How Do You Wear Fishnets?

cinapuff

Reaction score
I'm curious how you would wear fishnet pantyhoses/tights (not sure of the terminology here :unsure: ). Do you wear just the fishnets or do you wear pantyhoses underneath? I usually wear my fishnets with a pair of sheer pantyhoses (the same color as the fishnets) underneath. It makes me feel more tasteful as I think fishnets are almost too vulgar for me.. :blush: Almost that is, I still wear them though.. :P

Originally posted by cinapuff@Oct 20 2004, 11:22 PM
I'm curious how you would wear fishnet pantyhoses/tights (not sure of the terminology here :unsure: ). Do you wear just the fishnets or do you wear pantyhoses underneath? I usually wear my fishnets with a pair of sheer pantyhoses (the same color as the fishnets) underneath. It makes me feel more tasteful as I think fishnets are almost too vulgar for me.. :blush: Almost that is, I still wear them though.. :P
[snapback]403275[/snapback]​

Good question.
I would say you're right on the money.
I see many women wear hose under their fishnets, but a current trend is wearing them in complementary colors. I remember seeing someone wear green fishnets over a yellow hose, while wearing a vintage green halter dress. It was beautiful. Very subtle, but completed the outfit.

You could easily wear them seperately, but I'm such an advocate for 'outside the box fashion', that it simply wouldn't do. Mix it up!

I wear them with crazy colors underneath, usually.

I have a green pair that look smashing over black opaque tights.

I typically wear opaque tights anyway, because I can't be bothered to shave my legs!

I'm not really fond of fishnets, but I did have a pair that was skincolor and rather tightly knit. I liked them lots. I guess that would be a similar effect as wearing tights that are the same color underneath. But doing that kind of defies the purpose... IMO if you are going to wear fishnets don't wear anything underneath. But if that's your style, then you should definatly wear it.

I say, the less people see of them the better. Just show a little peek at them, like pair a right-above-the- knee-length pencil skirt with a pair of high heeled just under the knee boots and the fishnets peeking out. For something more daring, do a pair of pumps instead of boots.

No offense to anyone here but when I see fishnets the first thing I think of is:

STREETWALKER!

I don't know what it is about those that just make me think someone is a "working girl".

To each his/her own. Its definetaly not for me, but if I were to ever loose my mind and wear them, I'd probably put a completely oppisite colour underneath.

It all depends on how you wear them, whether or not you look like a sex worker or just somebody with funky fashion sense.

If you wear them with modest footwear (I mostly use combat boots) and the rest of your clothing is not ultra-revealing, there is nothing trampy about the look. Unconventional and punky, maybe, but sl*tty, not at all.

I take the peek-a-boo approach, and wear them with a knee length skirt and tasteful boots.

i'm usually sooo scared of fishnets, but the peek-a-boo approach might be something to try!

I'm SICK of those little scenester girls wearing fishnets with biker boots, minis, and too much eyeliner.

Though I do like to jazz up a prim knee-length skirt and demure pumps with coloured fishnets in blue, nude-coloured, or brown, for instance.

I love my fishnet shirt... but the pantyhoses, I wear them whether with really lady-like shoes 40's glamour :wub: , or with solid opaque burgundy or pine green underneath to get a more scottish look, and it doesn't look trashy as most girls that wear them, it actually looks innocent. :angel:

layer them! that's what i do when i'm feeling especially brave and wacky. i get my red with white polkadot vintage dress (similar style to the one purplelucreza posted) and two pairs of fishnets, one red one white (different eyelet sizes but i'm sure it'd work if they were the same) and wear them together with my white converse. i don't know how it looks but i could care less when i feel that confident. :D

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 49
I love fishnets... but yah i do think the less of them you see the better. You can get faux fishnets then you dont have to wear another pair underneath the fishnets

I really like those lacey tights too

Fishnets are nothing to be afraid of. It would take a lot more than hosiery to get people confused about what kind of working girl I am :D That said, I do not wear plain fishnets; I always get a more complex pattern, like double fishnet or more of a crocheted look or I have some that have a small fishnet overlaid with a big pattern that looks like ballet laces going up your leg. I wore them all last winter and no one ever looked at me askance ... usually with long skirts with a slit in the back, which does in fact create a peekaboo effect.

I love my fishnets!! And no no, I won't let anyone say they are sl*tty! :wink:

They look nothing but elegant and 60's-demure with tweed A-line or pencil right-below-the-knee skirts, stack heels and a cardigan and pearls, for example. And I simply love how they look with Mary-Janes or ballet flats.

The only thing I really wouldn't wear them with are short-shorts, but then again I'd never wear short shorts anyway :D. And perhaps in the most conservative of environments they wouldn't be suitable. But I strongly think there's no such thing as a single item of clothing that is vulgar...or classy for that matter. It's how you wear it.

I have fishnet trouser socks.. but that's all the fishnet that I can do. :D Yu can only see a tiny bit of them when I wear them with myheels or flats.

Melisande said:
I love my fishnets!! And no no, I won't let anyone say they are sl*tty! :wink:

They look nothing but elegant and 60's-demure with tweed A-line or pencil right-below-the-knee skirts, stack heels and a cardigan and pearls, for example. And I simply love how they look with Mary-Janes or ballet flats.

The only thing I really wouldn't wear them with are short-shorts, but then again I'd never wear short shorts anyway :D. And perhaps in the most conservative of environments they wouldn't be suitable. But I strongly think there's no such thing as a single item of clothing that is vulgar...or classy for that matter. It's how you wear it.

Well said :flower:

I wear mine with ballets too, also kitten heels and 40s style round-toe pumps. Unfortunately most of mine have a solid panel at the bottom of the feet that limits what I can wear them with (the shoes can't be cut too low on the sides). Mine are mostly brown and black, but I also have some that are partly metallic gold and a pair that's flesh-tone (my skin is so pale there's still contrast) ... those of you who are timid might look up a pair of those, they're pretty subtle :wink:

Black fishnets have been so overdone imo but I have some med. grey fishnets that I think I'll continue to wear.

I bought a pair on the bf's request and I paired them with a great little black dress that hits just below the knee with a pair of pointy toed stilettos. It looked very prim and pretty, no hint of working girl at all! But I also choose a small knit and I kept the outfit themed together by having it all be black. I just wish that I had bought ones with a full foot pad, not just a toe pad- they weren't all that comfortable to walk in- or, maybe that was the 3in stilettos!

fishnets can be lotso fun! i've worn the medium gage fishnets in shades of purple with hot pink tights underneath, topped off with a white with black polka dots dress, that falls below the knees, and pink stilleto ankle boot heels covered with a black blazer. i try to mix up the large holes with the tighter holes underneath in a contrasting color always!! i've gotten asked by so many where i get mine that i've started selling them on my site. check out the different colors and styles...for example fishnet thigh hi's, fishnet garter belt stockings and much more in a plethora of colors, plus they are dance quality :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inafrombaki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->