*gucci group drama/ mcQueen turns down YSL offer

Originally posted by ignitioned32@Jan 19th, 2004 - 7:29 am
At least Stella now recognizes she can't work at Gucci. :woot:
EXACTLY , IGNI !!! :innocent:

We await further news , with bated breath !!!

Yours , in anticiation , KIT :P

Originally posted by kit+Jan 19th, 2004 - 7:20 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kit @ Jan 19th, 2004 - 7:20 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-kit@Jan 15th, 2004 - 4:20 am
Further to this discussion , I hope that this sheds a little more light !!  :flower:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,...1123338,00.html

Any reactions to this ?

Yours  KIT  :unsure:
There's MORE news here , hot off the press !!!

http://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/story/s....asp?stid=14817

I wonder which ' smaller ' brands they mean....... ?

Could be really interesting !!!

Reactions , anyone ? :rolleyes:

Regards KIT :wink:[/b][/quote]
THINKS....... B)

I wonder whether this is what is making Lee McQueen so depressed ?
( see the GOSSIP section ) .

Have Pinault/Weinberg forced him to take on YSL Rive Gauche with the threat of selling his eponymous label ?

The resident gossip monger returns !!! :rolleyes:

Yours KIT :innocent:

UPDATE !!!

I've just read a report that Yves Saint Laurent , HIMSELF , could return to be artistic director of his own house , once Tom Ford has stepped down !!! :shock:

Do we put any credence in this ? :unsure:

I , for one , would LOVE to see him back !!! :wink:

Regards KIT B)

Originally posted by kit@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 9:24 am
I've just read a report that Yves Saint Laurent , HIMSELF , could return to be artistic director of his own house , once Tom Ford has stepped down !!! :shock:

:woot: I wish :blush:

Originally posted by Lena+Jan 23rd, 2004 - 2:40 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Jan 23rd, 2004 - 2:40 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-kit@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 9:24 am

:woot: I wish :blush: [/b][/quote]
as a consumer, that is one of the few people who i would want to invest in. it would keep me spending at ysl that's for sure.

i think Alexander (hows been sporting a fresh less agressive look) is following the FSforums and his been taking note of our advice :lol:

extracts & photo from wwd of today :flower:

Another Gucci Shock: McQueen Said Declining Design Position at YSL

By Miles Socha

PARIS — It looks like Pinault-Printemps-Redoute is moving on to plan B.

According to sources in Europe, Alexander McQueen — widely considered the heir apparent at Yves Saint Laurent following the exit of Tom Ford — has declined the job offer in order to concentrate on his signature fashion house.

The development throws into question the search for Ford’s design successors only weeks before he stages farewell shows for Gucci on Feb. 25 and YSL on March 7.

Sources said PPR is now considering :rolleyes: Stefano Pilati — who had been pegged as the shoo-in for Gucci — as an option for the YSL slot. He is currently women’s design director at YSL and considered a key internal talent.

As for Gucci, Bottega Veneta creative director :rolleyes: Tomas Meier has emerged as a potential contender to be added to the existing creative team, which PPR aims to keep intact. As reported, Narciso Rodriguez’s name has also been in wide play for YSL and Gucci.

Negotiations with McQueen, although off to a shaky start last year, were believed to have advanced in recent weeks, down to the multimillion-dollar salary and the number of collections he would have to design each year. One source said a contract was prepared and awaited only his signature.

But intimate sources say McQueen, who had a rocky tenure as the couturier of Givenchy in the late Nineties, is keen to devote all his efforts to his signature fashion house, which is 51 percent owned by Gucci Group. Last month in Milan, McQueen unveiled a new project: an ultra-luxurious signature men’s wear collection inspired by what he felt was lacking in his own wardrobe.

“The reason he declined [YSL] is because he wants to concentrate on his own brand,” said one source.

It was understood that McQueen has been pressing Gucci Group to expand his house, and such commitments could have been a golden carrot to entice him to accept the YSL post. Since acquiring McQueen in 2000, Gucci Group has opened flagships in New York, Milan and London, and launched the designer’s first perfume, Kingdom, under its YSL Beauté unit. ........

Attachments

• 021704_13_1_.jpg
    021704_13_1_.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1
thanks lena.. seems like they're only headhunting big names? ah well.

MCQUEEN TURNS YSL DOWN
ALEXANDER MCQUEEN has turned down fashion's biggest prize, the top job at Yves Saint Laurent. According to WWD, the British designer, who was favourite to replace Tom Ford at YSL when he leaves in April, told his bosses at the Gucci Group - which owns both companies - that he is enjoying the freedom of working under his own name, after years at Givenchy, and would rather concentrate on his signature label. His shock decision, which follows weeks of secret negotiations, not only throws a spanner in the works for YSL but is also likely to have a knock-on effect for Gucci, also losing Ford at the helm this season. Until now, Stefano Pilati, Ford's second-in-command at YSL, had been tipped as the obvious choice for Gucci. But, with just one week till Ford shows his last collection for Gucci (on February 25 in Milan) and less than three weeks until he takes his final bow for YSL (on March 7 in Paris) it looks like Pilati may now be granted YSL - a bigger fish in fashion terms - leaving Gucci for Tomas Meier, creative director of Bottega Veneta, also owned by the Gucci Group. (February 17 2004, AM)

From Vogue UK :woot:

Originally posted by Scott@Feb 17th, 2004 - 9:42 am
MCQUEEN TURNS YSL DOWN
ALEXANDER MCQUEEN has turned down fashion's biggest prize, the top job at Yves Saint Laurent. According to WWD, the British designer, who was favourite to replace Tom Ford at YSL when he leaves in April, told his bosses at the Gucci Group - which owns both companies - that he is enjoying the freedom of working under his own name, after years at Givenchy, and would rather concentrate on his signature label. His shock decision, which follows weeks of secret negotiations, not only throws a spanner in the works for YSL but is also likely to have a knock-on effect for Gucci, also losing Ford at the helm this season. Until now, Stefano Pilati, Ford's second-in-command at YSL, had been tipped as the obvious choice for Gucci. But, with just one week till Ford shows his last collection for Gucci (on February 25 in Milan) and less than three weeks until he takes his final bow for YSL (on March 7 in Paris) it looks like Pilati may now be granted YSL - a bigger fish in fashion terms - leaving Gucci for Tomas Meier, creative director of Bottega Veneta, also owned by the Gucci Group. (February 17 2004, AM)

From Vogue UK :woot:
"fashion's biggest prize", heh :wacko:

I'm glad he turned it down. I wish they'd spin his label off on its own altogether.

i admire him for doing the right thing,
he needs to move on with his own label,
:clap: cheers to Alexander mcQueen for making the right decision

:muscles: he doesn't need to step on tom's shoes

I don't know where all the maybes are coming from but he isn't taking the line. I like him more and more each time I read about him. He's really smart for this. The freedom of working under you own name is priceless, I'm sure. I am glad he didn't take it. It was a smart decision (IMO).

MCQUEEN TURNS YSL DOWN

This was posted earlier under the *updated* McQueen thread below :flower:

I'm glad he's going to be focusing on his own label, he's a brilliant designer

OMG!
I'm thrilled! When they first threw in the news about Lee replacing Ford at YSL I had mixed feelings (Ok, mostly negative, I don't want a Givenchy fiasco all over again). Now I can breathe! Bring it on! As I posted before: "Ford is dead, long live McQueen!" :lol:
B)

Ive heard McQueen might retire altogether from fashion.

They should not hire designers for either line and just lisence out the name to anyone who will pay the biggest dollars. Kill it off like they did in the 80's so they can bring it back in 2020 when Ford comes out of retirement.

i don't think PPR or whoever owns Gucci & YSL will announce a successor/s for either one of the brands any time soon... ... instead they'll just promote the brand's own design team ...for a couple of seasons... i think this will be a wiser move for PPR to ensure a smooth transition from one designer to another designer...

i can smell another Jil sander vs. Prada case in the making/has been making.......... if u know what i mean...

stella = no leather = no Gucci or YSL............she's out of the league

Lets guess who's gonna take over Celine................................... Narciso?? Margiela?? Isaac?? Tom Ford???

MC QUEEN REFUSES SAINT LAURENT :woot:

It is on the front page of the Women Wear Daily. Alexander McQueen would have declined the proposition of the group PPR to draw collections Yves Saint Laurent after Tom Ford's departure next April. He prefers to continue to concentrate on his own brand.
Last rumours: Stefano Pilati, Tom Ford's right hand at Saint Laurent at present and anticipated to resuming Gucci, could see thus finally proposing the Parisian house. And it is Tomas Meier, chosen by Tom Ford to boost Bottega Veneta, who would relieve at Gucci.
The suspense continues... :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->