Japanese Designers

great recent suggestions. ill have to look them up as japanese streetwear will always be superior to any western luxury brands trying to do street.

going to @ the members that gave great suggestions in a recent Margaret Howell thread (@Kennnnn @vetements @dancv )… because they seem to know quite a bit about small Japanese labels.

I also need to explore more.. I really wanted one of Daisuke Obana‘s pieces for Labo the other day because the texture was so lovely but as mentioned in that MH thread, their sizing is crazy, I love baggy clothes but this enters ‘fresh out of the psych ward territory’, even their xs is gigantic.

I must say, I have grown quite fond of Limi Yamamoto's collection, Limi Feu - When you look at it more as a brand for separate pieces to buy from than a total look fashion proposal, you can find pretty good pieces for everyday wearling from her!

Her pattern cutting is also quite different from her famous dad - More conceived around geometric shapes and with an end result that has a feminine ease that's distinctly her own.

going to @ the members that gave great suggestions in a recent Margaret Howell thread (@Kennnnn @vetements @dancv )… because they seem to know quite a bit about small Japanese labels.

I also need to explore more.. I really wanted one of Daisuke Obana‘s pieces for Labo the other day because the texture was so lovely but as mentioned in that MH thread, their sizing is crazy, I love baggy clothes but this enters ‘fresh out of the psych ward territory’, even their xs is gigantic.
Hi @MulletProof - I don't know if Muji resizes things for the US and Europe.

An XS in Japan is really small! Labo's standard fit is quite oversized to begin with. An XS would fit a more petite female, without being "fashion forward" (if this makes sense). An S would verge on Hed Mayner territory, and an M would probably just look ridiculous. For the average sized Japanese male, and M would look fine, while an L would give the true sort of N.Hoolywood proportion. An XL would look very Yohji, I think.

I think they actually rationalised the sizing for Labo a few seasons ago. They used to only do things in ranges, e.g., XS-S, S-M, L-XL; and it made absolutely zero sense, to me at least.

^ they do resize things for the American market but in outrageous ways.. for a company that only has branches in NY, you'd think they go to Jacksonville to get their ideas on average sizes. The top I tried on was so lightweight, a gorgeous shade of brown and with a hard texture and I was so sure I could make it work no matter how oversized 😆 but besides the sleeves giving mental hospital (once your arms look like hanging threads? hell nah lol), it is seriously the type of thing that on a windy day, will fly out of your body so I just left it.

.. then I proceeded to try some of their shoes on and guess what, somehow that's not something they resize, it's still all Japanese sizing so I can't fit into them either cause.. 10 🤡.

Also, unrelated but there was this incredibly annoying woman behind me laughing at the shoes like 'what is this store? I guess it's all from China? and I guess all of these shoes are all Vans and converse knockoffs, bet the quality is amazing...'.. I was like bitch... they are actually knockoffs.. of DISCONTINUED WINE-COLORED SPALWART'S SPECIALS! (someone please say '29 dollars!')

I went to look on the muji japan website and found 2 images. The female model is 174cm tall (maybe 5'8"?) And the male model is 184cm tall (maybe 6'). They are both wearing tops in size L. (Screenshots from muji.jp)

As an aside, the top on the female is really quite chic. I should go get it this weekend!

Screenshot_20240705_135720_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20240705_135704_Brave.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
insearchofpastissues
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->