Layering F/W 06.07

it's really huge for fw0607, mainly influenced from Mark Jacobs and not only

will i try it? already doing this for spring

thanks for the new thread zrzava :flower:

Hmm. Recycled trend. Do people really not layer already? :ninja: It's so simple.

erm, i'm always layering, but i like that it'll be going mainstream although as usual the chavs and chavettes of the world will find a way of making it tacky for the rest of us :lol:

edit - just wanted to say i think it looks best with skinny jeans but a lot of layering on one's top half, although this could be problematic for fatties, making them look like tents a la the poncho trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole layering trend has been around for a long while, hasn't it? I suppose it's always interesting to see new takes on it, though.

Well, layering has been around since forever...

I think the styling we've seen on the runways for f/w is a new and fresh approach to layering, sort of. More about volume, more about layering similar items like cardigans over cardigans, coats over coats... Not the "expected" layering of t-shirts and tops.

milkeyedmender said:
erm, i'm always layering, but i like that it'll be going mainstream although as usual the chavs and chavettes of the world will find a way of making it tacky for the rest of us :lol:

edit - just wanted to say i think it looks best with skinny jeans but a lot of layering on one's top half, although this could be problematic for fatties, making them look like tents a la the poncho trend.

Wow, great empathy :unsure: :huh: :innocent:

to put a record straight, layering is not something new for sure
here we are not to discuss layering through the fashion ages or as in this being a timeless personal style..

the object of this thread is to exchange on how layering is been leading the mood specifically at fw0607 catwalks.. and for next season, so please, feel free to contribute in a creative way and keep this on topic on the fw0607 layering trend

here from the W "morph" fw0607 editorial
Touches of Russian constructivist influence and even a doll dance à la Petrouchka, turn up in distinctive, transgressive combinations of layers: dresses over pants, a cocktail number with disheveled leggings. The message of bold, asymmetrical volume is echoed in piled-up wigs, dramatic boots and platform shoes.

"Morph" photographed by Inez Van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin has been edited for Style.com; the complete story appears in the May 2006 issue of W.

03m.jpg

Chloé olive green wool sweater; Banana Republic black cotton sweater; Rena Lange black and ivory herringbone wool skirt; Louis Vuitton gloves; Early Halloween socks; Prada shoes.

08m.jpg

Calvin Klein black cotton jersey dress; Yves Saint Laurent black and white wool tweed pants; White + Warren navy cashmere sweater vest; Prada socks.

12m.jpg

Louis Vuitton gray wool and cashmere jacket; Marc Jacobs gray cashmere cardigan; St. John black wool and rayon skirt.

Photos: Inez Van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin
credited to www.style.com

13m.jpg

Dior black acrylic and wool dress; Blumarine black patent leather pants; Yves Saint Laurent boots.

credited as above ..

Lena said:
to put a record straight, layering is not something new for sure
here we are not to discuss layering through the fashion ages or as in this being a timeless personal style..

the object of this thread is to exchange on how layering is been leading the mood specifically at fw0607 catwalks.. and for next season, so please, feel free to contribute in a creative way and keep this on topic on the fw0607 layering trend

Absolutely. There is a stronger and different focus on layering than we normally are used to for f/w 06/07.

Great pics btw, thanks for posting! :flower:

fw0607 layering -at least as i de-code trend- is mainly about breaking volume rules in a pretty unexpected way

i believe that the (short) dresses-over-skinny-trousers look is destined to go huge

"skirt-over-pants" has been making the rounds at art school campuses for so long that i sincerely hope it's done better this season...i sincerely hope :lol:

^ I really dislike the skirt-over-bottoms look. For me it's too dancer-like. And I'm not dying over the I'm-wearing-everything-I-own-and-then-some-style but maybe to the uber-trendy girl (who would wear a banana on her head if Style.com said it was chic) these look heavenly, I'm sure.

A cute shift-over-pants is another story... however, it has to been done right to avoid looking frumpy. Unless you're going for the frumpy look--in which case move ahead four paces :blush:

(I do adore the Chloé olive green wool sweater, though.. and a few of those pieces, but separately. Otherwise, and I'm not trying to be snooty, but I swear the bums on Broadway St have been consulting with a fashion forecaster because they've been sportin' this look for a few weeks now.)

(Thanks, zrzava, for the thread.. and Lena, for the pictures)

milkeyedmender said:

oh dear. just...i'll bite my tongue on a few points as this could be a good thread.

layering for me is not fashion but necessity, scotland is freeeeezing! i'm always looking for new ways to do it though, it can get so boring.

Bixby said:
^
A cute shift-over-pants is another story... however, it has to been done right to avoid looking frumpy. Unless you're going for the frumpy look--in which case move ahead four paces :blush:
I see that the wide belted waist will continue to be a trend this fall. I'd put my money on a short dress over skinny trousers with a belted waist and ankle boots, knee boots or flats.

The same look works sans-belt if the dress is tailored to nip in at the waist.

...and substitute the ubiquitous ankle legth tights for the skinny pants if you're unsure about the added bulk.

Of course layering is nothing new but the layering we're talking here is more along the lines of (as much as I hate to say it) Kirsten Dunst's styling than Katie Holmes's.

Find a breakdown of the Key Layering Pieces at Stylebites.

Ralph Lauren F/W 06
vouge.co.uk​

00030f.jpg
00250f.jpg

Marc Jacobs F/W 06
vogue.co.uk

00150f.jpg
00130f.jpg

Max Arzia F/W 06
vogue.co.uk