Lacoste

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by *midnight*golightly*, Jan 17, 2004.

1. i_<3_chanel

i_<3_chanel elementary.

i like lacoste polos in bright colors. :P
    i don't care what people think.

2. pineapple

pineapple New Member

just reminds me of when I wore Oshkosh jeans as a five year old. I hated elastic waistbands. :rolleyes:

#102 pineapple, Jun 23, 2004
    Last edited by moderator : Aug 21, 2005
  3. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

Oh gawd. I had the most horrible pair of hand-me-down electric blue corduroy bellbottoms when I was about 9. This would have been 1986, and nobody wore bellbottoms by then. And they always got caught in my bike chain! That was the last pair of elastic waist pants I have ever had, thank goodness.

#103 As You Like It, Jun 23, 2004
  4. pineapple

pineapple New Member

Down with elastic waistbands!! :nuke: :yuk:

#104 pineapple, Jun 23, 2004
  5. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

6. Detroit

Detroit New Member

I'm 29 now, and I grew up wearing Lacoste shirts. In the early to mid-80's (approx.), through the miracle of licensing (that penomenon that has brought designers such as YSL and tailors such as Gieves & Hawke to their knees), the company "IZOD" began producing all of the "crocodile" shirts for the US.

The Izod products didn't have the quality that the originals had, and towards the end, the designs were really questionable.

I'm glad that Lacoste has made a resurgence. At first, they claimed that the line would only be manufactured in France; however, most of the men's shirts are now being made in Peru, and there is definately a difference in quality. I've noticed that more of the women's items are actually still made in France.

I find a lot of their women's line to be well done and pretty sexy tennis stuff, but the men should probably keep it to the solid color polos. Those zip-up shirts and silky numbers that I see high-school and college guys wearing are IMHO tasteless, and I'm seeing more and more of them.

Although I have quite a few solid Lacostes, I only wear them in navy, white, or sky-blue (I hate to admit it, but I think RL has a better color palate). . . I'm guessing I have but 2 or 3 more months before the mere presence of the croc on my shirt will raise the same eyebrow that the word "Hollister" across my chest might.

7. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Au contraire - Parisienne designers have always relied on licensing to break into the American market. Originally, it bypassed the expensive shipping and tariffs on foreign luxury goods...

I didn't know that Lacoste was now made in Peru though :o This reminds me of when Jaeger swapped to manufacturing in Turkey :sick:

8. banana

banana New Member

Yikes. I got stuck with the horrible 70s hand-me-downs too as a kid because my mom had no money. Well at least we could say that we were wearing vintage before it was the style. Oh wait- it wasn't considered vintage then... just tacky. :lol:

#108 banana, Jun 28, 2004
  9. Detroit

Detroit New Member

I guess I can't begrudge them their profits, but I really hate the diminished quality. I have seen Turkey on a few things (and I'm not talking bathrobes and towels) . . . yikes.

I have a navy "made in france" Lacoste polo shirt that has been washed twice as much as its Peruvian closet-mates, and still looks much much deeper and truer.

While licensing may work for some companies that desparately need to get product into the market-stream cheaply, I believe (nay, "hope") that at the end of the day, this will be a losing proposition that does little more than sacrifice a company's future viability for temporary profits. Look at the money that Lacoste and YSL have had to spend to reinvent themselves to once again become relevant. I'm curious to see if anyone will ever resurrect Pierre Cardin. :wink:

#109 Detroit, Jun 28, 2004
  10. Vuittonista

Vuittonista New Member

When i interviewed for Lacoste last year i found out that Devanly is teh company that is manufacturing the Lacoste shirts now and the shirts sold in the U.S. are the same quality as the ones sold in France. At one point the Lacoste items cost more in Europe do to the better quality of fabric used.

11. falloutboy

falloutboy New Member

what i really dont understand is, i heard some lacoste comes from peru while others from from thailand, what are the differences? are some imitations of some sort?

12. Fruchtzwerg

Fruchtzwerg Active Member

really ??? I never heard of that before.. I thought that it is a British Brand...

13. Odette

Odette New Member

I love Lacoste black polos, I think the new Lacoste piqué stretch is much better than the original Lacoste polo, they certantly look much better on women body

14. vickly

vickly New Member

No, Lacoste is French. Lacoste is the name of a former French tennis player (in the 20s or 30s), whose nickname was the crocodile.

15. Plastic'sWife

Plastic'sWife New Member

I think Lacoste is really nice, but it bothers me that it isnt all made in France and some stuff is made in Peru, etc. so I always make it a point to read the tag.
    That is not cool, I am not willing to pay $95 for a third rate quality polo...

16. vickly

vickly New Member

I agree with you regarding the fact it is done in Peru.
    Regarding quality, I guess that even in Peru the quality is strictly controlled, because the y can't afford to sell bad quality for that price, but it is a pity European textile factories close one after the other and that all brands relocate to South America or Asia.

17. Fruchtzwerg

Fruchtzwerg Active Member

My mom has several polos of Lacoste and I got one as gift , they all made in France.

18. slit skirt

slit skirt New Member

it has to be made in france or it's not Lacoste

19. vickly

vickly New Member

It would be great if all teh polo shirts were made in France.
    But, you know, in the same way for French people, Nike sneakers, Levis jeans, and so on should be made in USA...

20. theremin

theremin New Member

Fred perry is actually revered among skinheads, not neo nazis.