Is the big glasses trend over - when is a trend over ?

jaseface

Reaction score
In today's NYtimes, http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/23/fashion/thursdaystyles/23SUN.html?

The trend was already on its way to its demise, but now that a NYtimes article highlights it, I think it's pretty safe to say that the big glasses thing is pretty over. Or is it? The article states that now that everyone's doing it, Mary-Kate and Ashley will probably ditch their big glasses and go for something new. Does that signify the death of the trend? Or is it just beginning, now that the masses have caught on? Who determines what is trendy and what is so over? Is the idea of a trend just a societal construct that only encourages conformity?

To me, mass awareness = death of trendiness, beginning of trend. The quality of trendiness suggests being in the know about something, catching on before anyone else does. Which is kind of funny because the word that it's derived from, trend, to me just symbolizes something that is way tired and played out. I know the two ideas are linked, but I see them as almost contradictory. Hope that made some semblance of sense. Thoughts?

This trend has been aroudn fro so long, it's only now that it's becoming widly worn, so I guess it's 'over'.

I consider the death of a trend when it hits Forever 21, Claire's etc. That's like the graveyard for trends...no wait, the real graveyard is the SALE RACK of Forever 21!

I think the death of a trend starts when you notice it not in the shops but on the streets.

jaseface said:
Which is kind of funny because the word that it's derived from, trend, to me just symbolizes something that is way tired and played out.

I think "trend" more or less equals "tendency". A trend comes before fashion.

It's just a word which is misused to represent "fashionable", and the original meaning of "trend" really has changed. So I think you're right...

I don't think it's quite over yet , Peeps . :wink:

There's a ' new ' UK venture that lives on this trend and is doing VERY nicely , thank you !!! ^_^

http://www.lindafarrowvintage.com/

There's a pair for men that's in British GQ this month ......... BUT I cannot afford them . :cry:

Look around , Folks . :rolleyes:

MUCH to be enjoyed .................:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
my two euro cents
*for trend 'leaders' something is 'dead' when it hits socialites, 'highstreet' , street stand and/or mainstrem Press status
*for trend 'followers' a trend starts exactly when all the above happen.. watch out for girls throwing away their graded, coloured rimless aviators for oversized black shades :D

its all a matter on which side of trends one puts him/herself :wink:

thanks for the link and the topic jaseface and welcome to tFS :flower:

I've always hated those big glasses. I never got their appeal, and they never grew on me at all.

AlexN said:
I've always hated those big glasses. I never got their appeal, and they never grew on me at all.

I've got a pair of black metal aviators , ( original Porsche Design - when they were made by Carrera of Austria ) , which I still think do things for me , like practically covering the whole of my face .:blink:

NOT a little advantage , when it comes to my good self . :cry:

I wear my big glasses with pride in the middle of the boonies. I have several years for *I* have to worry, folks!

Those have been big on the runway for a long time but they never really caught on in irl

Aaah..not to worry, big sunglasses are not all over the streets yet in Singapore.

For me, a trend truly dies when it hits the high street stores, not so much as because it would be worn by the masses, but because that means the chances of seeing it badly worn increases exponentionally.
Nothing like a badly-executed trend to put me off it. :ninja:

The irony is that "trendy" is used to denote someone who is fashion-forward, but it is only when a lot of people have caught on to it then something will become a trend.

Better to be stylish than trendy :smile:

when something is 'edgy' or *new*...it is not called a trend..

as lena points out...
it's is exactly when it reaches the masses that it beomes a full fledged 'trend'...
trendsetters are the people who wear it first and ditch it once it becomes too popular...

they are 'ahead of the game'...
we have a lot of 'trendsetters' here at tFS...

:flower:

chiangsi1980 said:
For me, a trend truly dies when it hits the high street stores, not so much as because it would be worn by the masses, but because that means the chances of seeing it badly worn increases exponentionally.
Nothing like a badly-executed trend to put me off it. :ninja:

Better to be stylish than trendy :smile:

on the point Chiangsi :flower:

agreed on tFS trendsetters Softie and you sure are one of them :wink:

I wore them for a shirt period last year then realised i didnt like the bug eyed look !! :( I have a small face so they looked odd on me.
Ok this month you can get your trendy big sunglasses free with tatler lol, ok so now they are giving them away thats a trend to far i thinks ....

tiamaria said:
Ok this month you can get your trendy big sunglasses free with tatler lol, ok so now they are giving them away thats a trend to far i thinks ....

:blink: ok, now i know my gut feeling for not wearing mine (but once, the day i bought them) was right.. thanks for bringing the tatler bit in tiamaria :wink:

They are also simular ones free with a magazine in the uk called sugar.. a pre teen mag aimed at 11 and 12 year olds. I forgot to mention this first time sorry :flower:

big glasses have been around for ages...to me, they are absolutely classic. I think it depends how you wear them too...I wear aviators, however mine are my dads (he's a pilot), they are oversized, and by Serangetti (the only brand my dad will wear for real aviators)...to me, that makes a difference. It's all about how you make it your own

i love those big ole glasses. i wish i had huge spectacles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->