How to put together outfits

Lily_k

Reaction score
I've been trying to experiment with and develop my personal style lately - up to now I've just worn basics, ex: tee and jeans, lots of black and "safe" colors, etc.

I've been browsing the web and this board, and everyone seems to come up with very cool ways to put outfits together. I feel kinda bad because I'm not really sure how to do that and make it look good. I've wanted to experiment with layering but I also don't want it to go horribly wrong.

Can anyone give me some tips? -lol- I guess there isn't a formula or anything about how to layer or put pieces together, but I really hope some of you have some advice for me :flower:

~thankyou!!

I like things like these, but I don't want to just copy them, I want to learn how to mix and match kind of like this and express my own personality through my clothes :flower:

Attachments

• 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 7
  • iwsfa.jpg
    iwsfa.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 42f.jpg
    42f.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 5
And these.. ok I will stop :P

Attachments

• 10f.jpg
    10f.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 4
  • huiy889.jpg
    huiy889.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3
  • is_10753809.jpg
    is_10753809.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 51751121.jpg
    51751121.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 6
This was my last attempt to put an outfit together, can anyone critique it/suggest anything? thanks :D

Attachments

• mar-13.JPG
    mar-13.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 6
I like the last outfit you posted! While I am by no means an expert, I have found that the more you experiment, the better you'll get at putting outfits together. Maybe try something new each week or spend a day trying to put together things you already own in a new way.

A great way to maximize your wardrobe is to add accessories. There are alot of great belts right now. Maybe chunky bangles or a long necklace?

As for finding your own style, I think mine evolves every few years. I have a nice work wardrobe but don't have to dress up as much as I used to, so I can concentrate on more *fun* items. I don't go out very much, maybe to dinner 2x a week with my husband, so I like to have a nice rotation of cute tops to wear with jeans (boring, but works for me).

Again, like I said, I'm no expert, but this is what's worked for me. Hope it helps a little:flower:

Lily, i like that outfit. I think putting together outfits is up to your eye, if you think it looks good together, try it. I've had stuff that's been hiding in my closet for years, but I only recently figured out to wear.

i agree with shannon about experimenting with what you have...trying out color combos and new proportions...for instance, adding a belt to the wrapped shirt you posted creates a new look. i am constantly going back to random articles of clothing stashed away and trying to incorporate them in a refreshing way. also browsing the cheaper shops/ thrift/ antique develops a greater eye--also it more fun...$$ isn't everything!

Very cute Lily.:flower: The best way to put together an outift is to experiment and try different things. I also will try something that makes no sense and alot of the time that looks way better than what I thought would look good.:blink: Play with the shoes cause they can drastically change the look of an outfit. Like with the outfit you have chosen if you change the shoe and put flats with it, the outfit looks completely different. You never know until you try, you will figure out your own personal style in no time. I personally like to change accessories, changing belts adding scarfs and bracelets etc.. Have fun with it, the most important thing is confidence. I see alot of things that look like a mess but people love it because the person wearing it looks so comfortable in it, ya know:wink:

thanks so much guys!!!! this is great advice, I'll definitely try all of it. I'm especially going to go find some thrift stores for accessories and maybe buy a couple of cool shoes - red or turqouise of something to liven up my wardrobe :D and belt - again thankyou so much, I really will experiment like you guys said :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->