The Curvy Thread

pretty blue eyes:

don't you need to wear a bra? if you wore any of these tops, you would have to work in a bra. lastly, it would look good on you if you have a very small waist i proportion to your hips. otherwise, by showing off your chest, you add 10-15 pounds visually to our frame.

^ It's certainly true that the lower something is cut, the flatter your chest needs to be if you want to maintain that innocent look :wink: It would def be too much skin for me with the tie across the back, but if it were me, I'd try them on & make a call depending on how daring I expected to feel on the occasion I was buying for ...

I'm 2.5" bigger in the bust than the hips.

This makes life difficult, as I have to try to choose between items fitting my bust (in which case they will be much too big in the hips and make me look much bigger than I am), or fitting my hips (in which case they will be far too-small in the bust); or an ugly combination of the two.

When I was very young, I had an all-too-brief period of things almost fitting me, as they used to cut garments equally in the bust and the hips. But then they did a size survey and discovered that most women were pear shaped and from that moment on, almost everything was cut at least 2" bigger in the hips than the bust. :(

From being classed as just one size bigger in the bust than the hips, I am now two, or even three, sizes bigger; which seems totally bizarre, as it's only 2.5", for goodness sake! :rolleyes:

It's totally ridiculous, because even a girl with an equal bust and hip measurement is now deemed as being top-heavy, size-wise, as she will be at least one size bigger on top. :blink:

Surely, what we are all aiming for is the appearance of even proportions and both people who are pear shaped and people who are top heavy, look much much better and more proportionate in balanced-looking clothing?

Even pear-shaped women, who should be happy with the current proportions, often aren't, as this uneven cutting exaggerates their larger hips.

If the fashion industry has any sense, it will return to equal bust and hip measurements, as this will make both pear-shaped and top-heavy girls look more proportionate. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ What I do is wear separates ... and I think you can also experiment with color to balance things out. Personally, though, I think the proportion you mention is not a bad thing & don't mind it myself :P

i think this is only a part of the problem. once the industry realized under 10 percent of all american women have hourglass figures, they started cutting for rectangular figures. so not only are my breast too big for many items, nothing fits my waist. ugh. i started buying european brands as women in europe are more likely to be hourglass shaped.

from lowend stuff like Zara, and H&M (only bottoms/dresses), to See By Chloe, Diesel, Patrizia Pepe, Notify and G-star for nice street gear. Then just general high end stuff. With nice stuff like Burberry, Armani, Dolce/Gabbana--i go for the the very classic type cuts, it fits well, but one still has to alter it, albeit slightly

Of course with high end clothes, they cut for an hourglass, as it IS more common for Euro women. Europe is still the largest market for luxury fashion.

The biggest thing is to avoid the gap, banana republic, things like that. If one does where American designers, its best to go high end, like Daryl K, Jenni Kayne, Marc Jacobs, etc. Philip Lim cuts for flatter chests. (side note)

^ Thanks, gia. We just recently got a Zara ... I'll have to check them out. Also Burberry, although it seems the Burberry here never has the really interesting clothes ...

burberry's coats---don't know about their clothes. their fitted trenches are great. check out n-a-p to see the measurements of the garments. you'll see what i mean. their fit models--euro designers in general-- have more hourglass shapes.

this only works for small hourglasses though. i am tall/thin

^ I've been wearing a Burberry trench all my adult life, so I'd have to agree they work :wink:

I didn't know that.. I usually stay clear of more expensive brands because I thought I might as well not bother - I'm glad I'm wrong :blush:

i should know--i am a size 2 with a d-cup.
frost, make use of net a porter's online measurements of each garment.

See it's funny for me because I could be classified as either hourglass or pear: I usually wear a size medium to large top depending on the store (but I have the annoying 36D's) but for jeans, I have to wear a 30 or 31. Then you add in short legs and buying pants is next to impossible. Because of this it's hard to buy some things like dresses because they'll fit just so in the hip area but be way too big in the chest, or if it's perfect in the chest it's too small in the hips.

I've NEVER understood what the '36' '26' '31' etc refers to in jeans, it confuses me so much!

I don't know if I classify as curvy - my measurements are 35-28-40 and I'm 5'8 but the thing is everyone tells me I look more athletic than curvy. I think I just look bottom heavy and wobbly. But then my self-perception is pretty average.

i think that is because people link curvy with being bigger. most people tell me i am boyish cuz i am tall/thin. actually i am an hourglass---- you seem to be somewhat pearshaped with a small waist.

thnk less woobly, bottom-heavy, and more womanly/sexy ala a fuller halle berry (she is slightly pear too!!)

(((((Dressing for your shape!)))))

I'd like to know what tips/suggestions people have when it comes to dressing in a matter that best flatters a particular person's shape.

Are there certain types of clothing that really complement your figure....or certain styles that you tend to always shy away from?

For instance, I am average/petite-sized girl with a very, well, larger than average chest. I found the following tips below online (taken from http://plussize.about.com/od/stylebasics/ht/bustybody.htm), that talk about how best to dress when you have a large top. I definitely feel that I look better in V-neck tops, and tend to always be drawn to purchasing those when shopping for shirts, blouses, etc.:

How To Dress for Your Busty Body Type

By Meieli Sawyer, About.com

prodImage.ms.jpg

This wrap dress from Design History will balance your curves and create a slim silhouette.
  1. Identify the characteristics of your busty bod.
  1. Busty women may have:
    • A wider back
    • Full arms
    • Softer shoulders
    • A defined waistline
    Busty women always have full breasts, regardless of their weight.
    [*]Find a shirt that flatters your womanly bustline.
    • Shirts with a v-neck or u-neckline make your bust look a little higher and more proportional.
    • Look for tank tops with wider straps for warmer weather.
    • Avoid very stretchy fabrics in a clingy cut. You may feel self-conscious, and every inch of your torso will be on display. If you love clingy fabrics, try layering a stretchy top under a blazer or light wrap.
    • Steer clear of spaghetti straps, which can make your chest and shoulders look sizes larger.
    [*]Layer with a jacket or sweater.
    • Wrap tops are the perfect solution for layering and flattering! The v-neckline of your wrap shirt will flatter your bust and make your waist look more defined.
    • Wear your outer layer slightly shorter, with the longer tee underneath. If the underlayer is figure-hugging, you'll have shape and coverage without feeling too exposed.
    • Wear your jackets buttoned to nip in your waist.
    [*]Get a skirt that balances the bust.
    • A-line styles will match your full bustline and keep you looking proportional. If you like your shirts tucked in, try wearing a skirt with a slightly lower waistline to elongate your torso.
    • Wear a pencil skirt to show off your curves. If you have average or larger hips and a smaller waist, go glam and flaunt it!
    • Avoid miniskirts, which may look tarty in combination with your enviable bust.
    [*]Grab the perfect pair of trousers.
    • Go for a slightly wide-legged look if you would like your trousers to skim over the hips. Try wearing a shirt with darts or ties near the waist to add shape to your form.
    • Avoid skinny styles, which can make your bust look even more substantial.
    Try a dress for the evening out.
    [*]
    • Invoke your inner vintage diva with a romantic dress. Wear a dress with a structured bodice and an a-line skirt to add balance to your natural shape.
    • Don't forget about black. It's slimming, classic, and universally appealing. Wear a black cotton jersey dress with long sleeves and a low neckline to emphasize what you've got. Supportive undergarments are key with this look, so try an underwear bra with a front closure and padded straps.
    • Stay away from strapless models. No matter how supportive they claim to be, they aren't.
    [*]Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize.
    • Choose layered slim chains for an exotic feel.
    • Don't wear necklaces that are too long. They won't lie flat against your bust.
    • Stay away from chokers. They can super-size your bust area.
    [*]Learn more at the Busty Body Type Guide.
Tips:
  1. Embrace the nude bra. Not having white bra outlines under your sheer tees will make you look 5 pounds thinner and more put-together.
  2. Never buy tops that are too tight around the bust. Buy shirts that fit your bust well, and then have them taken in around the armholes, neckline, and lower torso as necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->