The Curvy Thread

^ your right I should have read the post above me it seems like a similar problem. I find that some unisex jeans like Levis work well on me because they have less butt room.

It sounds like you are the perfect candidate for flowy tunic tops and skinny jeans, or a lovely mini tent dress. Just make sure there isn't too much gathered fabric around the bust and that the neckline is not too high. Structured strapless dresses and shift dresses would work too, if their cut fits you--they skim over the are you are conscious about while highlighting your legs and flattering your bust. Cardigans may be better than little jackets.

Yes, I have definitely noticed that cardigans fit me better, but I never have them all the way buttoned up, because buttons down the front and I just don't get along. I do have 2 cropped cardigans that I got for H&M on Black Friday because they were 2 for 1 and while they're not necessarily me inherently, they're much easier on my shape that anything else. Let me see if I can get a picture. I can close the cropped cardigans because I buy them in a bigger size.

OK so I just threw together this collage. Most pictures are from my recent travels. Petting the llama was last week, haha. Most of the pics are from 1-3 weeks ago. The awkward hip position pic is 2 years old though. I was 18 then. Hopefully that doesn't happen so much anymore. White dress is past Halloween. Yellow bathing suit pic is approaching a year old. And please ignore the awkward bowling stance ones. There are not that many pictures of me from behind.

mybodyangles.jpg

Do you still think flowy tunics/skinny jeans a tent dress would work? I find that as much as I love tent dresses, they make me look like I have a bun in the oven. Oh and I'm 5'6".

And really sophia? Unisex jeans? I haven't considered it. All of my jeans are so universally loose and disgusting in fit.

That llama is owning my butt.

Milada, you have the perfect figure! :lol:
I'm laughing because you sounded so concerned...:wink:

I mentioned tent/flowy dresses since you sounded worried about that area, but now I see no need for that; an empire waist may be better, like your white dress and the silhouette you created with your blue cardi. You could probably feel comfortable and look good wearing anything, just by paying attention to minor detail: belts, colors, patterns, texture, length, and drape. A wrap detail around the abdomen may be good for you for example. Other than that, I think my previous advice holds. I agree that you have a similar figure to Angelina Jolie, so that would be a good place to do some research. And yes, I totally agree about men's/unisex jeans.

Milada, it looks like you're already doing a great job dressing for your figure ... you and the llama are quite lovely :wink:

Thank you guys. I'm most definitely not complaining about my figure. It's the opposite of what I had in high school and I think I could have dressed it better than. Now I have a more refined eye. But the problem is, that the clothes that fit me aren't my style. Fitted tees then to look good, but I'm not one of those Kate Moss or Clemence Poesy-types who can throw on a tee and look divinely inspired. Plus I prefer a looser fit, flowy blouses and such. Does anyone know of any specific brands or styles that tend to leave more space in the bust region, while being more fitted around the waste and back. I usually get a balloon silouette where I'm with baby in the front and there's plenty of fabric hanging in the back especially. Although I know some people like that look. It's ok when it's not extreme, but it most definitely worked better with my old body.

Can anyone recommend good belts, either styles or specific ones to define a waist in a shift. I need some good standard ones and more elegant ones. I only have this one ribbon and it's super tacky and other than that I picked up this sparkly blue belt with a bow. Oh man, I wish I could have saved the items from the Catherine Malandrino sale at Gilt Group the other day, because it was marvelous, but the pictures were non-clickable. The colors were really enticing. I'm usually a muted colors person, but rainbow colors attract me in some cases. There was this great shift. I guess it's possible to put some kind of waistband in a shift, right? Although that pretty much ruins the silouette. In any case, my camera battery charge should be arriving in a week so I can take pictures to show what I mean.

I feel like maybe I'm destined towards the New Look, so I tried to find inspiration there. I want to develop a nice classic, refined style with a tendancy to overdress as opposited to slumming around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appear to have a rather dire problem! Having what I suppose would be classed an hourglass kind of shape with tiny waist but also with bust & hip sizes 10 inches larger at all times (even when I diet haha). I recently bought a gorgeous vintage 50's shirt dress - however very unfortunately its a bit tight over the bust to a discomforting extent. I was hoping one of you ladies had some tips for temporarily minimising the bust (preferably of the DIY short term variety) before I find time to seek professional adjustment...or possibly just a minimising bra?

^ I have never tried to minimize, so I'm sorry I can't help :flower: I also feel that you can always spot a minimizer bra ... they create an odd shape that always draws my eye. Which I suspect is not the effect the wearers had in mind :unsure: I would just wait till the dress comes back from the tailor.

Sere if you cant see the bra you might want to use a sports bra they can take you down a size I have done that before just 100% make sure you cant see it through the dress or the straps dont show because they are often at odd angles.

I have a question that I don't know if this make sense to you but I will ask anyway:
Despite the fact that I am Asian (from Hong Kong), I have a rather large/wide frame in my community (5'3ish, around 120-125 pound max, a rectangular shape because I gain some weight in the middle; medium and small size).
In Canada I don't have too many difficult to choose clothes; but now im back in Hong Kong and it is very difficult for me to buy clothes. Most of the clothes are made for people with delicate frames, so when I try them on I feel like im either fat or the clothes is going to explode when the size actually fits me and if I try a large size, it will be too loose.
What should I do?

I'm on a search for a pencil skirt that isn't made out of stark heavy material - something that I can wear in the fall and winter and skims over thighs and hips.

Any suggests? I know that pencil skirts are one of the staples for curvy/hourglass shapes, but I've tried dozens on, and they look fine when I'm standing there, but weird when I actually walk around; unyielding to the feminine form!

I'm on a search for a pencil skirt that isn't made out of stark heavy material - something that I can wear in the fall and winter and skims over thighs and hips.

Any suggests? I know that pencil skirts are one of the staples for curvy/hourglass shapes, but I've tried dozens on, and they look fine when I'm standing there, but weird when I actually walk around; unyielding to the feminine form!

I have this one on the way: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=25789&pid=685380&scid=685380002&vid=-1

I tried it on in the store but ordered online for the tall size. It felt pretty good - it's substantial, with a little bit of stretch.

I appear to have a rather dire problem! Having what I suppose would be classed an hourglass kind of shape with tiny waist but also with bust & hip sizes 10 inches larger at all times (even when I diet haha). I recently bought a gorgeous vintage 50's shirt dress - however very unfortunately its a bit tight over the bust to a discomforting extent. I was hoping one of you ladies had some tips for temporarily minimising the bust (preferably of the DIY short term variety) before I find time to seek professional adjustment...or possibly just a minimising bra?

Wacoal's seamless minimizer is the best. There are a couple of others with names that are similar but this is the one: http://www.herroom.com/Wacoal-85154-Slimline-Seamless-Minimizer-Bra.shtml

I have one from MaxMara that I like ... I have also had a wool knit one in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->