Hedi Slimane - Designer, Creative Director of Celine

^
ditto, he's not as egotistic as people are making him out to be.

So nice of you to write off my opinion as mere quibbling. I always appreciate having my opinion devalued by someone who simply doesn't agree with me. And FYI, respectfully disagreeing doesn't mean that I stop trying to make my point understood. I'm certainly not telling you your opinions are wrong or meaningless.

And as Izreal so kindly pointed out, the phrase Rive Gauche has nothing to do with fashion terminology, and does not mean RTW. It was a name that Saint Laurent used to brand his RTW, as a way of signifying that stylistically it had more in common with the more artistic, liberal and edgy "Left Bank" of Paris as opposed to the stuffy, traditional and "couture-y" Right. You may feel very passionately about the YSL name, but it seems you might need to re-familiarize yourself with it's history before you go around using words like pointless.

No actually, I didn't write off your opinion, I said its getting into quibbling over semantics.

I did not say "Rive Gauche means RTW". Though I may have gone a bit too far with "it has nothing specific to do with any house". Several (lesser) houses have used Rive Gauche to label/signify their RTW since YSL started it long ago, which was what I was saying. As such, IMHO Gucci/Pilati dropping that sub-name when it did is not as big a deal as changing the entire RTW logo+name.

Anyway, as mentioned previously, I just hope Slimane puts out something for the first collection that can temper both the strong opinions on the name/logo plus the other controversial things that have appeared in the interim. If the collections are fabulous, it overrides most other issues.

Please direct discussion regarding the firing of the YSL store manager here, the discussion isn't providing any constructive discussion regarding Hedi Slimane's career or future career at Saint Laurent.

Also, if you wish to discuss the history of the Saint Laurent branding in a constructive manner, then please direct your comments here, but please note this thread is not dedicated to Saint Laurent and it isn't intended to head that way either.

7_128.jpgGwyn2.jpg

First Look At Hedi Slimane’s Debut Handbag For Saint Laurent – Apparently Designed Especially For Gwyneth Paltrow: EXCLUSIVE

We’ve seen the new logo, debated the quality of the new packaging, but now we can exclusively reveal the first ever Hedi Slimane bag for YSL….and apparently it was made especially for Gwynnie!

Sauntering through the airport in her now signature white shades, Mrs Chris Martin was spotted toting the ultimate arm candy in the form of a mink coloured leather holdall with two simple handles and a long body strap.

We have discovered (yes, we are super sleuths here at Grazia Daily!) that the tote was apparently custom made by Slimane especially for the Iron Man star - and we have to say we think it suits her pretty well.

Gwyneth Paltrow carries Hedi Slimane's first bag for YSL

Slimane’s appointment at the quintessential French luxury brand has caused endless speculation with YSL loyalists criticising his decision to change the name of the ready to wear label to Saint Laurent and his outward steps to move away from the classic YSL values (there were reports that Slimane was intending to move the design studio to L.A.)

Meanwhile Hedi’s legion of fashion fans including Saint Laurent’s former partner Pierre Berge have come to his defence with Berge saying he should be “left to do fashion in a city that he likes.”

Tickets for Slimane’s first runway show for YSL set to take place during Paris Fashion Week in October are the hottest seats in town with planet fashion working itself into a frenzy – needless to say expectations are riding extremely high.

So what does Hedi’s debut bag tell us about what we can expect come October? Number one, quality is going to be key – even from 10 paces you can tell that this is a PLB – proper luxury bag.

Secondly, Slimane’s accessory appears to be wholly without frills – can we expect a strictly minimalist collection to walk down the runway? Seems likely.

Lastly, Slimane’s colour choice of mink – not quite grey, and not quite beige is telling. A seriously flattering neutral tone this hint of mink could be key to Hedi’s S/S 2013 palette. Waiting. With. Bated. Breath!

graziadaily.co.uk

cn_image.size.hedi-slimane.jpg

hedi slimane self prortrait, via Vanity Fair

Before Hedi Slimane created the men’s-skinny-suit revolution at Dior Homme, ushering in the era of the male-model waif, he had worked, from 1996 to 2000, at the house of Yves Saint Laurent, designing for men there also and toiling in the shadow of his heroes, Saint Laurent and the designer’s partner and company chairman, Pierre Bergé. “I have many memories of those years, which were somehow the age of innocence,” Slimane says. “I did not know at all what I was doing, and they trusted me and let me experiment with it.” In 2007, Slimane stepped down from Dior to pursue photography in Los Angeles. Last March he was brought back to YSL, as creative director of the whole company, designing, in his words, “the entire thing on my own—women’s wear, men’s wear, accessories, jewelry, the new store design, the campaigns.” Slimane, 43, has rebranded the line Saint Laurent Paris, but he intends to remain in Los Angeles, where he lives in a 60s Modern house in Beverly Hills and tools around town in a vintage 1980s black Rolls-Royce. (His designs will first be seen by the public at the Paris shows starting at the end of September.) ...

more here http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2012/09/hedi-slimane-rebranding-ysl

Looks like some kind of H&M-esque holdall from afar... :ninja:

Someone asked who the bag was by in another thread here and at first I thought the bag was Prada.

I can't say there is anything overtly special nor unique about the bag, it looks very back to basics, In a bad way.

^ I think the bag looks ok, but at first when I saw the picture I thought it was kate moss... weird...

Heck, it's definetely not an eye-sore like those Celine, Givenchy and Proenza bags.

Like just like in the article stated, a simple minimalistic proper luxury bag, no excessive colorblocking or crazy amounts of hardware.

And nobody at this point has it yet except for Gwynnie, so I guess that's where the eye-sore part comes in.

Not very impressed, tbh. But since it was designed for her, I guess the point is that she likes it.

I hope it wasn't designed by Hedi, hopefully internet trolls just made it up :ninja:

that is a very boring bag lol, I have a feeling his fall collection will have too much black and grey. I doubt it was made "especially " for her, I think it just a publicity tool, but the bags a fail. Sorry it is.

:(Now I miss Pilati more, he is so good at accessories.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet.

Has there been any mention of when we'll get the first glimpse of the menswear? Since YSL skipped the mens shows this summer and did an editors preview alongside the womens cruise collection, this makes me curious if they will present menswear during their womens show next month.

Since Hedi is famed for his runway shows, i'm doubtful he'll present his return to menswear any other way. I'm anticipating this more than the womens collections, as I'm praying he'll stay true to his dior homme silhouette

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet.

Has there been any mention of when we'll get the first glimpse of the menswear? Since YSL skipped the mens shows this summer and did an editors preview alongside the womens cruise collection, this makes me curious if they will present menswear during their womens show next month.

Since Hedi is famed for his runway shows, i'm doubtful he'll present his return to menswear any other way. I'm anticipating this more than the womens collections, as I'm praying he'll stay true to his dior homme silhouette

i'd be very surprised if he changed his aesthetic much

Look what I just found!!! Safilo.com

Attachments

• YSL_2310S.jpg
    YSL_2310S.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 59
  • YSL_6360S.jpg
    YSL_6360S.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads