How do I start my own magazine?

Starting Your Own Magazine

I want to start my own magazine in the early future and I was wondering how to do it. I don't live in a major city and I don't have a big budget. It's not going to be a magazine like Vogue Paris:wub:, it would be kind of like prim. magazine. Thanks.:flower:

Opps, sorry about title. It's only supposed to be "Starting Your Own Magazine". I was just trying to make the title bold. Embarrassing!:blush:

i've been wanting to start a magazine in the future. i'll probably start on online magazine as of now. i've learned a lot from here. thank you! :smile:

Im working on starting a print magazine with a couple of colleagues, and I have a few questions about the PR side of things. We're doing a bridal mag and we'd like to have runway photos of the gowns, and product shots of everything else (head pieces, jewelry, make up, decor, etc). Whats the best way to go about approaching PR companies about getting these shots of their clients products? And will they ultimately get insulted if we waste their time and end up editing their products out?

Also, Im wondering, is it legal to publish another companies logo? For example, can we print a picture of Maybelline Great Lash Mascara that we took ourselves, or is that some kind of copyright infringement because of the logo, TM, whatever?

As far as I have been told in the print jobs I have had before, any photo you yourself take of any product is legal to print. In particular if it is an endorsement of the product or brand you have nothing to worry about, because the brands will be happy to have the coverage.

As for getting in touch with PR agencies about running images of their gowns and other items, they should oblige you as this will be free advertising for their labels. They will probably only request you list the photographer's credits in there if you choose to publish the pics.

Good luck :flower:

^Thanks! Should we try to get some sort of release saying we have permission to use the photos they give us? Im just worried about getting sued later on down the road lol.

Sure you could just do something simple over emails, getting them to state you have permission and what the terms of the usage of all photos they give you are- specifications, when the terms will change etc. Then print it out and keep a copy of it; should be all you need, but I wouldn't worry too much, like I said, it's not their concern- their concern is getting visibility for their products, which you are giving them. :flower:

So I am looking to start a fashion magazine for my college- or at least an online magazine if the college doesn't want to support it- but I have a few questions.
First off, has anyone ever created a magazine which will only be seen by schoolmates? Was it successful?
Secondly, since this would be a free magazine who should I talk to get funds or would I have to apply for grants or something?
The school which I attend has a great communications, photography and graphic design department so I do think I have that in my favor.
How long does it typically take to start up a magazine? I'm thinking since it is towards the end of the school year (school lets out in May) that I wouldn't be able to publish the first issue until September. Would this be sufficient amount of time to work on the first issue? If I gathered a good group of people who wanted to work on the magazine and we worked on it over the summer could we have it published by September? :flower:

If it's a free magazine you have two options, one you can register it as a private company and generate the capital you need to fund it by selling advertising space in the magazine. This could potentially prove quite profitable because if your college doesn't have a magazine filling a niche you could make a clean sweep with a lot of advertisers trying to reach the student demographic. You would need to get someone/a team of people who handle the ad sales and who would take it seriously- a magazine like this will succeed or fail based on how well you are filling your pages with ads. One option would be to give the ad team commission on ad sales- I think 12% of sales is standard, but maybe you'd have to ask around in the forums to be sure.
The other option would be to make the magazine a not for profit venture, apply for grants or affiliate yourself with one of the departments in the school (the visual arts, photography, english, communications, journalism, media... it would be up to you depending on what kind of magazine you are looking to make).
If you go for option one you need to be pretty professional about your approach. Either way your magazine has to have a strong mandate (what is your focus, who is your target reader, etc) and one of the most important things you will need (aside from good ad sales) is a strong art department- someone or several people who are good with lay-out and graphic design and know how to make the magazine look really slick and professional.
If you go for option two then it can be more 'grass roots' and street, you don't necessarily have to focus so much on making it something slick. Obviously in this case you aren't trying to woo advertisers with the beauty of your mag, it would be more of a 'made by students for students' thing and you an be more amateur and relaxed about it.
Myself I would go for the first approach because if you are going to go to all the trouble of making a publication, who do things in halves? But it depends on your time commitment. If you produced it as a quarterly thing you could probably balance it with school, although it's still a lot of work... I did that with my first publication and held a full time job over the course of it to help keep it floating, but I had no social life and had to sacrifice a lot. You have to ask yourself how much you want to give I suppose.
I think it is doable by September but your first step would be to define for yourself what kind of magazine you would want to make- take a look at the ones you like and don't like and determine what you want to do with it.
Then you will need to start looking for fellow students or graduates who are interested in launching something like this with you knowing that there will not be much money/any money at all in it for them for the first while at least, but that if done properly it could be something quite successful.
Good luck! :flower:

Thank you so much Fiancee! Your advice was so helpful. I need some more time to think about exactly what kind of magazine I want to make. I have lots of ideas so I think I need think a little bit more about it. However, you brought up several points which I hadn't even thought about. I'm quite lucky to attend a school which has such a great communications and art department so I plan on using this to my advantage! :smile:

Hi everyone! along the lines of starting a new magazine...
1) how do you go about getting models from the better agencies for editorials?
2) what kind of rates should we expect to pay for new faces or slightly experienced (we won't be hiring anja rubik just yet!)? Do they ever do it for free just to get their models published?
3) Finally, should we expect to have to convince them to work with us as a newer magazine, or will they just be happy to have more business. Just want to know what to expect before we start making calls!

thanks!!!

The first question the average model booker should ask you is who the photographer is, followed by a demand to know who the stylist is if the photographer's name doesn't ring any loud bells. In other words, booking models is really the preserve of the photographer and, occasionally, if powerful or high-profile, the stylist.

The only time agencies generally do anything "free" is for model tests, when they send girls to photographers they trust *edited* in order to have them photographed for their agency cards and web profiles. Even if you get a girl for a fashion story free of fees because she needs tear sheets and work experience, you will be expected to cover her expenses.

Regarding Question 3, it really depends on who you are and who you know. If you know any model bookers, try chatting them up first. They have have some girls in need of experience and tear sheets. Going to see the agency might be better than cold-calling them as they receive a lot of calls from wannabes, jokers and weirdos.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you so much prosperk.... **edited**

so if we take out expectations for free shoots, do you have an idea of what we should offer to pay without insulting them? i.e. 200? or more like 500.. again for newer faces

thanks again!

Starting out online sounds like the most logical thing to do. Getting people to volunteer - they get exposure and so do you and it's a way of keeping costs to a minimum.

Up and coming people of their trade; fashion students, photography students graphic designers and freelance writers are people who would probably be most willing to contribute to a new online publication.

Also getting members of your local community supporting you - local businesses, such as independent shops, creative venues and galleries as well as musicians, artists.

Hi everyone! along the lines of starting a new magazine...
1) how do you go about getting models from the better agencies for editorials?
2) what kind of rates should we expect to pay for new faces or slightly experienced (we won't be hiring anja rubik just yet!)? Do they ever do it for free just to get their models published?
3) Finally, should we expect to have to convince them to work with us as a newer magazine, or will they just be happy to have more business. Just want to know what to expect before we start making calls!

thanks!!!

Another option would be to try casting these shoots with 'real girls', or girls who are not yet represented. While I'll admit there can be more risk in doing this, just in terms of you getting a girl who has no idea how to pose or model properly, often this is what you will be getting when you book the 'new face' girls at the agency anyway... and if you are starting out, and have booked a reasonably patient photographer, as long as the girl has a good look, the team can usually work together to get a good result at the end of the day.
I speak from experience because I ran an 'alternative' publication and part of our approach was to represent 'real' people- not in the sense that they were average looking, which they were not. We liked beautiful people in beautiful photos but there was a sense that the faces had more personality and were not all crazy tall, crazy slim and classic looking.

It's not necessarily the IDEAL solution but it's not a bad one. The number of beautiful young girls (and guys mind you!) just walking around in most major cities represents a veritable gold-mine, and if you are plugged in to a good network (even Facebook is a good start) you're sure to find attractive strangers who would not be opposed to the idea of being in a fashion story.

The trick to getting complete strangers involved would be 1) a website or some tangible thing to show them which represents the 'publication' (online or otherwise) that you are hoping to feature them in,
2) other examples of work you or your associates have done (links to photographers or stylists or art directors you have or are working with)
and 3) it helps if you yourself are well presented and very professional- you have a company email with signature, you have business cards, you have an office... and though it's unfair to admit it, it's a big plus if you are a female in this situation, because it is always less threatening.
and lastly your best bet is that the project you are proposing doesn't entail anything particularly untoward or risque, like full frontal nudity, which would be a hard sell to a stranger.

It might sound like more work, but I actually found it otherwise, and it gives your publication an air of originality, because it will be featuring faces that are new, fresh, undiscovered and unusual. And we got the last laugh at our office when, after several years of working in this way, with unknown faces we found on the street, agencies were mailing us their packages and we would frequently have photographers book repped girls free of charge because our magazine was 'good exposure'. :rolleyes:B)

Good luck!

fiancee.. thank you for such a thoughtful response, i appreciate your suggestion. congrats on making your publication successful to the point where people are hoping to get their models in there!

would you mind sharing a link to the publication? only if you're comfortable putting it in such a public forum of course, totally understand if you'd rather not

have a good day!!!

thank you so much prosperk.... **edited**

so if we take out expectations for free shoots, do you have an idea of what we should offer to pay without insulting them? i.e. 200? or more like 500.. again for newer faces

thanks again!

I wouldn't offer to pay them if I were you! None of the Condé Nast titles on which I worked ever paid models, as far as I recall. Of course, they have more weight than a new independent title. The magazines usually paid their expenses as well as those of the photographer and his crew, including hair and make-up. On the rare occasion that a photographer was paid - their agents usually tred to get as many pages as possible and, obviously, the cover rather than fees - it was around $200 and that was for a cover by a top smudger.

Of course, you need to watch it with expenses because middling to top girls often demand business class tickets and expensive hotel rooms. Newbies are content to share a cardboard box on the Bowery with Bourbon Bill or to sleep ten to a bed in some lice-ridden rat hole because it's sometimes better than where they grew up.

Seriously, though, there is a trade-off in that photographers, stylists, hairstylists, make-up artists and models will do magazine fashion stories or "editorials" FOC as long as they are good enough to go into their books and on their websites and attract advertising contracts. That's their goal when they look at any magazine, established or new.

So you need to offer a certain amount of artistic liberty as well. The stories need to be really well-conceived. Of course, many photographers and stylists will propose their own ideas so your fashion editor's ego shouldn't be too big, if you get my drift. A good magazine, like a good party, should involve an eclectic mixture of people, styles and tastes.

There again, they will also often demand certain models and that's where what was shaping up to be a really great shoot becomes a headache, because the model's agents will start trying to scalp you. This is where you have to take a deep breath, forget that you are dealing with Photographer Numero Uno, and say "No, we can't afford their expenses. Sorry!" At this point, many photographers will actually cover those expenses themselves, if they are rich and successful.

It's just another variation on good old-fashioned horsetrading. There's no handbook. You just have to get in there and sink or swim. Another booby trap to watch out for is the location. I consulted to a start-up a couple of years back. The editor/publisher/fashion director/any cool title she felt she deserved was a pathological egomaniac with various 'issues', including the conviction that she should not have to pay anyone for anything.

So, there we all are, with an iconic photographer, the requisite new model of the moment (only because of the photographer), a good crew and so on. First the photographer switches locations from somewhere around Paris to Spain. A polite but firm telephone call later, telling him "No Way José", and it's back to Paris but in a top studio. I rang all the alarm bells but my client's ego had taken over. She had appointed herself the stylist on the shoot and she would have killed for the fix.

As they were doing the last photograph of this shoot, which turned out to be a three-legged dog of a series that you couldn't even sell to Vague Mars, the studio manager turned up with the bill, wanting immediate settlement as he'd sensed 'doomed newbies'. The Ego threw a tantrum before collapsing in tears because the bill was higher than it would have been had they gone to Spain.

So, watch out for the hidden traps. Establish your budgets and don't be scared of telling anyone, no matter how important they seem, that those are the budgets, full stop. If they're talking to you in the first place, they want something you can give them, right? Most of the time, anyway. So bluff them. If that shoot brings them some advertising work, you won't get a commission! You won't even be thanked. So treat it as the trade-off it is. They're good for you but you're good for them too.

All this said, I approve mightily of the suggestion that you cast your models in the street. Walk down Spring Street on a sunny day and you'll be spoiled for choice. You'll also create more interesting shoots. We sent one young but very interesting photographer to Africa one time. Cheap tickets. He got off the plane with the stylist and someone carrying the clothes, charmed the locals and got one of the only non-patronising "Black" stories I can remember in a house where I was once told to tell Peter Lindbergh that the Rachel Roberts cover he had shot for Australian Vogue couldn't be used because the hairstylist hadn't straightened her hair and the local publisher felt people might think she was a "half-caste" with her "velco hair and thick lips". With all credit to the owners, this dinosaur was sacked soon afterwards. But that's how it was and how it remains in many areas of Planet Fashion.

So, moral of that situation: do your casting in the street by all means but remember whose clothes and accessories you're gonna be putting on those people and remember that some of your potential advertisers - the people getting those brand credits on the story - are raving bigots who tend to use Aryan models because that's the image they want to promote. Plenty of anecdotes along those lines too, but I've rambled on long enough and I have an appointment with some pain down the gym. Gotta keep that belt buckle in plain sight...

Levity aside - and you do need a sense of humour to launch a fashion mag - feel free to drop me a line if you need any serious advice because you're obviously approaching this mission in a thoughtful way, and asking some very pertinent question, which sets you aside from the atmosphere whistlers.

PK

How cool is that Prosperk answered your questions vanrijn! I appreciate his insightful opinion on fashion magaziness. And being fashion editor\stylist\producer\makeupartist in a magazine I work for 4 years, it was always great to have his replies and helpful answers to my questions!

prosperk - my apologies for the late reply as I just saw this--it's been hectic to say the least (in a good way), but thank you SO MUCH for your extremely thoughtful response. That helps a lot, and as always I love your 'colorful' stories which add so much helpful detail, never for a second view it as rambling!!
I see your point about the benefit they receive from being published, and I think a lot of this 'pitching' we are expecting to do will be 10x easier once the first issue comes out and people actually see our vision and how artistic the final product is. So as you said, we are dealing with the 'egos' and 'divas' in the meantime, but we just stay focused on our goals.

I appreciate your offer, and will drop you a line as things progress!!! hope you had a good workout!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"