Kitschiness

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Over the years I've noticed the abundance of 'child's play' in fashion. Particularly,with indie designers. Along with homemade details,story lines from German folklore and a play with famous cartoon charcters such as Bambi and Donald Duck, it seems like its as optimistic as one can possibly achieve nowadays.

I think I've fallen prey to this and frankly I feel I've dicovered my truest sense of style and personality through it.

Catholic kitch is also hot...I'm not sure that as a straight man I would like to attempt fairytale kitch :unsure: I could dress up as the hansome prince I suppose...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 9th, 2003 - 5:46 pm
Catholic kitch is also hot...I'm not sure that as a straight man I would like to attempt fairytale kitch :unsure: I could dress up as the hansome prince I suppose...
:lol: heh that reminds of that website "peter pan fashion pages." i wish i had the link somewhere.. its this guy with a weird bowl haircut that dresses up in spandex fairytale costumes and leaps around..dont ask me why ive seen this..

but yes scott i agree. i think that stuff echoes back to happier, simpler times that we can all associate with. almost a bit freudian in nature.

Its such an incredible reaction to all the superioric nonsense filtering its way even into avant-garde. Wealth,status,pretentiousness(which some may not believe is even associated with AG but is in full force) etc etc etc.

I'm loving every bit of it.

Prince,Little Red Riding Hood of Berlin may change your mind. They work with twisted variations of the traditional story(hence the name) for both men and women. Kind of costume-y in detail and some shapes, but extremely wearable however.

I think I've been praising their work non-stop since I discovered them in the summer

Take a look:

http://www.littleredridinghood.de

Oh my i lvoe fairy tales and Childishnes so much, its so much me so much my style. im so happy that deisgenrs are doing this its so beautiful to me.

:heart:

Love the definition given by Wiki for it. :lol:

Kitsch (/kɪtʃ/) is the German and Yiddish word denoting art that is considered an inferior, tasteless copy of an extant style of art or a worthless imitation of art of recognized value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagined Kitsch to mean folk-sy at the same time, but I guess not. :ermm:

Is Kitsch just an idea rather than a style?

kitsch as the way I (and others I believe) would use it would be folksy, over the top, kind of cheesy style stuff. It's often, imo, a bit nostalgic. For example, I have a great Cath Kidston shirt that has a print of cowboys and chuckwagons on it and I would describe that as 'kitschy'. It's nostalgic, it's over the top, but it's a bit fun. i think a lot of heavily printed stuff (depending on the print of course) would be described as kitschy.

i don't think kitsch definitely has to have connotations of folksy, although a lot of folksy stuff might be kitsch. to me it means stuff that is appealing precisely because it is terrible and over-the-top. it's a sort of humour. it's similar to camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->