John Galliano S/S 2011 Paris

I never was particularly attached to this collection, however, upon viewing it now, the clothes are rather good.

I think this was a collection that really could have benefitted from a different production. The location, the lighting, the styling, the hair and makeup, even the casting is not quite right. It’s all detracting from the clothes - and there are times where the big John fantasy ADDS so much. But it would have been nicer to have seen these clothes shown in a bit more of a contemporary or unexpected setting here with more relaxed hair and makeup.

the clothes are brilliant, but such is (almost) always the case with john. but in the context of his entire career this collection is definitely more of an afterthought. not the most memorable in his catalogue, and he's run the gamut with the whole 20s van dongen muse in much more accomplished ways both before and after this. the mise-en-scène (hats, hair, music and makeup included) also make this feel less contemporary, which is a shame because the clothes are cut so wickedly well.

It's a beautiful Bill Gaytten collection. Considering Galliano's condition at that time I refuse to believe he had anything to do with it aside from taking a bow at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->