on the Antigona. Sometimes pushing bags does not work (look at Celine, their most successful bags are still the ones designed by Phoebe).

The identity of Givenchy bags since Riccardo has been about structure and these bags here are good for that. The price point is going to be interesting because it can't be more expensive than a Celine for example.

How is it not their job when the bags are greenlighted by them? They must’ve considered them “IT” in hopes that they could blow up like a baguette, for instance. If they do sell well, the preconceived thinking that they are “IT” is then validated by the masses.

How is it not their job when the bags are greenlighted by them? They must’ve considered them “IT” in hopes that they could blow up like a baguette, for instance. If they do sell well, the preconceived thinking that they are “IT” is then validated by the masses.
I get what you mean but the job of the execs is not to consider the bags « IT ». That’s the job of the creative director and his design team. The job of the CEO is to see how marketable the bags are.
The success of a bag is also related to the dynamic of the house. If there’s a warm response to your aesthetic and you have a great design, the bag will succeed.

The execs will for example see that the bags in this collection are for different audiences. You don’t sell the bags with the big chunky chains like the more classic ones that are maybe more timeless. The simple one that looks like a Celine has the potential to be part of a permanent collection. The bags with the big chains are the ones you push to influencers, edgy celebrities and millenials.

I don’t really feel a particular energy in this new Givenchy but maybe once the situation in the world is more stable it might have a little sparkle.

ps: I must add that the validation part is really something you see at Vuitton because they have a whole handbags division in parallel to the fashion division.

This isn't any better than his debut; the styling is less desperate to connect with the kidz, that's all.

If I didn’t know about this guy as the new designer, and someone said this was an aborted diffusion/junior Givenchy line from 2009— likely with the involvement by someone like Nicola Formichetti, with no involvement from Riccardo, I’d easily believe it. It’s so shallow, derivative and painfully dated. And so painfully juvenile-- which I suppose is their selling point??? ...Who else but a 15yo would find any of this fresh in 2021…???

the tailored copied pieces are the best but those spikes...?

I do think he might be able to produce nice Haute Couture. he will be doing it right?
please surprise us!

I like the G chain on the handbags.
that’s all.

sure it will be nice. he will just copy the best pieces from tisci. safe it will be good.

I love some of the pieces, I'm sure wealthy people would spend on Givenchy, but I am not one of them. It looks overpriced contemporary clothes. and for all the dresses, I can't really imagine how many people could afford the dress can look nice in it.
I understand it's products and accessories driven. Look at all sales from luxury brands, the accessories is a HUGE part of the revenue, but I can't really see the identity of the brand. I can already imagine the new style of Givenchy and I expect a little bit more.

Looks like someone was all over the Tisci archive lolz

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->