Marchesa - what do you think?

Not impressed AT ALL...I mean for a dress to be made in Korea and be charged as it was made in Italy? Nothing is wrong with things made in Asia, I just associate things made in Asia falling into the mass market category, not dresses charged at $1000's...I think recently, they're trying to compete with Rodarte

it might not be as "inspired" as other designers but i am always for women designing for women

I LOVE this brand. While not very creative, it's aimed at young women and it hits the nail on the head on that one. I can't imagine a designer I'd want more to buy prom dresses from.

Though Marchesa's tailoring isn't the finest in the world, in its defense, the designs deserve more credit than what people have given. I think they do Grecian well, and the embrodieries are exotic, with a uniquely oriental vibrancy. Their signature is highly recognizible in a sea of, say, Vera Wangs and Carolina Herreras.

No doubt that their ascent to the top of stylists' short list is questionably quick, and is sure to embitter designers who had to earn their break but, hey, that happens in any industry. I am sure being friends with a Hollywood mogul helps, but the fact that Marchesa has carved out a niche market for themselves, one of unabashed evening glamour, also contributes to their being in-demand. It is unfair to overlook the consistency in their work because of their luck. These are two separate things.

Boring pretty? That is J. Mendel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now although i think this particular design is stunning... (style.com)

00020m.jpg

I do have a bone to pick... again it seems :ninja: . Now these are supposed to be "collections" are they not? I Am really trying to find the connections between the F/W 07 garments and I can't.. other than the fact that they will probably end up on a celebrity. Is it just me? I just can't see the theme at all....

00010m.jpg
00040m.jpg

00060m.jpg
00070m.jpg

00100m.jpg
00120m.jpg

00170m.jpg
00190m.jpg

Georgina Chapman, Dita Von Teese and Keren Craig at the British Fashion Awards in London, all in Marchesa
Source: Vanity Fair Germany Nr.3/10.Jan.2008
photo: Action Press
scanner: achAT

Marchesa is endlessy cute and over the top Princess-ish. Thats a good thing and a bad thing. Unfortunately fashion like this is usually only good looking on some people, not everyone. I like peolpe like Scarlett and Diane K wearing it, but not people like Cate Blanchett or Penelope Cruz. Their collections are always super-pretty to look at, but they're too pretty to the point of dullness a lot of the time.

i was trying to find something nice,

i did but of those things ALL were blatant copies or rehashed ideas.

everything else was aesthetically....Painful.

:sick:

I don't really understand them as runway designers; they are relatively good at what they do (making pretty formal dresses and gowns), but there is no consistancy nor any real depth.

I've paid attention to this brand for a while and I think they are great!
Like other guys said, their designs are Princess-ish, it's quite fanciful. And most of their designs are suitable for the red carpet. We can see celebrities wear Marchesa now and then, and most of the time, they worked!
But except for the evening dresses, I'm not so sure about their daywear. Maybe now they are just focusing on the more glamourous eveningwear and to make their brand much more famous.
In my opinion, Marchesa is a quite promising brand and I'm really curious about their designs every season now. I hope they will move further. They are still young!

I love Marchesa. I have a dress from their Lotte line and it is gorgeous, and it fits beautifully. I love that it has a corset in it, but it is still comfortable.

Its just one of those labels that can make any girl look beautiful for any event really.

I think they´re growing with every season and they do it very well. I really like their designs. Very feminine and glamorous.

i think they are more famous for the beadings and embellishments used. their last show they made a black dress with a goldish brocade type of embroidery which was quite stunning. Although I have met both the designers, they are very down to earth and quite young. I am sure they have a long way to go...these are early days still.

GEORGINA by Kristina Stewart Ward
Town & Country March 2009
Hair: Benoit Moeyaert
Makeup: Fulvia Farolfi
Stylist: Kate Dimmock
Photographer: Joshua Jordan

source | scanned by MMA

She always looks great in her own designs. She´s like the best advertising for her brand.

Maybe few years later,it can appear on the couture week..maybe..
Don't look down upon woman designers' power,lol...

Those pictures for Town & Country are soooo lame xD. But the dresses are gorgeous. The only one that I didn't love was the Dolce&Gabbana-ish one. The one on the third pictre

Maybe few years later,it can appear on the couture week..maybe..
Don't look down upon woman designers' power,lol...

Couture isn't just about making beautiful dresses.

Couture isn't just about making beautiful dresses.

Agree. And while their dresses are beautiful, I always see them as safe choices. They don't really push the envelope in terms of actual design. It's the same 2-3 dresses that's been embellished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudaZuza2005
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->