Boys And The Hoodie

actually...

the 20 somethings around town have begun wearing hoodies A LOT...
it's a full fledged FASHION TREND...
not criminal behaviour....

along with the 80's style 'hipster'...
another trend that has developed, is the knits and fleece trend...
lots of hooded knit tunics and dresses for girls...
and over-sized hooded sweatshirts for guys...
it's sort of designer hiphop...i guess...:unsure:

alexander mcqueen has an embellished hooded SWEATSHIRT!!...
for $800..!!!...

and i know someone who owns it...:shock:...:ninja:
he's about 27 yr old...
he also has every conceivable style and colour of sneaker you could imagine...
to some it might just be jeans/sweatchirt/sneakers...
but in this crowd they are very serious about the details...

i'm still learning about this whole 'subculture'...
but i find it FASCINATING...
it is definitely a 'generational' thing...
but it is pervasive amongst a certain crowd in nyc...

:ninja:...

*they all seeem to like to alternate between wearing the hood up and wearing it down...
back incthe 80's...
you would NEVER put the hood up...
it was basically the most 'uncool' thing you could do...
so if you wanted to annoy someone...you'd pull up their hood...
of course...we also used to style(sometimes spike) our hair and use mousse and gel...
so we wouldn't want to mess with the 'do...:wink:
:lol:...

Last edited by a moderator:
but in this crowd they are very serious about the details...

You can buy whole books of pictures of customised and rare trainers. I mean really big thick, Codexus Sneakeris style books. It's madness. Quite fascinating I guess...

On my street in Stockholm, there's a sneaker store with all these limited edition, japanes import, vintage, whatever sneakers...

I can understand the idea, but it does nothing for me... I don't wear trainers unless I'm excersising...

Speaking of hoodies, anyone has an idea where I can find something similar to this (for women or unisex:(

5495_01.jpg

(this is taken from the American Apperel website)

PrinceOfCats said:
IWealth is a monopoly and the nature of monopoly is to create 'barriers to entry', economics thinks of these as patents, copyright, sunk costs - however 'correct English', 'good manners', a decent childhood etc are just as much a 'barriers to entry'... It doesn't take a genius to work out that people do not earn money in any non-Capitalist country ie any country.

i'm amazed that the discussion has gotten this far without any mention of race. racism. the foundation upon which the wealth of the empires and the new world, most especially that of north america, was created.

the elephant in the living room. the fly in the buttermilk. the ultimate barrier to entry.

the african americans. inspirers of the phenomenon you call 'chav.' inspiration of so many daily maligned here on the fashion spot. those rap-inventing down-trodden heroes who brought you the dreaded - hoodie. :ninja:

Kimkhuu said:
Speaking of hoodies, anyone has an idea where I can find something similar to this (for women or unisex:(

5495_01.jpg

(this is taken from the American Apperel website)

American Apparel, they sell women's versions of the above picture. Unless you mean not them, I dunno lol.

i certainly see more on the 'hoodie' situation than just a fashion trend..
but i guess the socio/economic side of hood-sporting is much more evident in EU than in USA.. hoods are getting subconsiously political fast over here, its more a statement than a 'trend'.

please note, as far as i know.. in EU, hood inspiration comes more from the skaters cult/lifestyle than the R&B/rapper pose

i love hoodies, i wear mine under my chanel jacket

but seriously, some people here look like gangsters in their rediculous clothing...
go to www.chavskum.com and you will soon seen the vile, poor, ill-mattered, ill-educated, ill-classed people who ruin it for the rest of us
these people are mostly council estate families of which a lot cause crime and damage on the streets

Welsh school bans hoodies

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Debbie Andalo
Saturday June 4, 2005

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Another secondary school has banned pupils from wearing hoodies when they return to the classroom on Monday after the half-term holiday.

Anne Carhart, headteacher at Maesteg comprehensive school in Bridgend, Wales, sent a letter home to parents explaining the decision before children broke up for the holidays.

The 1,113-pupil mixed comprehensive is the latest secondary school to ban the hoodie following the lead of the shopping centre Bluewater in Kent in May.

Last month, it was reported that three schools in Birmingham had also banned pupils from wearing hoodies and baseball caps on school premises.

Yesterday, Bridgend county borough council, which runs Maesteg comprehensive, confirmed that the hoodies had been banned from Monday.

A spokesman said: "In the newsletter the headteacher sent home before the holiday, she said she didn't want people to wear hoodies any more.

"My understanding is that the decision was more to do with uniform standards then anything to do with 'hoodie crime'.

"From our point of view schools are responsible for their own uniform policy so it isn't something we would regulate."

The decision comes two weeks after reports that three schools in Birmingham, where Sir Dexter Hutt is executive headteacher, had banned hoodies and baseball caps from being worn on school premises. The same schools, it was reported, had also brought in "isolation rooms" for badly behaved pupils. Yesterday the headteacher at Maesteg was unavailable for comment as she was still on holiday and out of the country.

[/font]
[/font]
[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]

[/font]

:blibk: ridiculous, this is fascism.. hope it doesnt spread to other EU countries..

imagine, a hood ban issue on the EU constitution

*thanks for bringing this report in screenage :flower:

ridiculous, this is fascism

It's just a comment in the school newsletter reminding parents of the uniform. If, as the journalist seems to take it, 'banning' hoodies is just not including them in the school uniform then most schools in Britain have 'banned' hoodies since compulsory schooling was introduced.

^I think the uniform thing is more about looking smart and well-presented.

I wear a hoodie to school, and I know many others that do. You are correct PrinceOfCats in saying that it is not regulation school uniform, but the tendency is to utilise the hoodie as a "survetement" so-to-speak. And no problem about sharing the article Lena:smile:, I realise this really is goign off on a tangent but I'll ask anyway,

What were your thoughts on the treaty on the EU Constitution. What did you vote, or what would you have voted.

off topic> screenage, we weren't asked to vote in our 'ancient democratic' country.. maybe because they knew what the outcome would be.. if i had a chance i'd vote no, but i'm a great supporter of the european union, its just this constitution which sucks big time.. they need to work more on this..
what about you?

I'm wading my way throught the 219 pages of it to see where I want to stand, if I had been able to vote I would have said NON! better safe than sorry I guess, and I dont' know what it really does. I think alot of the reasons that it has been rejected thus far is to do with xenophobia, people's fear of infringment of sovreignty and things like frances 10% unemployment. Where in #Europe do you live?

To add to this off-topic sojourn I'd note that the US government has been trying to smash any kind of unity in Europe since the 1940s. Most recently, they tried to get Turkey into the EU as their Trojan horse as a favour for support over Iraq. Once in, the US would have used Turkey as their 'man in Europe'. Turkey, bankrolled by US funds and owing the US a favour, would feel obliged to comply.

Europe needs to unite fast before the US sabotages it to increase its own wealth.

Whoever is running the show wants the US united, as the outcome of the Civil War over a century ago demonstrated and big business support for the state continues to demonstrate. And these people really are running the show.

This is a very long-term kind of point I'm making. The principle of democracy is dividing power and by uniting in Europe we hack of another chunk of US power.

So in fashion terms you are saying all the smaller independent houses like Armani, (and Hermes I think) should join up and fight against LVMH, lol, does this analogy have any weight

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nelliewillshowuhowitsdone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->