Hedi Slimane - Designer

It makes sense, given Celine just launched that California perfume, Celine ads are all over LA, and it seems to sell well here.

It's interesting to see Hedi embrace Los Angeles again over the last year or so after distancing from it when he first started at Celine - for a while trying to associate London and Berlin as part of Celine's identity, even selling his LA home - which might have been his way of trying to distinguish Celine from Saint Laurent. To me, LA just represents Hedi's interests and aesthetic (musicians, nepotism babies, beaches, etc.) and it seems to be the city that embraces him the most.

I read online that some Hedi stans fear that the L.A. show might be Hedi’s last for Celine, raising the question of his contract’s expiry date (which could be 2023 if it were a five year contrat).

It sure is unusual to show two collections in such a short period of time and out of official calendars, but I would be very surprised if his contract was not renewed. Especially since the brand seems to finally have taken off. If it were to happen, maybe it would be his decision rather than LVMH’s.

I read online that some Hedi stans fear that the L.A. show might be Hedi’s last for Celine, raising the question of his contract’s expiry date (which could be 2023 if it were a five year contrat).

It sure is unusual to show two collections in such a short period of time and out of official calendars, but I would be very surprised if his contract was not renewed. Especially since the brand seems to finally have taken off. If it were to happen, maybe it would be his decision rather than LVMH’s.

Yeah this was similar to how his last Saint Laurent shows happened. But honestly why would he leave? He’ll never get a bigger carte blanche than Celine and is there anything more that LVMH can’t give? No other creative directors except founders were given the same control scope Hedi has over at Celine. I don’t want him to leave too. I’d imagine he’ll burn bridges after how big of an investment and gamble Arnault did.

He's showing in LA because the celebrity cache sells the clothes.

All those stars and musicians dripping in Celine, sitting front row, attending the after party plus the fact that it's scheduled at a time during which he'll have zero competition in the media from other brands---it will be far more effective marketing than any campaign (and will probably cost a lot more).

Regarding his departure: if his contract is up there is always a possibility but Celine has been a big success story so I'm pretty sure LVMH wants him to stay.

If he leaves, it's because he made a bunch of huge demands that LVMH couldn't rationalize and agree to. It'll be his own choice/fault.

Seriously, if he leaves, it would be quite en embarrassment. But as @Mutterlein said, he has everything he wanted at Celine. They added divisions to please him and I’m sure they will add more things if he wants. At Dior Homme he had a whole beauty entity, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he wants to have a full beauty line for Celine.

I’m still puzzled by some things. Is he presenting Fall (which for Celine has always been the term for Prefall) or FW? Because December is the season of precollections.

Presenting the main FW collection in December would mean that they have changed their whole production system.

Is Celine by Hedi Slimane really selling well? His target was to reach 2-3 billon euros by 2023, I wonder if he has? I mean LVMH has done everything they possibly could in terms of expanding the product range to achieve maximum sales: menswear, perfumes, even some homewares. I guess cosmetics is next?

In saying that, even though they might have reached that financial goal, in terms of influence and cultural relevance, Hedi's Celine is completely overshadowed by Vaccarello's Saint Laurent IMO.

Is Celine by Hedi Slimane really selling well? His target was to reach 2-3 billon euros by 2023, I wonder if he has? I mean LVMH has done everything they possibly could in terms of expanding the product range to achieve maximum sales: menswear, perfumes, even some homewares. I guess cosmetics is next?

In saying that, even though they might have reached that financial goal, in terms of influence and cultural relevance, Hedi's Celine is completely overshadowed by Vaccarello's Saint Laurent IMO.

It seems like they have indeed reach that target at least the lower end of it. Props to Celine they have completely created their own story that doesn’t clash with YSL, bar menswear. It’s really doing well in Asia, even culturally I can say. The price increases they did means they’re really confident about it. Here I see more donning the Hedi Celine look more than anything Anthony did. I don’t know in other markets.

Hedi will surely burn bridges if he leaves. After all that investment he can’t just leave. At this point LVMH will give him everything. A legitimate couture atelier or a full fledged beauty division? I’m sure they will.

It seems like they have indeed reach that target at least the lower end of it. Props to Celine they have completely created their own story that doesn’t clash with YSL, bar menswear. It’s really doing well in Asia, even culturally I can say. The price increases they did means they’re really confident about it. Here I see more donning the Hedi Celine look more than anything Anthony did. I don’t know in other markets.

Hedi will surely burn bridges if he leaves. After all that investment he can’t just leave. At this point LVMH will give him everything. A legitimate couture atelier or a full fledged beauty division? I’m sure they will.

I'm not sure his departure would necessarily mean bad blood between him and LVMH. It wouldn't be the first time he's left their employment.

I'm curious to see how his Celine continues to unfold.

I'm not sure his departure would necessarily mean bad blood between him and LVMH. It wouldn't be the first time he's left their employment.

I'm curious to see how his Celine continues to unfold.

I guess this time it’s different because of how big their bet with Celine was. The logical step would really be couture showings. In all their marketing copy they insist on Celine being a “maison de couture” and Hedi being a “couturier”. It’s time to back it up with more than a red carpet operation.

The womenswear "Winter 2023" show will be held at The Wiltern on December 8th.

CELINE

^ Finally bringing exposure to this little venue no one's heard of and so far away from the epicentre of the kpop community that Celine can absolutely continue operating without. First he discovers this godforsaken German town named Berlin, then London and LA when absolutely no one wanted to go there (LA needs to replace the HOLLYWOOD sign with an HEDI sign and maybe a smaller one that says 'MILLIPIED', the two French men no one in LA knows but that simultaneously claim to have practically founded LA), now watch The Wiltern suddenly get all major bookings because of Hedi.

The Autumn Winter 2023/24 Menswear collection will be presented in Paris on February 10th.

News of the next Celine show was also leaked. While the house led by Hedi Slimane unveiled its women's collection for autumn/winter 2023/24 early, on December 8 in Los Angeles, it will present its men's collection on February 10 in Paris. This is well after the men's week and before the women's week, in a place that will not be communicated publicly, according to the LVMH company.
FASHION NETWORK

Now that they have reached the 2 billions, they are applying pressure…
I love a menswear show from Hedi. Always entertaining with looks even women wants.

I guess everybody is going to miss most of NYFW now that Hedi is presenting on the first day of NYFW.

Now that they have reached the 2 billions, they are applying pressure…
I love a menswear show from Hedi. Always entertaining with looks even women wants.

I guess everybody is going to miss most of NYFW now that Hedi is presenting on the first day of NYFW.

I mean....they wouldn't be missing much, going by the last handful of NYFW seasons.

Celine sell very well, completely on targets if not more, but as a long-term friend of YSL, I have to say I strongly disagree with your last sentence, I do find Vaccarello's SL overshadowed by Hedi's CL, culturally, and also on every other single aspects, Celine is trying their best to out-do SL: quality, packaging, customer services, shops, even simple things like dustbags or screws on sunglasses... I am guilty of buying at lot of Celine and Saint-Laurent, always very similar items (must have dozens of "cabans" now), and I always enjoy the Celines more... but that's just my opinion.

Celine sell very well, completely on targets if not more, but as a long-term friend of YSL, I have to say I strongly disagree with your last sentence, I do find Vaccarello's SL overshadowed by Hedi's CL, culturally, and also on every other single aspects, Celine is trying their best to out-do SL: quality, packaging, customer services, shops, even simple things like dustbags or screws on sunglasses... I am guilty of buying at lot of Celine and Saint-Laurent, always very similar items (must have dozens of "cabans" now), and I always enjoy the Celines more... but that's just my opinion.
Shhh you're not allowed to say that kind of stuff here. It goes against the narrative that people here are so desperately trying to push. You're going to trigger so many people with your words. The correct narrative you're supposed to regurgitate here is that Hedi's Celine is a huge flop and that nobody will want to buy his Celine when Anthony's Saint Laurent does everything better. You're supposed to say that there is 100% no way Hedi is able to pull those numbers because me and all of my fashion friends hate Hedi.

I enjoy his Celine very much on the product level and the experience. The shows and context around it are quite weak from a fashion point of view. what I do like about his shows that it really drives home a simple look, wether it’s about the attitude of a bag or having specific sunglasses on each look. But all in all it works really well. It’s a bit on its way to becoming like a really youthful Hermes or Chanel or something.

As a consumer it’s great to have hedi doing clothes and perfumes, the quality is sumptuous.

I do wonder where it will go from here. I definitely see skincare and beauty for this brand. He carved out a very specific look for girls and boys that translates well to beauty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noorap
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->