How to style for a movie

heyitsme

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place for this topic, but it seemed like the best option.

I've been asked to do the wardrobe/styling for an independent film. I've never done this so I'm a bit unsure of how to do it exactly. I've always been good with styling and clothes, but I've never done it for film.

Are there any rules one should follow when styling? Are there certain colors and patterns to avoid?

Thanks for any insight.

avoid as much white as you can, its shows way too much on camera, especially with lighting pointed at it.

PM me and i'll give you a full list.

I know that there's a big issue about continuity .... you must track exactly what everyone is wearing in each scene and exactly how they are wearing it. For example, how many buttons are buttoned, if the sleeves are pushed up, if there is a wrinkle or two on the wardrobe, if there is dirt, etc. Scenes are filmed out or order, so the wardrobe person /costumer must take polaroids every day and make sure that it always matches. Pretty complex ... to make it all work when things are being filmed in little chunks ... and then maybe not again for days or weeks. The pics provide a record so you know exactly how your actors must look when it it picked up again.

I also know that in many cases there has to be more than one set of clothes for the prinicipal actors ... just in case something gets damaged ... so you have a back up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->