Hedi Slimane - Designer

If Mr. Slimane can offer up some good controversy to the house of YSL, then count me in. Sure Stefano was a good designer for this house but if I can see something unexpected at the house of YSL for once, that feeling where you first look at it and have to digest it, then love it in the end. That`s the feeling I love when I see a collection (hence why Miuccia has always been a favorite of mine, along with Phoebe). I completely support his decision to move to Los Angeles, and it`s unfair for people to criticize him for doing so without even knowing the pure knowledge of one of the most coolest cities in California.

What makes you think people who criticize LA have not lived there themselves? Anyway...compared to Paris it's really just pathetic...but then so is the zeitgeist, so this is for the best....*cringe*

Many Parisians quite enjoy Los Angeles as a vacation destination...I could have some of my French friends confirm...so it's not that odd for Hedi to choose to design there. :wink:

And Slimane moving to L.A. doesn't mean he'll be creating clothes worthy of LAFW, so have a little faith. :rolleyes:

Saint Laurent Paris

Ella Alexander
21 June 2012

HEDI SLIMANE is changing the name of Yves Saint Laurent to Saint Laurent Paris as part of his makeover for the label. Slimane took over from Stefano Pilati as the fashion house's new creative director in March this year.
The new name is expected to be introduced in the coming months and should be implemented by the time Slimane's debut spring/summer 2013 collection lands in stores, WWD reports. The designer is reportedly set to give the brand a modern revamp, while still capturing the components that inspired its founder's Saint Laurent Rive Gauche ready-to-wear line in 1994 - youth, freedom and modernity.
Slimane's debut pre spring/summer 2013 collection will be shown to a small group of buyers imminently, while his first catwalk show will be unveiled during Paris Fashion Week - which starts on September 25 and finishes October 3.

He won't be starting very favourably with me if this is true, I can't say I appreciate it when the legacy of a house is not respected.

^I agree, I find this name change rather odd. And why is he adding the "Paris" to the name when he has just announced he will remain based in L.A.? Doesn't really make sense to me.
Still excited to see his first collection for YSL (or SLP?) soon, though.

really? changing the name is an odd action, will he change the logo too?

The name change is completely and utterly stupid. There is no reason whatsoever to alter the name, and add "Paris" to the end.

Besides, what are they going to do change the logo too? YSL to SLP? Ridiculous! What an insult not only to Yves, but also the man who designed the logo, A. M. Cassandre.

Already starting to dislike Slimane for Yves Saint Laurent...

I have zero problem with him moving it to LA, but changing the name? Wow, that is pretty brave, not sure it will work out.

Besides, what are they going to do change the logo too? YSL to SLP? Ridiculous! What an insult not only to Yves, but also the man who designed the logo, A. M. Cassandre.

this was my first thought. Firstly it's a form of dis-respect and second, who the hell is gonna buy branded things (you know that's what sells the most, see bags, belts etc) that say SLP instead of YSL? (can you imagine louis vuitton bags saing vuitton paris instead of lv?)

i somehow hope he's like making a line within the brand with that name and not changin it. I wonder what Bergè thinks of this and how would Pinault allow it.

You can't get the 'Y' out of 'YSL'.

Is he trying to imitate Phoebe Philo or what? first moving the studio out of Paris and now changing the name? At least Phoebe did it in style and only changed the é in Céline. And her move to London made sense because she didn't want to sacrifice her family life. In Slimane's case it just seems silly...I'm surprised PPR is giving him this much freedom. It sounds like they will once again invest a lot in the YSL or SLP brand

I don't understand why he would do this. Ok a designer probably wants a brand that fits his aesthetic, and knowing how involved hedi is in this project, maybe he wants to re appropriate himself the brand, like this is a new page, and this is going to be something else than the usual YSL, this is Hedi for YSL..?
But this is not "his brand" and YSL is more than just a name, it's the symbol of the brand's spirit in a way and everything that's been done from Yves Saint Laurent himself to Stefano Pilati... (at least for me it is)

I find it unecessary and utterly stupid. The name Yves Saint Laurent resonates in a while different way than "Saint Laurent Paris", which makes it sound like a dusty maison de couture from the early 30s.

He should focus on being remembered for his designs at YSL, instead of being remembered as the one who changed the name of the house.

What I am wondering is that a lot of their bags feature a big fat Y and they are the big money-makers for the house.

Pilati removed the "Rive Gauche" part of the name when he took over as creative director of YSL, and "Rive Gauche" was the line he was designing for.

Omitting the name of the desinger when a successor takes over has been something pretty common throughout fashion history, but in this case I see it quite pointless. The "Paris" part is rather charming though...

I would have preferred something more egocentric, like adding his name to the line in the same way as Antonio did with Lanvin.

^Yes but the amazing YSL logo is one of the brand's trademarks and changing that is not only disrespectful but also idiotic from a commercial point of view. I used to be indifferent towards Hedi taking over YSL, but now I'm beginning to get annoyed and he's not even shown a collection yet.

the ysl logo is expected to remain according to fashionmonitor.com

The article re: the YSL name change is written by Ella Alexander. Ella who? Is she a famous blogger that I don't know about? An EIC of a glossy magazine? A journalist for a famed newspaper? A Google-search didn't yield many fashion-forward results either..So in this case, I'll believe it when I see it. :unsure:

The article re: the YSL name change is written by Ella Alexander. Ella who? Is she a famous blogger that I don't know about? An EIC of a glossy magazine? A journalist for a famed newspaper? A Google-search didn't yield many fashion-forward results either..So in this case, I'll believe it when I see it. :unsure:

It is true. Slimane is just going back to the name YSL chose for his ready to wear brand, which is the line Hedi is designing for. It's funny people consider it disrespectful. B) He's just adding "Paris", which I find lovely.

I find this weird, to be honest...

I'd prefer that YSL got to rest in his grave and HS got a brand of his own....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annhedonia Beretta
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->