Hedi Slimane - Designer

Just to add, Alexander McQueen called Hubert de Givenchy "irrelevant" when he designed for Givenchy but he never touched the logo or name of the brand, so why, with all his due respect for Yves Saint Laurent, should Hedi Slimane change the name of the house?

He cannot do this! We get that he is trying to do a complete revamp at YSL...ala Phoebe at Celine. But YSL is ICONIC. Especially the logo/name. Thats like someone taking over at Vuitton or Chanel....and trying to change the name. They, unlike Celine/Balenciaga/Lanvin/Balmain(pre-Phoebe, Nicholas, Alber, Christopher/Olivier), were and continue to be ICONIC and RELEVANT. Those designers had no problem doing a revamp at those houses because there was nothing to loose. But a house like YSL does. That means they would loose their customers who buy those asperational items: YSL logo belts, YSL logo bags, YSL parfums, YSL wallets. Those after all are the bread and butter of big luxury companies. Not the clothes. Maybe he's trying to be more exclusive.

Basically this. I'm so ready to hate everything he does. Hopefully he proves me wrong and also doesn't photograph the campaigns! :cry:

Well it isn't a big departure from the original saint Laurent rive gauche to saint Laurent Paris! This is not like he is introducing something entirely new! I for once applaud the bold move. Infact a very clever one!

The logo will stay as YSL. There is no way it will be SLP. He ain't that stupid. Give him some credit or at least the CEO!

^ Err I believe it is a done deal.
I seriously cannot think of a more idiotic PR move. This is pure arrogance and at this point, my opinion can only be described in a visual manner
bitch_please_ironman.gif

src: ontd

ySL just comes off the tongue so naturally..As much as I think Slimane has done some really incredible things for fashion, unceremoniously chopping off (at least that's what it feels like) 'Yves' from 'Saint Laurent' is just a really terrible move, I think. Can't you rework a label-without changing the name? Yes, you can!

This is ridiculous. And while it's got us all talking about it I can't believe that as a branding exercise this is in any way a good move. So it will keep the YSL logo but be called SLP? Completely pointless.

There seem to be a lot of confusion in the thread about this. Here is how it goes: The name of the company is Yves Saint Laurent, it will still be and the logo will be YSL. Nothing will change.

When Yves and Tom Ford made RTW clothes the line was called Rive Gauche.

When Pilati made RTW the line did not have any special name.

When Slimane makes RTW it will be called Saint Laurent Paris.

The company is not changing name just the line, it has changed name before and its a good way to show that the times are changing.

I believe the font will be the same, the logo won't [SLP instead of YSL] :/

The only vote that matter is Pierre Berge's, and he is very happy with it. Period!

^ To know that Pierre Bergé is very happy with Slimane's changes means a lot. No other designer to follow Saint Laurent has gotten such a welcoming and positive reaction from him. Having read The Beautiful Fall I know how much Bergé's support should mean to Slimane. :heart:

I really can't wait to see what he does with the brand; I'm sure I won't be disappointed...I already love all the changes he's making. (And if the rumor about him preparing the ateliers for the revival of YSL Haute Couture is true, I'll be over the moon!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Slimane has had unconditional support from Bergé from the nineties. I'm happy there are still people as clever and smart as Bergé left.

well if you look at the old image of YSL it was Saint Laurent Rive Gauche. Stefano took away Rove Gauche and now Hedi brought back the old name. At first I could only think about the logo, but since it is still YSL i dont see myself getting my panties in a bunch anymore.

Sounds great to me. Looking forward to the retro branding and totally new feel for the house.

People sud just read the whole story before over-reacting!

Well the story's been coming out in small pieces.

Now that it's been cleared up, I understand the whole "change" better and don't see this as such a bad thing anymore. But I still feel like all of this could have come after his first collection. Prove that he's come up with a good concept and then do the changes necessary marketing wise. Anyway we'll just have to wait and see.

(But it is good sign and really awesome for Hedi that Pierre is supporting him this much)

It's absolutely ABSURD that he's gonna change the brand name. Seriously.
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess that if Pierre Berge approves of all of this no one else's voice really matters. I think he's always loved Hedi, so it really isnt a surprise to me.

:lol: at this quote from Berge in the WWD article:
"I am happy that Stefano Pilati is gone, just as I was happy when Tom Ford left."

My thing is why change the name when there is only one line, I can see the change being made when couture is re-introduced, it just seems superficial and presumptuous me. If Slimane delivers good collections all of this will be forgotten, but if not it will be seen as gimmicky and a cheap way of marking his territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annhedonia Beretta
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->