Last Movie You Saw #10

Discussion in 'the Entertainment Spot' started by Thread Manager, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

The quality of this Youtube upload is pristine! And agreed on all points, it's a super stylish production and the storyline kept me intrigued. I'm not usually a Gene Tierney fan maybe because I haven't watched many of her movies. The score also stood out for me. Surprised that I've never heard of it until now. If you have more recommendations, let us know!

Re Hitchcock, rewatched North by Northwest recently and it once again left me in awe. Everything is just perfect. Cary Grant and how he casually crosses his legs in EVERY sitting scene whether he's lounging, making a call, or in his underwear. And those sunglasses are stunning, my God! I normally stop watching when it comes to the Mount Rushmore scene because of my fear of height, so don't ever ask me how it ends, lol. Haven't ever watched Vertigo in full for the same reason, I mean that opening scene where the guy slips from the roof and James dangling is just too graphic??? :shock::wacko:

Rope is another of his chic colour movies. It's very much like a play, but the colours are rich and I particularly liked the homoerotic tension between the Dall and Granger (who were both gay IRL) and that haunting final speech! It's probably one of the best acted classic movies imo.

From his earlier works, I like Rebecca and Suspicion, obviously. But Shadow of Doubt is such a great story above all else. It opens with a really saccharine and picture-perfect view of an American family almost like a John Waters parody and the kids are too cure, but it all made me very tense and mildly sad because I know sh!t would go south pretty soon. Because, sigh, it's a noir.

Phuel and dior_couture1245 like this.
  2. Piet Retief

Piet Retief Active Member

The Invisible Man (2020)
    Incredibly suspenseful movie with an outstanding performance by Elisabeth Moss. I would recommend it to anyone who's a fan of a good thriller movie.

3. xoxoadore

xoxoadore Active Member

Watched The Lighthouse yesterday, still processing.....

(SO unsettling, yet I could not look a way one bit!)

dior_couture1245 likes this.
  4. castorpollux

castorpollux back in black

5. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

Novitiate
    Zabawa w chowanego
    Pope Francis: A Man of His Word

Feeling pious :meow:. I had these three films lined up and I find Catholicism insufferable so I figured I could just watch it all in a row so I don't have to get back to the topic any time soon, so I did and glad I did it in that order. Novitiate centers on the changes in convents under the Second Vatican Council, which I had no idea about.. naturally (why would they teach that while simultaneously teaching us to feel sorry for anyone that's not a Catholic..) so I learned quite a few things in addition to that.. such as why my grandaunt who lived in a convent under a rock in Spain did not strictly abide by the typical nun dress code. Margaret Qualley's acting is so good and refined.. she's obviously very pretty and the camera makes use of that but she's also studied her craft and has the right dose of intensity in each scene. Melissa Leo and Julianne Nicholson are wonderful as well.. such an underrated film.

Zabawa w Chowanego/Hide and Seek.. highly recommended to anyone that is interested in the topic but can't handle too many details and just cares about these people being brought to justice. Pope Francis.. I actually enjoyed it, Wim Wenders's Cuban experience is evident and romanticizes the subject quite a bit but it's still a nice reminder that there's a tiny fraction in all fandoms of all supernatural forces that involves philosophy, critical thinking and introspection, rather than obnoxious proselytism, and that's kind of fascinating.

Phuel likes this.
  6. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ If you’re on a Catholic/Judeo-Christian kick, and looking for a more thoughtful supernatural take, have you seen The Wailing?

It’s part the demonic possession of The Exorcist (without the now terribly outdated silly possessed makeup), part Jacob’s Ladder with its eternal telling of the metaphysical struggle of Good/Evil’s fight over out eternal souls, and all glorious Korean classic ghost fable. There’s nothing “horrifying” about the story in that it’s not a classic Hollywood fright-night sort of trope, just old-fashion great storytelling and absolutely invested acting from a talented group. If you dig the clever twisted sensibility of Parasite, this is the same mood in its fable-esque storytelling. And as with the best of Korean filmmaking, it sure knows how to masterfully blur the lines between tones of comedy amidst tragedy.