Guidance Necessary

-=Kyle=-

Reaction score
I am fashionally disabled. I can't seem to grasp a sense of my own style. I often find myself thinking I am heading in the right direction but then find myself without spiffy outfits to wear. Instead a bunch of pieces of clothing that lag any possible trend out there.

I am looking for any insight on how to define your own style. I have never been close to fashion before and that is part of what is keeping me in the dark.

I am Canadian and stuck on the Canadian roots in comfort, cheap clothing. Attempting now to move away from that I find it difficult because I don't have a deep wallet.

I buy a nice pair of shoes but realize I don't have any other clothes worth wearing with them. I bought a pair of brown pants with a slightly darker checkered pattern but am lost for what to wear with them.

I am 6 4, medium build but on my way to being lean, dark hair (my hair is another issue, it is thick, straight, and just falls forward leaving the only option I can see as spiking the front up), light blue eyes. I am 21 and an University student.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

Hi Kyle and welcome to TFS.

There is really no defined formula to build your own style. Some people just seem to be born with it and whatever they wear seem to look good.

But I would suggest that you look around you for inspiration. Check out the style threads in TFS, look at the fashion magazines (I love the editorials in Harper's) and even look at the candid threads, especially of the models - they have an effortless way of making basics look stylish.

Do remember at the end of the day to stick to what suits you. Don't wear something if it makes you feel uncomfortable, no matter how trendy it may be.

There is a difference between trends and style - trends are not a bad thing, but nothing can beat an innate sense of style.

Style doesn't have to come at a high price. But do invest in some good bags and shoes as I personally feel that it is difficult to make cheap leather look good.

A good way to build up a good warobe is to invest in foundation pieces like a good pair of denim, a nice white shirt, a pretty dress and skirt.

I am not sure what stores there are in Canada, but accessories are also a good wear to add zig to a basic ensemble.

You also sound like you have lovely, healthy hair. An easy way to look put together is to gather your hair into a casual bun.

Based on your post, this is what I can suggest :smile:

Don't worry, you are still young - there's definitely time to build up your own sense of style.

Thanks for your help and I am trying to not chase trends but actually define my own style that can be built upon.

I would like to put a quick little side note in that I am a guy so putting my hair up in a bun won't do the trick...

Is this a female fashion depot?

Even if it is there is nothing better then ideas from the opposite sex.

I do attempt to look around for inspiration but can never seem to get the right idea when I am looking for myself. I have been observing for a while now and it is getting frustrating that I can't find something that suits me when I do look. I don't want to just fall into the mass of people who are wearing the same looking outfits but of varying shades.

Thanks for your help.

Oops, my bad! I never noticed your gender till you pointed it out! :blush: :lol: :flower:

No this is definitely not a female only forum, guys are certainly welcome as well.

But, I still think that you can try to accessorise to add some interest to your outfit. I have seen too many guys fall into the same trap of wearing just a polo tee and jeans. Accessories and bags can really add more interest to any outfit!

Any don't just think that as a guy you have to stick to messenger style bags! Big tote bags can work as well. Of course, get them in more neutral colours like brown, black, navy.

And do play around with textures in your outfit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily for you, the men who are seen as having the best sense of style, tend to be those who have a fairly classic style and aren't constantly hopping on trends.

As far as hairstyles go, you can always look for a celebrity who has the same basic face shape as you and see what works on them. Also, ask your hairstylist for recommendations for hairstyles (this assumes you don't go to some surly old guy barber-stereotype). It's in the best interest of your hairstylist for your hair to look as good as possible (and for you to be happy with it and able to maintain it), since the way they get more business is usually thru clients recommending them to their friends. (Also, be honest about how much time and product you want to put into your hair. This tends to be more an issue with women's hair, but there are still things the stylist will do differently based on "I'm willing to spend 10 minutes and use product to get it to look right" vs. "I want to be able to go out straight away out of the shower without having to do anything to my hair.")

I'd say also, don't be afraid of wearing color. If you have a favorite color, go ahead and get a shirt in the color you want, don't feel like you have to wear a muted tone if you don't want to.

Spend time looking at famous men. Pay attention to the ones whose style you like and the ones whose style you DON'T like. Then analyze what it is you like or don't like--frequently you can learn as much about your own style based on what you definitely don't like as trying to figure out what you do like. (Also, it's frequently easier to figure out what it is you dislike about something: "I don't like the color" "I don't like the cut of the garment" "I don't like the shorts-as-formal-wear look".) It's a lot easier to screen out the "Eww" items from the "Meh, I'd wear it to avoid being naked, I guess" items. Then once you have styles narrowed down to stuff you don't hate, try and picture yourself wearing it: Would you be excited to wear it? Would you wear it to avoid being naked? Where would you wear it? How often would you wear it? What else that you own could you wear with it? (That's a big thing also, if it doesn't go with anything else you own, are you willing to shop for a whole outfit to go with it?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vittoooooo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->