Hermès denies rumors that Jean Paul Gaultier is leaving

VogueParisLover

Reaction score

(NEW YORK) Change is brewing at Hermès, and it's starting with Jean Paul Gaultier. The designer is said to be resigning from the company; his last collection for the house is due to bow in Paris this October. In addition to producing his eponymous collections of ready-to-wear and haute couture, Gaultier has spent the last six years as Hermès' creative director following Martin Margiela's resignation in early 2003. An Hermès spokesperson did not return requests for comment.

Gaultier's accomplished tenure at Hermès has been governed by critical runway acclaim and tremendous profitability, cementing the brand's enviable status as one of the most recession-proof luxury houses. In July, the company released exceptionally positive earnings reports, announcing a 12% increase in second-quarter sales ($607.4 million at current exchange) in the 3 months ending June 30. Leather goods were up 33.4%; ready-to-wear and fashion increased by 12.7%.

Hermès' courtship of Gaultier began in June 1999, when the brand invested $23 million into the designer's eponymous collection for a 35% stake. "I believe," said Hermès' then-CEO Jean-Louis Dumas at the time, "that Gaultier has the capacity to be what Hermès has become."

Gaultier began his career in 1970 with an after-school job at Pierre Cardin, and in 1978, he received financial backing to launch his own line. Gaultier has worked extensively with Hollywood and its starlets, from outfitting Madonna in her 1990 "Blonde Ambition" tour to dressing Marion Cotillard in a pailette-encrusted white gown for the 2008 Oscars, where she took home the Best Actress statue for La Vie en Rose. Revered as one of Paris' best-loved couturiers whose audiences are quite literally (and consistently) packed to the rafters, Gaultier remains ardently beloved by the fashion press and his loyal clientele. He is also widely admired for his business acumen, especially with regards to fragrance. Most recently, Mickey Rourke and Kylie Minogue attended his universally-lauded show in July.

"Contemporary fashion is melodrama, and Mr. Gaultier saw that parallel and exploited it beautifully," wrote Cathy Horyn of The New York Times. "As the models came out in wafting mousseline gowns and velvet columns, headshots of screen legends-Mae West, Louise Brooks, Audrey Hepburn, Rita Hayworth-swam across the celestial blue backdrop. I half expected, or hoped, that Mr. Gaultier's mug would pop up, too."
ASHLEY BAKER

*fashionweekdaily.com*

Very surprising, he is a great talent, and i do think he understood H well, however it was never a great fit imho, although he made some stunning collections for them.

Very very strange. I don't know why it happened. Business was good but maybe Jean Paul wasn't liking what he was creating.

I wonder who is going to replace him .....

Nooooo! :cry: I love his work for Hermes! Every single one of his shows was a delight to watch, full of chic pieces and the signature crocodile bags :crush:

I guess he's off to other projects, we'll always have his JPG shows ^_^ I, too, am wondering who will replace him.

He's done a great job. Maybe he simply wants to scale back & enjoy his life ...

I was lit thinking about this possibility whilst watching the latest Hermes show.
Who will take over? Who??

Hopefully he goes out with a bang! Can't wait to hear who takes over as I love Hermes.

I absolutely loved Gaultier for Hermès! I have no idea on who can replace him.

TBH I never really loved what he did at Hermes. It was never bad, but it was never really great either. It lacked a lot of the joy, magic and subversion that makes Gaultier so wonderful.

I hope this means that he'll start to put his all into his own collections now that they're his only priority.

^ I really liked the Amelia Earhart collection ... it's always nice & has some interesting ideas. I don't think subversive would be appropriate for Hermes ... what could be less subversive than a Birkin or Kelly :P

^ True, but for me Hermes just always lacked that spark that's so much apart of Gaultier's identity. It was always beautiful, and luxe of course, but it was kind of...formulaic, I suppose.

^ True, but for me Hermes just always lacked that spark that's so much apart of Gaultier's identity. It was always beautiful, and luxe of course, but it was kind of...formulaic, I suppose.

Well unlike Gaultier's own brand, Hermes in general was always more subdued and classic in look, never really innovative. It's a safe luxury good brand that never needed to be changed and wanted to stay very small. Maybe that's why he feels he needs to go? His vision are rather BIG for Hermes anyhow.

Correct. To me, Hermes was not as much about pushing the envelope-it's a brand that is known for being more classic, and to me when I first started getting into fashion, three things: the Birkin, the Kelly, and the scarves. I hope that this means that JPG himself will be putting on even crazier shows, and I expect a lot more now because it's not going to be two lines, just one.

As long as Véronique Nichanian doesn't resign, I'm okay with that. Sorry ladies!

is the leadership at hermes asleep at the wheel to accept his resignation?! have they not seen their sales' figures lately? they just recently had to cosign another gator farm to meet the demand for those irresistible bags! gaultier breathed a new life into that house and lead them to places that kept them growing even in this economic turmoil!!! no wonder that last hermes campaign had none of the earhart inspirations that the runway did....

however, they could always woo galliano away from dior at this point. also, gaultier probably needs to focus on securing a legacy for his own house. no one's immune to the financial challenges going on in fashion right now.

^the sales are maybe up ...
but as i already said, a lot of people inside hermès and the 'real' hermès customers are not really happy with him ...

hermès is not a house like LV ...

i'm sure they are happy about the rise % ... but they prefer to keep it low-profile

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sfan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->