Madame X : Madonna by Steven Klein

I simply like "Love Song", but it sounds like Diet-Prince, like he came up with it in 5 minutes because his label told him to. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he just had it in his "vault", and said, "You want a song w/ me and her? Fine, here you go." If I had "Like a Prayer" on digital or CD, I'd just skip past to track # 9 before listening to this one.

As far as her look for this album goes, again, she should just go back to Lori. I get that there's slim-pickings these days w/ regards to cutting edge design, but that's where a highly creative person, who's spent years doing this, can take the trash that's out there now, and turn it into treasure!

And as far as the photography goes, I know I said, "Please get that finger out of your mouth," but I didn't mean, "and replace it with a saxophone."

^^^ May be hard to believe with Love Song— but apparently they really did wanted to work together... (It was even slipped by some media back then that it was planned as the 2nd single.)

Love Song just sounds like a chill, funky improv and a one-take (although they were never in the studio together:( That’s its charm for me. Most of the Like A Prayer tracks were apparently one-takes: Patrick Leonard just posted a handful of the original session tracks this week on his Youtube channel.

If you want to talk about someone who was obligated to contribute to her— that would be Bjork’s Bedtime Story. Never liked that song nor the video. But the 95 Brit Awards performance was all kinds of gorgeous-- and Lori dressing her in that Versace gown, with Orlando giving her that goddess hair is why the Bedtime Stories era is untoppable.

^^^ May be hard to believe with Love Song— but apparently they really did wanted to work together... (It was even slipped by some media back then that it was planned as the 2nd single.)

Love Song just sounds like a chill, funky improv and a one-take (although they were never in the studio together:( That’s its charm for me. Most of the Like A Prayer tracks were apparently one-takes: Patrick Leonard just posted a handful of the original session tracks this week on his Youtube channel.

If you want to talk about someone who was obligated to contribute to her— that would be Bjork’s Bedtime Story. Never liked that song nor the video. But the 95 Brit Awards performance was all kinds of gorgeous-- and Lori dressing her in that Versace gown, with Orlando giving her that goddess hair is why the Bedtime Stories era is untoppable.

Bedtime Story is actually one of my favourite songs off that album, and the video too. Don't you like it because it's Bjork, lol? I would add that it certainly wasn't Madonna and that stylistically, the song didn't match the tone of the album. It may have been better suited to Ray of Light?

I wish I cared enough for Like A Prayer to appreciate the fact that the songs were one-takes. Maybe it's an age thing because I can't associate with that album at all, just like I can't associate with anything post Hard Candy.

Batuka
Photographer
- Riccardo Castano
Stylist - Eyob Yohannes
Hair - Andy Lecompte
Makeup - Isamaya Ffrench

The Exclusive Premiere Of Madonna’s “Batuka” Video & Hear From The Woman Herself

by Riccardo Castano

Refinery29: In the Inside Madame X short film, you spoke a bit about discovering Batuque and the Orquestra Batukadeiras, and then collaborating with the women on this song. What did these women teach you?

Madonna: “I learned a great deal from these women. Many of them came from very economically challenged backgrounds, without access to formal education. The ways we measure achievement and success in our conventional society fails to capture their singular brilliance and strength. I found them to be so strong, authentic, soulful, loving, generous, and kind. You can’t learn these things in school. They taught me those things. It’s a tough world out there, and it’s inspiring to work with people who have been through the struggle but still manage to manifest and share joy with us all. That was a big part of the lesson.”

The video serves to both recreate that recording experience and, it would seem, to evoke the painful-but-joyous history of Batuque, specifically its origins in Cape Verde and ties to slavery and suppression. How did you, your director Emmanuel Adjei, and the Orquestra work together to conceive of the visual narrative for the video?

“We wanted to honour how I met these women and our journey, with an organic and beautiful cinematic experience. We found a house that looked like a typical house that one would live in on the islands of Cape Verde next to the sea. Instead of me going to a small nightclub environment to meet them and hear them play, to then be invited into their circle, we choose a more natural and beautiful environment as the meeting place, ending up in the recording studio. It wasn’t easy to replicate the significance of our first meeting and how it all happened. How they invited me in and gave me a leather drum, sat me down and said ‘Join Us’. They took turns dancing and embracing me. They invited me into their world and made me feel extremely welcome. When I asked them to record with me it was the exact same experience. They were just as joyful, just as down to earth, just as open, just as loving. I tried to capture the simplicity of that exchange. I hope it captures the range of emotions that I felt coming from them, and their music. I wanted to show the strength and the history, and I felt like all of their faces were just so expressive. I wanted to capture that in all of their close-ups.”

Your dancing here seems improvised. How did you approach it?

“I was completely and utterly inspired by them. And there was no need or call for choreography. The dancing was organic and fluid; I just watched them move and joined them.”

Even your biggest fans might forget that in the beginning of your career, you were a drummer for the NYC band Breakfast Club. How did you draw upon this past work to approach “Batuka”?

“Drumming for me is connected to dancing, since they’re both centred in rhythm. Moving at different times and different rhythms and different time signatures. That segue from playing the drums came easily for me, since that was my first job in a band. It was authentic for me, and I love it. I love playing percussion.”

As you’ve described, “Madame X” takes on many disguises and persona. Who is she in “Batuka”?

“It’s all part of the journey of Madame X. Traveling to different places, different worlds, different cultures, experiencing different folk music. Madame X discovers and respects the history of it, of being inspired by it, and ultimately shares it with the world.”

Will the women join you onstage when you perform in a live setting?

“Yes, not only are they in my show, they are my choir in general. They’re my choir in ‘God Control’, ‘Like a Prayer’, ‘Come Alive,’ and ‘I Rise’. They’re even dancing in my show; they’ve become fully integrated in so many ways. It’s amazing. It’s crazy how multi-talented they all are and how ready they are to share this experience. It’s been so great having them become a part of everything. They’re going to blow people away; the world isn’t ready.”
refinery29.com

World of Madame X
Director: Nuno Xico
Celebrity: Madonna
Stylists: Arianne Phillips & Eyob Yohannes
Hair: Andy Lecompte
Makeup: Aaron Henrikson
Manicure: Jenny Longworth

My god— is she still hammering on about this tacky mess of an era??? Let it die already, lady.

(BTW, I sort of love how she’s trying to be down with the kidz by using that Emma girl’s anti-gun protest for the opening of a track— only to be dismissed by the girl as “not doing it right” LOOOL Just stop with the desperate pining for the kidz’ approval…)

Beyoncé isn’t a performer - line dancing isn’t talent.

This album was pretty good but Madonna really tries it with her “hello fellow kids” routine

Madonna is the Karl of music. Even now the kids still aren’t touching her...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->