Interview June / July 2011 : Alexander Skarsgård by Steven Klein

It's a cool cover, but the steven klein aesthetic is quite the same all the time... boring.

Perhaps I'm alone in my disdain for this cover, I just don't understand it...

I've looked at it repeatedly and all I see are a bunch of photoshop filters and a very confused looking man surrounded by bad fonts.

The editorial looks like it could have been interesting, but it needed more Crystal and less of whatever substance Mr. Skarsgård is slicked up with.

He is my "celebrity" crush, hottest man around by a mile, but Gosh hate this with passion.

Way too much photoshop, filters, the works.Simply bad.

Is this THE Crystal Renn??? I guess the evangelisation over her figure is over then.:lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

I've looked at it repeatedly and all I see are a bunch of photoshop filters and a very confused looking man surrounded by bad fonts.

The editorial looks like it could have been interesting, but it needed more Crystal and less of whatever substance Mr. Skarsgård is slicked up with.

couldn't agree more. there's too much going on..

Oh, was this supposed to be sexy? I certainly hope not, because it's anything but. Alexander is a good looking guy and I actually kind of like Crystal, but this is just...... No. It looks like it was shot in the style of old-fashioned 3D, with the red and blue.

ugh

Quite a disappointing spread. I still love him nonetheless.

I disagree that this ed needed more Crystal and less Alex. That wouldn't make sense whatsoever. It just needed more substance. Not more of Crystal, this isn't about her.

I disagree that this ed needed more Crystal and less Alex. That wouldn't make sense whatsoever. It just needed more substance. Not more of Crystal, this isn't about her.

When I say it needed more Crystal, I don't mean it needed to turn into a Crystal story. Clearly the subject of the cover and editorial is Alex, that said Klein does little to connect the images or create a storyline. Why is Crystal there? Why is Alex holding a baseball bat, what is the significance of the glove that appears in every other shot? None of these questions are answered - not that they need to be, but usually Klein's work contains some element of a narrative, this seems incomplete, almost as though there were shots missing. I would agree that there needs to be some substance here, I think they could have created something very sexy with these images. Klein's work can be provocative, but it can also create a definite mood and emotional resonance that I think this set lacks.

And I say this as a big fan of Klein. As an editorial this doesn't work for me, even as a sort of puff piece portrait of a celebrity it doesn't work for me.

REVIEW

Alex
Photo: Steven Klein
Stylist: Karl Templer
Actor: Alexander Skarsgard

Wiz
Photo: Miakel Jansson
Singer: Wiz Khalifa

Heaven Snake
Photo: Craig McDean
Model: Zuzanna Bijoch

Imogen Poots
Photo: Craig McDean
Actor: Imogen Poots

Ricardo Tisci
Photo: Steven Klein
Stylist: Ludivine Poiblanc
Models: Guinevere Van Seenus & Saskia De Brauw

The New Look
Photo: Fabien Baron
Model: Tomek Szczukiecki

hmsdj.jpg

Marcelo Burlon's Facebook

^Wow! It looks like it's gonna be one raw editorial. ^_^ Can't wait to see Guinevere's shots! Never mind Saskia. :D Can't wait to see both Heaven Snake and The New Look as well. Thanks for the review kevinnn! :flower:

PS: Glad they didn't change the font inside! :clap:

Thanks kevinn. I'm glad we are getting reviews of the issues nowadays instead of having the features trickle slowly out over the Net. Work @ Wiz being in this issue TBH :lol:...Heaven Snake sounds like it will be an excellent editorial too (Zuzanna is hella boring but I'm expecting loads of Prada). Such a shame that Saskia had to be all up in here though ughhh.

^Heaven Snake is posted on models.com, and yes, it is mainly Prada.

All I can say is the styling saved the editorial. Karl Templar did a phenomenal job, but the whole ed is wasted on Zuzana. She ruined it for me. She's lackluster and stale in it.

HEAVEN SNAKE
MODEL: ZUZANNA BIJOCH
PHOTOGRAPHER: CRAIG MCDEAN
STYLIST: KARL TEMPLER

IMOGEN POOTS
PHOTOGRAPHER: CRAIG MCDEAN

WIZ
WIZ KHALIFA
PHOTOGRAPHER: MIKAEL JANSSON

streeters.com

The font on the cover hasn't changed BTW...I think a mock-up leaked initially. :flower:

this issue is good, excited to see Tomek Szczukiecki's editorial.

Love Zuzanna's ed, can't wait for Ricardo's.

Has anyone else yet to receive the May issue or do I need to send them more "missing issues" emails?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->