Marchesa - what do you think?

I actually kind of like it :ninja: though it does appear to be made of the foil wrappers that some peanut butter cups come in...

Vogue is really behind this brand. One of the two designers, Georgina Chapman (the one dating Harvey Weinstein) is the "girl of the moment" in their september issue. And she was featured earlier in their March issue...

so it's official :innocent:

Vogue has given the official Wintour seal of approval so I suppose they will go far. I think some of the stuff is very pretty, perfect for the red carpet and a little different from the endless parade the same shapes/labels seen on the red carpet. Its all very Hollywood to me which is fitting I suppose. Though I do agree that some of it is not flattering on the body at all. If a dress makes Karolina Kurkova look bad then its going to make everyone else on earth look bad too. That is a problem in my book. That said this latest collection, in its Zoe-styled glory looks quite good.

That dress is pretty tacky, and a rip-off of a recent Dior dress made of white pleated silk. All these dresses are so...."Ta Da!" red carpet entrance style, loud and noisy, but of course, "good taste" in that they remind you of some pieces out of the Vogue archive, with trains, bows, gloves, etc.

To me, good American style is Halston, Stephen Sprouse and of course the cliche of Katherine Hepburn.

^Yes me too!! Marchesa has quickly become one of my favorite designers, my favorite dresses at the Golden Globes, Jennifer Lopez and Sienna Millers were both Marchesa. The detail and craftsmenship of these dresses are worthy of being considered couture in my opinion. I also loved their spring show and I am very excited to see their fall line.

they are for sure having a 'moment'...:P

Oops, sorry i meant Sienna, not Longoria (Longoria's was Ungaro and gorgeous)

zamb said:
by what standard to you measure them to conclude this?

with the celebrity hype that has recently been flooding up the red carpet and other events.

I have never heard of Marchesa until Jlo wore that green one shoulder dress that resembles the vintage valentino she wore recently.

Tfs hasn't reviewed Marchesa at all until lately too. And come to think of it, Marchesa reminds me of Elie Saab or any of those designer that doesnt put collections together but make "preety" dresses and throw them down the runway at once. Basically a cookie cutter

but that's just my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
some of there things seem okay, but others just look silly... i think its very hit and miss. I suppose while they can keep on impressing the hollywood types and vogue with the hits they will do just fine.

They just better hope none of their misses ends up on a worst dressed list:innocent:

It might just be me, but does anyone else find this just a tad overboard?

00250m.jpg

style.com

To be honest, I first heard of Marchesa when Diane Krueger(sp?) wore a dress from them to the GG awards one year. It's okay, nothing to write home about but...yeah. I wonder I much press they would have gotten if one of them wasn't Harvey Weinstein's girlfriend. Would Anna really like them?

... thats what i was thinking. They aren't exactly the most original creations, i would have thought she would have eaten up these girls for breakfast...

:unsure:

I find the pieces to be very, very pretty---- though not in an exhilarating, revolutionary sort of way. In a sense it suits a Hollywood red carpet. Recall some memorable things that Olivier Theyskens did for Rochas, I mean, they were soooo mindblowingly beautiful and perfect for that type of high profile formal events, yet his pieces never showed up on a red carpet. I think Marchesa is pretty and the clothes photograph well (especially on Georgina Chapman). Maybe they are still finding their footing, but I won't write them off until I've seen more collections.

cocohokkaido said:
I find the pieces to be very, very pretty---- though not in an exhilarating, revolutionary sort of way.

cocohokkaido said:
Recall some memorable things that Olivier Theyskens did for Rochas, I mean, they were soooo mindblowingly beautiful and perfect for that type of high profile formal events, yet his pieces never showed up on a red carpet.

I agree that Marchesa is kind of "boring pretty" but I think that rochas had a more artistic approach and was more fashion forward

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudaZuza2005
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->