Instantly Passé Trend

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by Lena, Dec 13, 2003.

View Users: View Users
  1. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

its a new fashion/trend phenomenon, big enough to be included at the 2003 year-that-was issue of NYT magazine; here the article

[​IMG]

what do you think on this?

2. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Thanks, Lena! :flower:

I think don't follow trends made by main stream Celebs - or all Celebs at all. :)

3. Jaim45

Jaim45 New Member

Good article - I agree w/ it

4. Kimkhuu

Kimkhuu New Member

Interesting article Lena!

LOL. I agree with most things said. That's why when buying clothes, I often spend time thinking "is the trend over yet or will it soon be over". That's why I always end up with "classic" stuff. ;)

5. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Thank heavens,I loathe hype and trends because this look completely passed me by :lol:

6. Christopher31

Christopher31 New Member

I totally agree with that article,.... for example yesterday i went to nordstom and the whole men's department is filled with old fashions that are supposedly hot still. I thought to myself, when is this gonna end... and it kinda made me sick. I try to avoid trends, but now it seems like you can't.

7. Selfridgesworker

Selfridgesworker New Member

I dont really follow trends, My philosophy is "If you like it, wear it".

I'd rather not be a sheep and do as everyone else does.

Not meaning to offend anyone but thats just my opinion.

8. LolitaLuxe

LolitaLuxe Vision of Paradise

havnt we all here at tfs been wanting the trucker hat to die sinse like, 1-2 years ago?

come on now....die already. i mean last year 11 yr old boys in nyc were wearing them . :innocent: over it..... :wacko: actually i dont see them anymore.

but if they like it, then cool :flower:

9. smashinfashion

smashinfashion New Member

if they're hype-ing it in stores, it was basically over a long time ago.

10. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

people only leik it if it gets hyped, it brainless, killt he trends, kills teh hype creat your own trends.

11. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Who in the world would want to pattern their style after some grubby truck driver anyway? :sick: :yuk:

But people will fall for anything just for the sake of trendiness. Suckers.

12. Acid

Acid yes

we're learning about this at school at the moment

micro trends etc
    and recycling back to the cutting edge

13. Honey

Honey New Member

I figure that by the time the trends make it to the places I shop (due to finances) they are well over :lol:

I stick with classics. That way when something looks wonderful on me, and I really love it, I can wear it as long as I wish :D

14. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous Active Member

Kind of like how Gadzook's is now selling Von Dutch? :sick:
    Gadzooks is :sick: all around.

15. iheartmj

iheartmj New Member

Getting off the subject of trucker hats..do you believe that ugg boots are just a trend? I personally wear them for the comfort and the fact that they're great in snow conditions but I recently tried purchasing a pair for my sister and you can't find them anywhere. There seems to be a back order until April 2004. I checked on ebay and people are selling them for around 300-400 a pair. Its funny because I bought mine 2 years ago and use to wear them with everything in the winter and people use to make fun of me, but now everyone's going crazy for them. :huh:

16. beki

beki New Member

i think very few people look good in trucker hats as a fashion item, i think if someone is genuinely working a skate look it can happen but otherwise no it is far too contrived,
    im not a fan of ugg boots but there seems to be an abundance of them in the uk, altough to be honest as we dont realy get that much heavy snowfall, then the practicalty value isnt really there, when it is snowy i just tend to wear low heeled leather boots, which i waterproofed.
    celebrity "fashion" tends to bore me. i dont spend my time on the red carpet, i go to dark basement clubs and seek out new and interesting things, that is one reason i dislike magazines like elle and vogue (with the exception of italian vogue which i love) they seem to minded towards what soi dissant celebrities are doing, and whan vogue uk tried to go all arty on us possibly in may i think it looked to me like a desperate attempt at name dropping that went badly wrong.

17. oanadobre

oanadobre New Member

Why would anyone wear trucker hats, anyway? Or any psychedelic trend such as this, for that matter?

18. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

Toronto Star

19. faust

faust New Member

I'll beleive it when I see it. I think he's just trying to attract attention, that's all. These people will blurb anything, because if they are wrong - noone will remember it, and if they are right - they'll trumpet it all over when the time comes.

20. helena

helena Swim Upstream

I would love to see the 'end of the trend' but surely its human nature to (a) get bored and want something new; and (B) copy each other. Thats the basis of a trend. Thats why designers try & come up with new ones. Don't think it will happen unless we all become suddenly content with what we have & happy to be individualistic. Personally I keep up with the trends to an extent I suppose - its difficult not to when you are seduced by amazing advertising every new season.