Male Model Height Requirement

I'm just wondering, what do models end up doing after they are washed up i.e. they're not good enough for fashion anymore. there are definitely a lot of women models who make it even at the end of their life but not sure about male models. do they like end up just doing a blue collar job afterwards?

Unfair

I THINK THIS HEIGHT REQUIREMENT THING IS A BIT UNFAIR. IF YOU GOT THE LOOKS YOU SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO MODEL. THEN AGAIN MAYBE AM BEING SPOILT. BUT IF KATE MOSS BEING, ONLY 5'6''; 5'7'' DEPENDING ON WHO YOU ASK, CAN BREAK THE DOOR DOWN THEN MAYBE THE RIGHT GUY IS YET TO COME ALONG. HMMM

PS AM ONLY 5'9'' BTW. :innocent:

Tourni said:
<-- From an ex-aspiring model. Now an aspiring designer.

To put it clearly:
If you are under the height requirements there is little if any chance you will become a successful fashion model. When modeling you have to fit into the clothes properly; its all about the clothes, not you. If the outfit looks awkward because you are too big or too small, they will not bother tailoring. It's easier to get another muse who does fit the bill.

Just remember, there are tons of guys that fit the strict requirements, what do you offer that the rest don't?

I'm not trying to break anyones dreams or aspirations. I wish I could be a model, but unfortunately I know I don't fit the rquirements, and calcium pills won't help either. :(

.. I hope I didn't sound too harsh!

Thanks for telling it like it is..

In saying this though could you quote the height specifications for male runway?

Would there ever be exceptions? Or is it really as strict as you say?

For fashion modeling the required measurements for agencies are supposed to be 6'0 - 6'2, however, it is not uncommon to see models within an inch of the requirements if they have outstanding looks, or other qualities agencies look for.

Exceptions? I've seen a a handful of models that are under 5'11 signed by agencies but I can't say how successful they are... It's hard to tell really unless you see them in person next to another male model. Some might be 5'10 and their comp card might state they are 5'11 or 6'0, etc... :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
marsmars said:
I'm 5'11 and a guy.. I could easily model... But I'm scared I'll be the shortest guy EVERYWHERE. Which is off putting. Sad :-( I'm going to grow more though, I just turned 15. Yay!

don't feel bad.. i'm 18 and i'm 5'7.. :cry:

Hm, while I have nothing to gauge my height against, I'm 5'10" myself but ... maybe it's just me, when I look in the mirror, I don't look it (I've measured myself and everything). If going into any interview/scouting type situation, I would more or less lie and say I was 5'11". And if I ever did make it with any agency, they would probably do the same regardless.

Is height the largest factor in male modelling? Is it the only trend? Female models fall into a variety of categories, such as pixie, alien, babydoll, sex kitten, bombshell and so on (I think some of those are outdated though ...), but do guys have the equivalent? Do we have an alien "Gemma" male model equivalent? It seems that the only guys you see walking the runways and in editorials have hallowed out cheekbones and large chins (the eyes and nose are variable). And of course they're tall. I think the market could use some expansion/diversity. I'll try to set the world on fire ^_^

^ I agree, there needs to be more variety and leeway in male modelling. Most designers never take chances with the casting of their shows either in the same way Prada might for the women(I mean, some of the Prada men might look a little unique, but not to the degree of the ladies). I just think there needs to be more of an interest and focus of the men, then the diversity might come.

Well im 18, 6 1 but only 135 pounds. If i wanted to gain entry into the world i would have to gain a little weight. Well alot. LOL.
Male models dont have any appeal to me tho, i know its off topic, but they dont. I rather look at the beauty of a woman than a man. Women are aestethically pleasing in general.

Crakk said:
Well im 18, 6 1 but only 135 pounds. If i wanted to gain entry into the world i would have to gain a little weight. Well alot. LOL.
Male models dont have any appeal to me tho, i know its off topic, but they dont. I rather look at the beauty of a woman than a man. Women are aestethically pleasing in general.

I find both men and women to be aesthetically pleasing. Best of both worlds I guess :lol:

But ... I think there's a good market for "waif" models nowadays. If you've got an interesting face you may be able to pull it off. As long as one is thin and clothes drape well on the body then realistically one is able to model.

i didn't have the energy to read all the posts here, but the reason that the height is set to 6,0-6,2 or whatever it is, it is because you have to fit into 50 or 52 AND all the models have to match each others height (runway..). that's why the model agencys have been so nazi at that. maybe until now. because now the business for photoshooting is higher than ever, and if the agency can earn money on a good model who is a few inches lower than 6,0 or higher than 6,2, they'll take him in. (or her of course). things are changing all the time. i am hopefully beginning my career as a model myself very soon, and i am not 6,0. i'll try working freelance at first though, so i am just dependent on what the employers think about me.. and i'll do only photoshoots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Fabulous said:
don't feel bad.. i'm 18 and i'm 5'7.. :cry:

Sorry. It's all about perspective. To me, I think I'm too short. But you think that if you were 5'10 it'd be that much better. It's this strange psychological thing, I know I should be more grateful. :doh:

I hate the constraints involved with male modeling. So many of the models have this over processed cheekboned face and jaw. I've seen it so much that I cannot bring myself to look at another photograph. It wears on me.

I have a unique look, and I think anyone with that, should find it easier than someone who has that "typical" look. Even if the differences in inches of height are there.

Use the way you look to proclaim your uniqueness in this industry, use it as a platform in order to communicate your interior, your passion for fashion.

With that, nothing would stop you.

Just think of Janice Dickinson, she almost lost it. She went from agency to agency, and got a bone tossed to her at Wilhelmina. She was as tall as the rest, but she was ethnic in a fashionplanet of scandanavians. The odds were stacked against her.

There is a first time for everything, always. That groundbreaking new face or look or person. That can be you. It will be you if you let it happen. :D

If you really want to do it, go! Godspeed, I say. :flower:

Oliver Chesires is like 5'9 and he does major shows, scored campaigns.

Kushie said:
Oliver Chesires is like 5'9 and he does major shows, scored campaigns.

Oliver is taller than 5'9, but no taller than 5'11, if a video I saw meant anything.

Jarrod Branch is doing very well and is 5'11 I believe, which is sort of like being a 5'7/5'8 female model

dragonlance said:
I'm just wondering, what do models end up doing after they are washed up i.e. they're not good enough for fashion anymore. there are definitely a lot of women models who make it even at the end of their life but not sure about male models. do they like end up just doing a blue collar job afterwards?

After fashion there is catalogue! American and German catalogue pays very well actually! The german catalogue is usually booked out of miami. Rates for guys can go up to like 4000 a day. But remember catalogues book for multiple days. So it's not that shabby.

Eddie Klint seems like he's on the short side but he's doing really well, being the face of Prada and all.

I still think Oliver Cheshire should be inspiration to all male models... he's 5'9, which is almost short for girl models! Hes still doing really well though, as in Dolce and Gabbana campaign good.

I'm sure that if an agency sees a slender yet muscular, chiseled, clear skinned strong jawlined 20 year old stunner who happens to be 5'10, they could make an exception! :flower:

Petite Male Model

What do you guys think about Petite Male Modeling? I'm not tall. I'm only 5'6. Yet some hire me as their model for photo shoots because I'm thin. I look tall in pictures. But anyway, I'd like to know what you think about it. I like to be the first Petite Male Supermodel. LOL

tyson beckford is 5-11

i think hes done dsquared show this year and models werent taller than him

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->