How to start the fashion thing - what are the basics?

^ OK, I gotcha.

Mine had me start paying for all my own clothes around junior high ... but that didn't stop Mom from voicing her opinion in the dressing room at the top of her lungs on occasion :rolleyes: Maybe that's why I still shop alone to this day :lol:

I always had a summer/Christmas job, and some years a part-time job during the school year too.

^ Agreed, gius, second-hand can be great when you're a student. I was just thinking about some of the great bargains I got back in the day ...

That's interesting to hear
I was declined buying new clothes most of the time :rolleyes: Only when I really needed it. One coat for the winter for example.
or if I went to church wearing something that was falling apart. haha

I just realized that I will be out of school in a few weeks, and how this will change the way I dress for every day. I mean, up until now I've always somewhat based my outfits on whether or not they are comfortable and appropriate for spending the day in school. But soon that 'barrier' will be gone, and I will be able to dress from a different perspective. It feels quite liberating.. I will be able to express myself in a new way, for a life that I've chosen myself. How brilliant!

I think that if you're trying to find your own style, you should be wary of sales. I have bought so many clothes that weren't right for me because they were a great deal. Once I realized that sales were leading me astray, I started to figure out what I truly wanted. And I think I spend less money now, because I'm only buying things I really love.

^ I agree.

I do shop sales now, but only when I need something. With the bad economy, there are actually good things left now ... I've been to sales in the past where there was literally something wrong with every single thing still on the rack. (Like a serious design flaw, not damaged merchandise ...)

Yes, sometimes I've bought things in a sale, not to wear, but to use as fabric/components for other projects. They've been ideal for that purpose (and at that price), but that's all they were good for.

I came across this quote today & thought of this thread ...

"Be what you are. This is the first step toward becoming better than what you are."

--JC Hare and AW Hare

I have bought so many clothes that weren't right for me because they were a great deal. And I think I spend less money now, because I'm only buying things I really love.

I'm next in line after fashionista-ta with a quote! :lol:

Isaaz Mizrahi says something amazing during commercial breaks of Bravo's The Fashion Show:

"Quality is always more important than quantity... every time."

That is loosely quoted because I've forgotten is word for word. :doh::P

Best basics

What are the basics for a (new) wardrobe?
Like jeans, a blazer, little black dress etc.
What are your favourite basics?

(sorry for the bad english haha)

I think there may be some other threads about wardrobe buildling and basics here...

My wardrobe is based on:
+ skinny black jeans/pants
+ black, grey, and white t-shirt-style, drapey, or silk shirts -- lots of wang and helmut lang here
+ oversized blazer
+ tiny black leather jacket
+ long black wrap cardigan
+ in the summer, lots and lots of loose sexy jersey racerback tanks (see again, wang. G-DDAMMIT)
+ high waisted black pencil skirts
+ a good pair of ballet flats
+ basic colourful pumps
+ serious heeled black lace-up boot

Tips for a fashion beginner / starter wardrobe?

I am new to posting, so I apologize if this post isn't as eloquent as others.

I am just now reinventing my wardrobe after a major removal of multiple pieces I was no longer using.

Now I am starting with a fresh slate I am a young woman (20) on a budget so I am looking for suggestions to help me build a chic beginners wardrobe that I can build into something glamourous.

What pieces are a must have for a woman my age?

Where do I begin on the path to become a more fashion forward woman?

I am feeling a little overwhelmed.

Thank you for your time and responses. :smile:

merged with a pre-existing thread on the topic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->