How to start the fashion thing - what are the basics?

pointup

living in the sprawl
Reaction score
So, basically I hate all my clothes. and NO I'm not in a "mood" it's just the way it is :P ha. I know it sounds really weird (well probably not weird) my wardrobe isn't me. It isn't really a style in my opinion. All my teenage years I have chosen very blah safe choices, I guess it was just one effect of the depression I've been going through for awhile.

I've always been into fashion, I love so much about it, and I wish I could have a style... The thing is I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE TO START!?!?!? I have recently gone shopping and bought stuff which I feel is me... but it amounts to 2 ITEMS! haha. I have no clothes that I desire wearing and I'm not a wealthy 16 year old by any stretch of the imagination.

Ever since I've been under my med treatment for depression I have this outburt to show how in to fashion i am, in the past I've been way to consumed in this black wave to express myself in such a manner.. basically I kept my image inside of me..

So, I was wondering how to change my WHOLE wardrobe.. little by little, so I can feel good about getting dressed, because the sad ordeal is I never have. I've always looked through my in style, vogue, elle, teen vogue wishing I had everything in it, but never acting on it. I don't know how to establish well put together looks. :ninja: I know my question isn't clear and I don't want to bore you with any sob story, there is none.. I'm just tryiing to explain that I am fashionably on the inside, how do I apply this to my outside??

any advice on how to est style..where to start would be greatly appreciated :flower:

yes, I know I don't post here a lot a lot but I do enjoy reading the forums immensely, and thank you in advance!

Why not start by establishing a look book? Find a cardboard box and some magazines. When you see a photo you like, tear it out and throw it in the box. If you like part of it, circle the part you like and throw it in the box. Don't think about it, just clip it. Even if it's something you would never wear -- a ballgown for instance -- clip it anyway.

When you are in the mood, flip through the box and see what the photos have in common. Are you always choosing the same colours? Are they very feminine or anti-feminine? All skirts and no trousers? That sort of thing. If you educate your eye, when you do decide to go shopping, you'll look at things differently.

You might also want to pick up the The Lucky Shopping Manual: Building and Improving Your Wardrode Piece by Piece to help get you started.

Good luck! :flower:

thanks so much, tealady!

those are amazing and very helpful suggestions! :flower:

The look book idea is a good one, it's a bit like finding your style through free association...

Another thing you could do is to ask a few people, with style instincts you really trust, what they think would look good on you in general. And/or you could take pics of yourself wearing different outfits and later evaluate them.

I'm suggesting this because it can be hard to be objective about yourself when you're looking in a mirror. Just because you like something doesn't mean it'll suit you, you need to discover what works for you personally.

An example; a swarthy guy might love shiny, sharp Italian suits but they make him look like a mafia member or international terrorist, no matter how beautiful the suits are. English tweeds and other matte fabrics might work better. Maybe a different palette of colours. (Not that all swarthy guys look bad in shiny suits, just an example!)

Don't be afraid to try new things, and good luck!

Originally posted by pointup@Mar 16th, 2004 - 7:43 pm
So, basically I hate all my clothes. and NO I'm not in a "mood" it's just the way it is :P ha. I know it sounds really weird (well probably not weird) my wardrobe isn't me. It isn't really a style in my opinion. All my teenage years I have chosen very blah safe choices, I guess it was just one effect of the depression I've been going through for awhile.

I've always been into fashion, I love so much about it, and I wish I could have a style... The thing is I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE TO START!?!?!? I have recently gone shopping and bought stuff which I feel is me... but it amounts to 2 ITEMS! haha. I have no clothes that I desire wearing and I'm not a wealthy 16 year old by any stretch of the imagination.

Ever since I've been under my med treatment for depression I have this outburt to show how in to fashion i am, in the past I've been way to consumed in this black wave to express myself in such a manner.. basically I kept my image inside of me..

So, I was wondering how to change my WHOLE wardrobe.. little by little, so I can feel good about getting dressed, because the sad ordeal is I never have. I've always looked through my in style, vogue, elle, teen vogue wishing I had everything in it, but never acting on it. I don't know how to establish well put together looks. :ninja: I know my question isn't clear and I don't want to bore you with any sob story, there is none.. I'm just tryiing to explain that I am fashionably on the inside, how do I apply this to my outside??

any advice on how to est style..where to start would be greatly appreciated :flower:

yes, I know I don't post here a lot a lot but I do enjoy reading the forums immensely, and thank you in advance!
Where do you live? Are you male or female?

i've been keeping a look-book for years and it's quite fun. i have a big scrapbook and whenever i come across a picture or a sketch of an outfit i love i stick it in there. every once in a while i go back and tear out anything that doesn't look so hot to me anymore, so basically what i have is a collection of looks that isn't about trends but rather what really appeals to me at a gut-level and what i know is suited to my body type, etc. so when i go shopping i am much more focused and don't buy things because they look good in the store or because they're popular at the moment, etc. also, it's really neat to have created my own uber-fashion magazine--i'm afraid i treat my scrapbook like a work of art in progress, because even though it's just a bunch of torn-edged paper EVERYTHING in it is gorgeous and makes me happy just to look at.

but i digress...i agree, i think keeping a look-book is an excellent way to figure out, based on the kinds of things you're naturally drawn to in magazines, etc., what pieces you should have in your wardrobe. but it's really just inspiration. don't limit yourself to what you see other people doing....

I have Look Books too, I keep there photographs that I cut from Magazines, Newspapers, Books, etc., and also fashion articles that I read to learn from the basics, and pictures that maybe are not fashion related but from which I take my inspiration from, like flowers, buildings, etc.

I also suggest you to go to flea markets, that´s the place to find designer pieces if you are on a budget (like myself). I remember I used to look for designer pieces not only to wear them, but to feel the quality of the fabrics and appreciate the cuts.
I used to buy used shoes and handbags because I preferred used quality to new crap :lol: that was could I have afforded back then.

There, you can also buy clothes buy the bulk, in different colors and styles you have in mind, and try it back home to see what looks best and what you like.

why does the topic say-wimper wimper and then wink?

what's up with the wink...is someone just having a laugh with this question?.... :huh:

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 17th, 2004 - 6:44 pm
why does the topic say-wimper wimper and then wink?

what's up with the wink...is someone just having a laugh with this question?.... :huh:
hahahah ok so perhaps ive confused you i merely meant please help whimper as in a puppy whimpers like as in helpless ..sorry it caused confusion :doh:

oh and faust i am female..and i live in minnesota

well then...tealady gave an amazing suggestion ...i kept a looseleaf notebook with acetate sleeves, so i would just slide the tears into the sleeves and made my own book...then i would keep related things together...the looseleaf if great because you can re-arrange and move pages around...you can create sections for different moods..or different styles or different colors or themes...it's really fun actually...i still tears things out that inspire me...you can even include album covers, art, architecture...whatever you love...

another thing is creating your own inspiration board for yourself...you can create a collage in your closet, on the door, near/around a mirror...you can pull hairstyles, make-up, outfits, shoes, bags, special pieces...these will help inspire you as you are dressing...

one of my professors at FIT had us make a list of things you love...could be anything... a tv show, a movie, cartoons, riding horses, lace, red hair, boots...whatever makes your heart beat faster... :heart: that was a pretty cool thing... i still have mine somewhere...

have fun...explore...

:flower:

I saw an ad for the Canon digital photo printer and I thought it was very clever and helpful. As you take the above suggestions ^^^^^ and start buying your pieces of clothing, what you can do is take a picture of them and print them out on wallet size paper. Then you can go through each piece and do mix and match exercises whenever you are bored or whenever you want to create a look from your scrapbook. This way you can easily visualize the look without pulling every single piece out of your closet. You can plan ahead and stick the "outfits" you created on a corkboard and not think "what do I wear" for the week. I hope this helps :flower:

you all have been amazingly helpful :flower:

anyone want to post a picture of their lookbook?

I started a look book also... it's great because after a while you really do start to see what your style is; at least what you would like it to be. I got that InStyle "secrets of style" book and thought that was also a great place to start thinking about the basics of fit and what's most flattering for different body types. One last thing pointup, I live in the Midwest too, and one lucky thing there is we don't have to be right on the "cutting edge" to be fashionable; meaning what may be played out in LA and NY will still seem stylish for a while here. Takes some of the pressure off. :wink:

Where you shop is probably a good insight into your style. There's got to be some element in that store window you're drawn to. For example,

Ann Taylor=tailored,timeless, classic styles
Banana Republic = classic with a modern twist
A&F = rugged yet sexy, Dawson's Creek-ish style
Arden B = sexy, cutting edge, trendy

Originally posted by fashionflower@Mar 21st, 2004 - 6:06 pm
One last thing pointup, I live in the Midwest too, and one lucky thing there is we don't have to be right on the "cutting edge" to be fashionable; meaning what may be played out in LA and NY will still seem stylish for a while here. Takes some of the pressure off. :wink:
:flower: :heart:
ha, you are totally right. not one person here has caught on to the ugg trend yet.. i could probably wear them next year and be cutting edge :lol: in fact I am the first person in my school to wear a side part regularly and to have pointy shoes. :innocent: I consider myself slow, but thankfully everyone else is 10328298740190x slower

Originally posted by pointup+Mar 21st, 2004 - 9:16 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pointup @ Mar 21st, 2004 - 9:16 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-fashionflower@Mar 21st, 2004 - 6:06 pm
One last thing pointup, I live in the Midwest too, and one lucky thing there is we don't have to be right on the "cutting edge" to be fashionable; meaning what may be played out in LA and NY will still seem stylish for a while here. Takes some of the pressure off. :wink:
ha, you are totally right. not one person here has caught on to the ugg trend yet.. i could probably wear them next year and be cutting edge :lol: in fact I am the first person in my school to wear a side part regularly and to have pointy shoes. :innocent: I consider myself slow, but thankfully everyone else is 10328298740190x slower [/b][/quote]
I definitly agree! No one around here wears Uggs yet, though most people are very fashionable and stylish. Maybe they just find them as ugly as I do!

About the lookbook, has anyone ever seen the episode of Sex & The City where they talk about things they do that they would never let another person know about? Well that's what my lookbook is to me! It's my secret indulgence. Wow, and here I thought I was the only one! :lol: :innocent:

Originally posted by MurakamiPrincess+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:59 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MurakamiPrincess @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:59 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by pointup@Mar 21st, 2004 - 9:16 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-fashionflower
@Mar 21st, 2004 - 6:06 pm
One last thing pointup, I live in the Midwest too, and one lucky thing there is we don't have to be right on the "cutting edge" to be fashionable; meaning what may be played out in LA and NY will still seem stylish for a while here. Takes some of the pressure off.  :wink:

ha, you are totally right. not one person here has caught on to the ugg trend yet.. i could probably wear them next year and be cutting edge :lol: in fact I am the first person in my school to wear a side part regularly and to have pointy shoes. :innocent: I consider myself slow, but thankfully everyone else is 10328298740190x slower
I definitly agree! No one around here wears Uggs yet, though most people are very fashionable and stylish. Maybe they just find them as ugly as I do!

About the lookbook, has anyone ever seen the episode of Sex & The City where they talk about things they do that they would never let another person know about? Well that's what my lookbook is to me! It's my secret indulgence. Wow, and here I thought I was the only one! :lol: :innocent: [/b][/quote]
God, same here. Actually, where I live, everyone is disgustingly slow on fashion and I've slowly become somewhat of a "fashion educatior" at my school. I bought my Ugg boots in November and remain the only person around that wears them. Then there's the Murakami whichstill hasn't caught on nor can many pronounce "Louis Vutton." Sorry, it's off-topic but I had to release my agitations of Minnesota.

Originally posted by MurakamiPrincess+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:59 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MurakamiPrincess @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:59 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by pointup@Mar 21st, 2004 - 9:16 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-fashionflower
@Mar 21st, 2004 - 6:06 pm
One last thing pointup, I live in the Midwest too, and one lucky thing there is we don't have to be right on the "cutting edge" to be fashionable; meaning what may be played out in LA and NY will still seem stylish for a while here. Takes some of the pressure off.  :wink:

About the lookbook, has anyone ever seen the episode of Sex & The City where they talk about things they do that they would never let another person know about? Well that's what my lookbook is to me! It's my secret indulgence. Wow, and here I thought I was the only one! :lol: :innocent: [/b][/quote]
Yeah I don't love Uggs. No one around here wears them either.

I can completely relate to you. Up until last year I had sort of a secret identity. On the internet, I was this teen fashionista who gave fashion advice to lots of teens (through a fashion website I write for), but at my small-town school I just wore what my friends wore. By looking through my fashion magazines, I slowly formed opinions on what I liked and why I liked it, then started adding more fashion-forward accessories and shoes to my wardrobe of classics. I think to have a great style, it's important to know yourself and your limits and your likes. Never wear something to blend in and never be afraid to wear something to stand out -- but more importantly, only wear what you truly love.

I've kind of drifted off topic though. 1. Figure out what you love. 2. Start by adding accessories. 3. Slowly add hipper pieces to mix with you basics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->