Gucci S/S 2020 Milan

Reductive. No? We have Dior Men fw19 opening here in the other room of the fw19 hospital with their same old clothes season after season.

First I received a msg from a friend of mine at the show saying how ridiculous people looked...Because wearing Gucci nowadays is not a style statement anymore...

Then, I though about the recent events and reports that was all about the brand’s slowing sales...

So, I expected a change or at least a step back to something more accessible, less costumey and why not a return to a more familiar, sexy Gucci.

The Set gave me huge ss2001 menswear vibes and so were the very surprising white looks.

As a whole, the collection feels redundant but I’m very surprised to see more references to Tom’s Gucci than before. There’s an effort of seduction...The deep V, the slits, the sheer dresses, the « minimal styling ». Even the white looks had a touch of Gucci circa 2002.

This is a turning point for Alessandro. He has to prove to his bosses that he can refresh his vocabulary, maintain the commercial success but also keep the buzz around the brand.

I like it more than usual but I don’t know if it’s strong enough for Gucci.

It's much less eclectic than previous seasons I think, but I kinda like it.

Lol at Gucci trying court controversy with that lazy opening. Anything for press I guess.

As far as the rest of the collection, there are strong pieces that are really pretty but as a whole collection, it doesn’t hold up up.

I don’t think he needs to go full on Frida as far as beating a dead horse with a theme/inspiration but this collection lacks focus. Wish the men’s looks were as sexy as some of the women.

Last edited:
In the cover of Vogue.com Alessandro says "I am afraid of getting bored"...nope, darling! He is afraid of execs, who clearly have told him to tone it down and make something different and new to his usual never-ending "freak pride" parades...so now it feels like the freaks are under medication.

But the problem is that the "new" parts remind too much of Prada.

Well that's new! First looks confused me case I thought I've been looking at the wrong thread, lol. I don't like this at all, it looks so sterile with that bright background.

I LOVE IT! It's like an elevated version of his debut collection. There's a really good balance between his signature quirkiness and an elegant simplicity plus a slightly couture vibe in some looks. It almost looks like a continuation of the F/W campaign. The colors are amazing. The menswear is very strong for me, I want it all!

Maybe it's that brightly lit catwalk but this feels so much less claustrophobic than his recent endeavors, clothes are no longer swallowing models whole nor turning them into cat ladies/rough sleepers...however it's now lost the few things that I actually liked in his work, this is boring, some of these looks are awfully plain (or plain weird but no joy to them). Where's the glamour?

That Violently Happy/ Girl Interrupted opening will have me cringing till the end of Paris, he clearly doesn't know how to properly steal from Helmut. The 70's suits with platforms are very Prada F/W 12.13.

I literally do not understand the conceptual purpose to the first looks... "Mental health is not fashion" followed by his usual - what?

The invite letter was also TOO much lol.

In the cover of Vogue.com Alessandro says "I am afraid of getting bored"...nope, darling! He is afraid of execs, who clearly have told him to tone it down and make something different and new to his usual never-ending "freak pride" parades...so now it feels like the freaks are under medication.

But the problem is that the "new" parts remind too much of Prada.

It reminds me of Prada as well, not in any direct way but just in the overall vibe. And Valentino, too.

This is the first collection he's ever done that I like. Thank god he's beginning to move on. If he showed another one of this "everything bagel" collections it would have really put him in the fashion doldrums.

He could move on a bit faster if it were up to me but I'm happy with the progress of just this.

WOW! I am surprised this didn’t give me an epileptic fit or seizure of some sort. Should come with a warning - to avoid blindness use black & white filter or just run as fast as you can :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
effettovetro
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->