Jean Paul Gaultier for Target

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by lucy92, Sep 18, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. lucy92

lucy92 Administrator

Jean Paul Gaultier Said Linking With Target

Target is ready to walk on the wild side with Jean Paul Gaultier.

Sources told WWD that Gaultier is next up in the discounter’s Designer Collaboration series, a relatively new concept geared to bolster the chain’s cheap-chic status.

A Gaultier collection wouldn’t appear in the stores for some time, but Target, said sources, has the ball in motion.

“We don’t have anything to share other than we admire his work and incredible design aesthetic,” a Target spokesman said Thursday.

A spokeswoman for Gaultier declined comment.

Target’s DC series entails recruiting established designers with strong reputations to create collections based on their muses or other creative inspirations.

The series made its debut with Alexander McQueen in March with McQ Alexander McQueen for Target, inspired by Leila Moss, lead singer of The Duke Spirit. Anna Sui followed this month by channeling the TV program “Gossip Girl.” She’s a fan of the show.

Gaultier is known for edgy street fashion interpretations, a Parisian panache, over-the-edge couture, generating lots of media and groupie followings.

excerpt from wwd.com

2. sedirea

sedirea New Member

Well that would be thrilling.

3. lucy92

lucy92 Administrator

yep, its a great idea. JPG has always been a good sport about things. (i think he would have said yes to a H&M collab. as well)

it would be awesome if there was a mens collection as well.

4. lucy92

lucy92 Administrator

It has been confirmed.

The collection will launch on March 7 next year and be available from over 250 stores as well on the website, TARGET.COM, until April 11.

"Jean Paul Gaultier for Target pays tribute to the American woman, celebrating the forces of style both past and present in American pop culture, the retailer said."

quote from wwd (perhaps someone with a subscription can tell us if there any more info)

5. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

another designer endeavour and another time men are left completely ignored. when are they ever going to get it? men like style too and we like cheap stuff as well. JPG could have done some nice stuff for the guys.

6. lucy92

lucy92 Administrator

i think he would have done a mens collection if asked as well. it would have boosted his mens fragrance sales.

i noticed that anna sui promoted an exclusive fragrance for target with her collection last month. maybe JPG will be doing the same.

7. kiddokiddo

kiddokiddo New Member

I agree completely....

I'm dreaming of a day that Rick Owens would do something in that realm :blush:^_^

8. CaitlinC

CaitlinC New Member

Ooo sounds wonderful.

I love Target so much as it is.

This has just deepened by loved for them. XD

9. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

although i still think designers should choose h+m before target anyday, it just goes to show you that this economy has really separated out the wheat from the chaff. jean-paul gaultier understands how to make money in a recession. he gave us denim corsets in menswear, gaga at couture, pregnant corsets during ready to wear, and tennis lovelies at hermes and now he does this.

he's right up there with lagerfeld as far as prolific designers at this point. where does he find the time, really?

#9 mikeijames, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by moderator versaceschoolboi: Oct 20, 2009
  10. Scott

^i don't really understand why people say H&M would be better. it's not the first time i've heard that. from a market standpoint i suppose,but the quality is no more better and the aesthetics would be almost similar. and afterall target is really one of the forerunners(they were doing this long before H&M) in the whole designer edition thing in the first place.

besides target is everywhere H&M is not in this country and is available on-line. so it does have it's advantages too. and like mcqueen tried to do,gaultier obviously wants to tap into the american market more. and target is the best place for that without losing your dignity.

11. mikeijames

^from a cash infusion standpoint, target's a better pick. looking from an exclusivity perspective, h + m remains the easy choice. no one's going to line up outside of target for JPG's line for target. they'll fight for it at h+m and as the karl and stella collections proved, it'll bring out more than just the bargain shopper. it'll bring out people who can actually afford the real deal.

12. Alejandro

Alejandro & R.V.R

^ i somewhat agree, but i think jpg is more clever for doing target instead of h&m like every other BIG name designer has done.

i can't wait to see this! i know it's going to be great. hopefully it'll be like what junior gaultier used to be in the late 80s/early 90s.

#12 Alejandro, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by moderator craig jones: Oct 22, 2009
  13. gateau

gateau New Member

sadly, we don't have target here (in UK)...

I think people prefer H&M over target because the target GO international clothes tend to be more safe and boring (from what I have seen)...

I think designers choose target or H&m depending on financial reasons (i.e. offered more money?) rather than for their love of the store/market...

14. Scott

actually i do believe it is about the market and accessibility. as surprising as it may be to some,H&M is not as accessible to people here as it is in europe and in the major american cities,otherwise he could have just done an edition with H&M if he just wanted that success....but the fact that he was in talks with target it's obvious he wanted to counter that cash-strapped american fashion consumer.

15. diorrnottwarr

diorrnottwarr New Member

In my opinion, the online thing is definitely a huge factor in choosing Target over H&M. Given the current shaky financial situation for designers, choosing H&M for it's exclusivity would just be elitist and, frankly, stupid in terms of a business decision. I also don't think it will turn away the people who can actually afford the real stuff. JPG is prolific enough that true fashion lovers will pick up the pieces if they're nice. It's not as if the line is going to Wal-Mart; Target has done a decent job of establishing its designer collaborations as actual fashion not 'bargain clothing'. I doubt regular Target shoppers will pick up these pieces like its a typical Target garment, it is JPG after all.

That being said, I'm anxious to see how his aesthetic translates to a much more mainstream market. I also have to second the disdain for menswear being left out, again.

16. CaitlinC

CaitlinC New Member

I think choosing Target was a good choice as well.

Not everyone has an H&M to go to.

Target is more widespread and will reach the consumer more.

Target has evolved into being more than just a discount department store. It truly has set itself apart from stores like Walmart and Kmart. They are willing to take risks with actual designers and bring something affordable to the masses.

With the holiday season coming soon, not many people are going to have the money to spread at places like H&M.

#16 CaitlinC, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by moderator lorenabupt: Oct 22, 2009
  17. ettebe

ettebe New Member

This should be interesting :/

18. mikeijames

it might just be me, but outside of quick cash, which designer can really say they've netted some sort of measurable cachet or benefit by presenting a target collection? they've done quite a few and i don't see a track record of it anywhere. i mean, from alice temperley to rogan, i just don't see the traction -- other than a momentary blip in the press -- these collections provide. also, jean paul gaultier isn't some upstart that needs to kick start name ID. there are several generations of fashionista who have bought JPG in the past that just have stopped. in the late nineties, you couldn't walk the streets without seeing masses wearing JPG tees or wearing JPG fragrance or something.

okay, i've said my piece.

19. lucy92

lucy92 Administrator

i always had the impression lately that JPG has sensed that he's in his twilight. that he's winding down things...i could be wrong however. but its just the impression that i get. i dont think he cares about expanding his business per se. he may just be doing it for the fun of it. i also think JPG wants to be liked. thats why you never hear horrendous stories of him being rude/making gaffes etc.

i haven't heard of any designers revealing that they've turned down target. but i have read many designers discuss turning down H&M. (christian louboutin revealed today that he said no. mcqueen has turned down both H&M and topshop) and tom binns and betsey johnson have discussed lately how they've love to work with target.

20. Scott

^oooh...tom binns....imagine :wub:

anyway,it could have a lot to do with the heads at target. perhaps they treat them like creatives,with respect,and these endeavours more like they're projects? rather than just a pure business venture.