Hedi Slimane - Designer, Creative Director of Celine

Michael Rider was DESIGN DIRECTOR for Celine, which means he was Matthieu, Daniel and Peter's boss and more responsible for Phoebe Philo's Celine than probably she was (especially if you look at what she is doing now).

Don't look at his Polo and use that to gauge the breadth of his talent. Look at those old Celine collections.

He came to came to Celine after 4 years with Nicolas at Balenciaga. He is no chump.

People I know at RL all thought he was going to succeed Ralph and I think the upper management was grooming him for that. So, whatever made him change his mind must be BIG.

Also, I didn't think I would need to say this here, but predicting a designer's creative aptitude based on their personal style is highly erroneous.

Anyways, you can find more pictures of him if you follow the right people on Instagram. You guys are looking at him at RL corporate events, that's not how he actually dresses.
PP_A2_IMAGES_10.jpg
1282590-272413a7639fd09c79a459bc4519d0ec.jpg
Even in the recent Phoebe this slouchy idea is still alive i get it, but the RL versions he did are poor in my opinion and look like Macy's Ecom.

I know his CV & I don't think it's wrong to assume in this case as i said on his stylistic choices are similar to his recent work output
I did not say anything personal,i know from old co worker of his that he is a kind person even and great to work with.

I refer to his style at his friends drink and walks i seen them already via all the right people on ig, i don't judge it just by pics seen here i think i even posted some while back when the news broke.

Like i said before some designers embody more what they do in their personal style i think he is one of them, of course the taste is in the pudding.
I truly hope he gets the Celine job, just so we can see, but if i had to bet on what it will look like since this is a forum to discuss thoughts on fashion and brands and Creative Directors, is that it won't be greater than his personal style or what RL work he done so far that is really boring.

Also some people are good at being director or assistant and have top CV´s, but are not the type of talent with a total vision as we seen at Gucci now and McQueen as well.

This. Galliano looked like a mess during his most relevant and influential period, not to mention 90s Mcqueen with his poor hygiene and slobby attire.
Galliano embodied every show he was working on he would change looks hair and attitude included

Phoebe was missing teeth during her Chloe years and had dirty ballerina´s on during show outing , she was cool and was even photographed or noticed because of how she dressed next to stella with gold teeth and her cool styling years prior to that ; at celine she had her new veneers and botox so and was more put together.

MC Queen even if in his early years he was more ruff around the edges and and as he got fitter and richer i don't find his personal style is a reflection of his work.

Looking rich or clean is another subject that i am not interested in in this context, what i am talking about his how a person's choice to wear a pant or a shirt belt etc etc how they style something with obvious consideration even if its details.

Pillati or Even Rick Owens Coco Chanel Miuccia Prada Jil Sander your not telling me that they don't fully embody there brands vision and sharp point of view in their personal style.

Ralph Lauren have you seen how he dresses , even now at his old age you can see what they all are into what they are obsessed about till today.

there is a reason Phoebe can build a brand around her name its not just because of Celine or Chloe days , even the row girls same

I am sorry, but I have no idea what you mean.
Galliano embodied his artistic vision in his personal style as well, you can read his mix of cultures and the overall story he was into for each collection he did that time, sweaty blond dreadlocks and upside down jackets included.

Mcqueen i feel does not reflect his creative world in his personal dressing style like a Galiano or Coco Chanel Miuccia Prada Jil Sander Helmut Lang does.

So for me poor hygiene and slobby attire (your words not mine) is not what i refer too or am interested in when speaking of personal style of creative directors versus their work or brand vision.

The only thing that matters to me is his talent and his resume that showcase a versatility that Mr Slimane doesn’t have.

So the conversation around the way he dresses in order to have an idea of what his work would look like is irrelevant.

The only thing that we got to get from this is that: He knows Celine and the essence of it (which is bourgeoisie and RTW), he is used to LVMH’s way of operating and he can handle the pressure of working for a big big house, while maintaining it spirit.

Only fact is that he worked at Celine, that he knows Celine and the essence of it (which is bourgeoisie and RTW)?, remains to be proven.

He can be as versatile as his resume might suggest and like him before many other designers with multiple brands under the belt turn out to not be a guarantee for greatness, fact is Mr Slimane proved himself 3x times over so his steadfast stubbornness proved him well, so to me it's irrelevant versatility of CV.

There are more ways to do a brand (we all can agree on this), as there are more ways to gauge/ dream/ express on what one can expect from a possible new creative director.

With him it's something i noticed and it stayed in the back of my mind when his name comes up.

The only truth is time will tell.

The only thing that matters to me is his talent and his resume that showcase a versatility that Mr Slimane doesn’t have.

So the conversation around the way he dresses in order to have an idea of what his work would look like is irrelevant.

The only thing that we got to get from this is that: He knows Celine and the essence of it (which is bourgeoisie and RTW), he is used to LVMH’s way of operating and he can handle the pressure of working for a big big house, while maintaining it spirit.
The guy literally worked at two of the most competitive and respected design studios (Balenciaga and Celine) in recent fashion history and you're dogging him because of the way he dresses.

Whatever.
I do like a lot the way Hedi Slimane dresses almost at the point of taking cues and inspiration for my daily outfit.

The guy literally worked at two of the most competitive and respected design studios (Balenciaga and Celine) in recent fashion history and you're dogging him because of the way he dresses.

Whatever.
I explained my idea´s based of some points that are so far the only visible queues, and noted that time will tell so i might be wrong with my hypothesis.

My statement is just a simple idea, that he seems to dress closely to his creative design output and based on this first impressions i don't see a strong point of view coming from him with his possible appointment at Celine. ( aka blob dressing )

And furthermore i underlined why as that certain designers that put effort in their personal attire happen to show strong connection/embody how they design. ( this nobody really addressed so far with real strong arguments to prove otherwise other than Alaia which i did not name as one of these type of designers )

CV ´s seems to not offer much guarantee as recent appointments have proven, its like thinking that Alessandro that worked under Frida would guarantee similar taste as Frida´s with his Gucci or even the opposite that the new cd at McQueen would be as savvy as JW Anderson with his design approach.

We don't have to agree, it's just a discussion.

I didn't think bringing up Sesame Street would warrant such an intense discussion. But I'm serious I could see Gen Z could make Sesame St-core happen with Michael Rider at Celine. Something so unserious about it, which maybe fashion could use

hqdefault.jpg77056155-12678007-YSL_darling_To_complete_the_look_Hailey_threw_on_a_pair_of_styli-a-13_169836...jpgNYPICHPDPICT000008309894.jpg

CookieMonsterWaving.jpgCardi-B-120323-2-fb4d1682d1d84f889c204444be3a2704.jpg

presskit_ss_bio_bigbird.pngarticle-2212470-15476406000005DC-207_634x588-1.jpg

I'm warming up to this
Rider.jpg

Rather have MJ´s prada coat years, than Riders´s old Céline look if had to take inspiration to be Sesame St-core personally lol

marc-jacobs-prada.jpg

Yes Michael Rider's personal style is very different from Hedi but closer to Phoebe. Sesame Street meets 80s Memphis Modern. Could be very off-duty Princess Diana or off-Duty JFK Jr, so still old money, but still whimsical. Not as serious as Hedi or Phoebe. Would probably do just as well at Loewe vs current day Celine.

Any updates regarding the timing of the show of the SS 25 presentation filmed in Saint Tropez?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martinanjelica
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->