GOSSIP:SJP's Gap Ads

I happen to think SJP is cute because she looks like an average girl (Aniston just looks boring and should NOT be a sex symbol AT ALL)

Anyway, I hated the GAP ads until I saw the Vogue GAP ads which I thought were cute where you can create the different looks with the cut out pages. Those particular pages appeal to the GAP demo, I think.

Also, I know Patricia Field was the stylist on SATC but I believe SJP did have more input on the clothing as the show became more successful and Carrie became more the "what's she going to wear" girl of television. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by saturnine@Aug 24 2004, 06:49 AM
Regardless of her physical appearance, she is a fashion icon, whether you like it or not.

I don't think the GAP ads are a work of art, but I feel they are appropriate for the market to which they project themselves.
[snapback]343642[/snapback]​

Read what I wrote before. Have you seen her in candid pics when her stylists weren't there to dress her? :innocent:

Originally posted by Erin@Aug 20 2004, 04:56 PM
:lol:

in a way, SO true...
[snapback]340209[/snapback]​

Has anyone noticed that Ms. Parker looks like a young Ruth Buzzi?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

No, I don't think she is the typical American standard of beauty, but her personality (even if it's the one that has been portrayed by the roles she's played) makes her a very attractive woman. Besides that, she's unique looking (Jennifer is not). I have to admit, I've crushed on her since "Square Pegs" was on the air. (hmmmm...that's a show that should be rereleased on DVD).

I also like the direction of the campaign being "how do you wear it?" It reminds me of the ones they used to do in the 80s. Even though Gap is a very cookie cutter store, this ad seems to be implying for people to do their own thing. Which is always a good direction in my book.

It's odd to see sjp up there on billboards for gap after watching satc for so long... but i think GAP was smart for getting her for the job... she is known all over for her fame from the show and her fashion appeal...

Tons of girls and teens everywhere will probably flock to gap just to buy the jeans that SJP wore.

It's all about the marketing.

Originally posted by CelineChic@Aug 24 2004, 03:28 PM
Read what I wrote before. Have you seen her in candid pics when her stylists weren't there to dress her? :innocent:
[snapback]343990[/snapback]​

Sorry, CelineChic, I did read your post, and should have perhaps been more specific.

I personally cannot stand her dress sense, and don't find her fashionable at all. Her dress sense is rather hit and miss, and she tends to look more vulgar than chic, in my honest opinion.

However, she does top Best Dressed lists, is known as a fashion icon through Carrie Bradshaw, despite, of course, having stylists, and seems to be considered a fashion darling.

That is what I meant. :flower:

FYI...models wear what stylists/editors tell them to wear...and most celebs do too when it comes to a photo shoot...vbecause they are representing a fashion house or a publication...

but for award shows and events...they just use a stylist to do their shopping...they actually decide what they are going to wear themselves(possibly with the help of their publicist)...they're not modelling the clothes after all..they're representing themselves...so don't blame the stylist if a celeb looks atrocious on the red carpet...some of them don't even use stylists...

as for wardrobe on tv and film...the actor works with the wardrobe person and the director to create the look of the character...

actors have a lot to say about what they wear...some don't really care and just wear what they're told...but many female actors really enjoy fashion and the wardrobe process...

the bigger the star the more input they may have...obviously...

sjp had a lot to say about her wardrobe on SATC...for better or for worse... ^_^ :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 21 2004, 05:57 PM
i LOVE the ads...i think they're some of the best styled ads gap has ever done...

and as far as how she looks...have you walked down the street lately?...look around...the average person isn't even as attractive as she is...so doesn't it make more sense to have a spokesperson who is more'normal' looking than some stunning superhuman 15 yr old that makes everyone feel inadequate...

i think the ads are amazing...and i haven't seen any that have been graffitied in my hood...

i especially love th eone with the knickers, cane and little blazer...very cool... :heart:  :flower:
[snapback]341139[/snapback]​

me too. i love the commercial... and i love sjp.

i love that she is of a unique look... and that she always manages to be impeccably darling.

there is just something about her that is appealing... :flower:

and as for sjp being a style icon... well, sjp played carrie and she did have a say in her wardrobe.

also, spj played carrie for 6 seasons. what made carrie so fabulously cute in her clothes was the fact that sjp was in them.

she isn't perfect looking. she is flawed. yet, she has a presence that made carrie's style appealing and marvelous.

spj is a fashion icon because she made carrie, carrie. and without the quirks, the wardrobe just would not have been as special. i mean, can you imagine kristin davis or even kate moss for that matter, running around having a manolo fetish while wearing knickers and old lace camisoles? or wearing the crazy pom poms on their heads? or huge fur coats to base ball games? it only worked because of sarah...

Originally posted by asta@Aug 25 2004, 06:02 AM
me too. i love the commercial... and i love sjp.

i love that she is of a unique look... and that she always manages to be impeccably darling.

there is just something about her that is appealing... :flower:

and as for sjp being a style icon... well, sjp played carrie and she did have a say in her wardrobe.

also, spj played carrie for 6 seasons. what made carrie so fabulously cute in her clothes was the fact that sjp was in them.

she isn't perfect looking. she is flawed. yet, she has a presence that made carrie's style appealing and marvelous.

spj is a fashion icon because she made carrie, carrie. and without the quirks, the wardrobe just would not have been as special. i mean, can you imagine kristin davis or even kate moss for that matter, running around having a manolo fetish while wearing knickers and old lace camisoles? or wearing the crazy pom poms on their heads? or huge fur coats to base ball games? it only worked because of sarah...
[snapback]344435[/snapback]​

I totally agree with this! I'm happy to see SJP in the ad's instead of the traditional models. I don't even think that sjp is that different looking. i think she is gorgeous! Beautiful smile and eyes. People complain when there are unattainable looking women in ads and they complain when there aren't.

i agree meg.

audrey hepburn was styled by givenchy... and kate moss by anita pallenberg... everyone is influenced or dressed by someone....

people are in denial if they don't think sjp is a style icon. she created a whole new marked for clothing and luxury items in america. she CHANGED fashion... even manolo talks about it in vogue. he said that carrie/sjp made him a super star.

oh and also meg, i agree about sarah. i find her so lovely.... i love her face... and think that she is very attractive. :flower:

I don't think Sarah is particularly good looking. But I can't believe how much people are berating her for the face she was born with. So WHAT? If anything I respect her more for being so successful and influential, without being traditionally beautiful.

agreed maya....although she has had work done along with the rest of the pack...
it seems that EVERYONE in hollywood gets stuff done...it's just standard practice...

kind of creepy really...like some weird episode of the twilight zone where everyone picks their new face and then magically gets transformed into some bastardized version of themselves... hollywood is so creepy to me... :unsure: :wacko: :ninja:

"Gap wants to take back its international expansion:
Having undergone recently its first lapel in sales for twenty months, the American group Gap gets ready to boost its international growth. According to Paul Pressler, general manager of the Californian company, quoted by Financial Times, Gap intends quite at the same moment to sell abroad its brands until now exclusively American, Old Navy and Banana Republic, and to resume its expansion on its international markets.The group of clothing studies besides the launch of a new claw on its domestic market." FT

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 21 2004, 04:57 PM
i LOVE the ads...i think they're some of the best styled ads gap has ever done...

and as far as how she looks...have you walked down the street lately?...look around...the average person isn't even as attractive as she is...so doesn't it make more sense to have a spokesperson who is more'normal' looking than some stunning superhuman 15 yr old that makes everyone feel inadequate...

i think the ads are amazing...and i haven't seen any that have been graffitied in my hood...

i especially love th eone with the knickers, cane and little blazer...very cool... :heart: :flower:
[snapback]341139[/snapback]​

i totally agree...i don't think sjp would walk into a gap under normal circumstances and i don't think she's this amazing beauty, but e! said it best when it said, she's the girl who proves that a little bit of fashion can turn an average girl into a style star.

i think this is one of the most successful ad campaigns gap has had in a while...i don't remember EVERYONE talking about gap ads like this since...well, ever really.

and i think it's TOO clever to have her accessorize her (what $40?) jeans with hundreds of thousands of dollars of jewels and hundreds of dollars worth of designer heels. very very very clever. like you can have her look, too if you have an AMEX black.

I think that SJP is beautiful. I would never call any person "ugly". maybe unfortunate looking, if they have some disease or something, but come on it' so mean to call SJP or Jen Anniston UGLY. Sure they may not look like models, but they are great people, and b/c of that, they don't need to be drop dead gorgeous.

Aniston I can't comment on except her downward frown smile irritates me...
BUT SJP, I've always liked even pre SATC days, and fell in love with her as Carrie. I've seen her in the city a few times (3) and she still strikes me as stylish - in a real/average NY woman's way, where it's more about the accessories than the clothes. I don't see the ads that far of a stretch - I just wish it wasn't head to toe Gap, as I could see her wearing a cool pair of Gap jeans with an awesome Malandrino blouse, some Blahniks and a street fair one of a kind funky purse. Not a far stretch for most (NY) women. I'm not a big Gap shopper myself, can probably count the items I have from there on 1 hand, but having SJP do this campaign has inspired me to at least take another look at their jeans.

I love SJP. I like her outfits more than most I see on celebs.

A fashion icon is borne when many many people emulate their style. SJP definetly has had that luck. Madonna's early style, Audrey's classic look, Twiggy's M mod style, Farrah Fawcett's haircut and look... SJP is that for the nineties. Her style capsule is kind of over now though, but we'll never know.

SJP= she is REAL. she can come off as a person (in looks) who we can relate to, unlike other supermodels. She is a fashion icon, when she gets dressed up, she looks great. Did anyone see SJP on Girls Just Wanna have Fun? She's a cutie!
So i cant say she is ugly, but she isnt pretty either, but she's got personality, thats for sure!

Whenever I forced my boyfriend to watch SATC with me, he'd always call SJP the "Ugly one with the big nose and the weird mole".... he liked Samantha... but don't even get me started on what he said about Miranda in the first 3 seasons. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReneeJ
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->