Matthew M. Williams - Designer

Prior to choosing a new CD, maybe the honchos at LVMH should decide once and for all what Givenchy should be in terms of strategy and potential. It is obvious to me that it will never be another Dior and they should be realistic as to how far they can go with a brand like that: in a way, I feel like Tisci has already stretched it to its limits, superimposing his own aesthetic on that of the founder along the way.
At this point I care very little about who the next in line is going to be: having had so many CD's in so little time has only been extremely damaging for the credibility of another makeover.

p.s: I don't know why so many of you here are confident that Martine Rose is ready for a big appointment. I feel like she's already said what she had to say working for Balenciaga and her Pitti show last year proved that she has a very narrow creative scope. In any case, I do not think she is the kind of designer Suits are after these days...

Well, this was expected. I really hope LVMH doesn't give Givenchy to Kim Jones - his Fendi tenure is proof that he should stick to sleek menswear (which he used to do better at Vuitton than nowadays at Dior 😓). Sarah Burton would probably be the best - and a quite likely - fit for the house now, even if it would mean waiting a few seasons for her non-compete to expire. I don't see Haider getting it after his brief Berluti tenure and no hit accessories in his design career.

Last edited:
So happy he is out but for me Givenchy will always be Riccardo's love. That's why it's so tricky to pick a right designer and frankly I don't think they can afford another flop of that magnitude. There are so many talented designers and I feel like we'll end up with another semi / demi / whatever streetwear white dude. Shame, Sarah Burton would do wonders there with HC !

It's about damn time. LVMH is quite generous with him to let him finish his 3 years contract, I mean the group was less kind with more talented designers. So considering this is a win for him cause now he can use the "former designer of a couture house" for clout.
And what about the couture collection that he keeps teasing us? Where is it?

Now, Delphine do your thing.

Prior to choosing a new CD, maybe the honchos at LVMH should decide once and for all what Givenchy should be in terms of strategy and potential. It is obvious to me that it will never be another Dior and they should be realistic as to how far they can go with a brand like that: in a way, I feel like Tisci has already stretched it to its limits, superimposing his own aesthetic on that of the founder along the way.
At this point I care very little about who the next in line is going to be: having had so many CD's in so little time has only been extremely damaging for the credibility of another makeover.

p.s: I don't know why so many of you here are confident that Martine Rose is ready for a big appointment. I feel like she's already said what she had to say working for Balenciaga and her Pitti show last year proved that she has a very narrow creative scope. In any case, I do not think she is the kind of designer Suits are after these days...
I think that Givenchy is not mature enough brand to have a quote on quote strategy…
It’s an established brand but it has to be relevant again in terms of fashion conversation.
When Nicolas came to Vuitton, his strategy was to develop the RTW and to create a fashion narrative for the brand. It succeeded but now LV has a strategy to be a lifestyle brand. Marc’s role was to add a credibility in fashion and sell more bags…

Celine is turning more and more into a lifestyle brand.

I think Givenchy is a beautiful name. It has been quite well preserved and it’s also quite timeless in a way in terms of branding. To make Givenchy matter again, they will need some strong voices.

That’s what lacked during Williams and Clare’s tenure.

Personally, I would love Haider because I think he has a strong voice. And if he is chosen by Delphine, I know that it will at least mature. Givenchy is not a direct competition to Chanel so he would use the hype around Chalamet for the celebrity clout.

Martine Rose has some potential. She is like Glenn Martens in a way. I feel like she has a voice strong enough that could work well with the refinement we associate with Givenchy.

She is like Glenn Martens in a way
Yes, but without the technical flamboyance. She is (was) at the forefront of a new (already old) wave of normcore designers that has not really evolved the way Mertens has: do you see her doing couture for Gaultier?
As for the refinement…well, we obviously attach very different meanings to the same word.

Yes, but without the technical flamboyance. She is (was) at the forefront of a new (already old) wave of normcore designers that has not really evolved the way Mertens has: do you see her doing couture for Gaultier?
As for the refinement…well, we obviously attach very different meanings to the same word.
For me they are valid in terms of generation and potential. That doesn’t mean that they are the same types of designer.
I loved Glenn’s Couture but I’m not personally a fan of his RTW beyond the creative possibilities. Rose’s last offering shown in Florence showed me a potential that I didn’t expect from her….

I think that, regardless, they have a strong enough aesthetic that could work well with the refinement of Givenchy. I mean, Givenchy is supposed to be refined…Even if we attach different meaning to the word.

Kim Jones would really help in generating $$ if he were appointed to Givenchy, but in terms of creativity and cultural relevance? I'm not so sure. You look at what he has done to Dior Homme since his arrival, and it all just looks so generic and mass-market. Ditto with Fendi.

Kim Jones at Givenchy would mean lots of logo's, lots of hype beasts, and lots of collabz.

Jones might have the Midas touch in terms of sales, but in terms of everything else, he has been such a snooze.

preacher-hallelujah.gif

media.tenor.com

Details on Williams' departure from Givenchy:
• the departure will be effective from January 1 with his last collection for being Women's/Men's Pre-Fall 2024
• despite recent success with the Voyou bags and Shark Lock boots, commercial success and critical acclaim has lagged behind Loewe and Celine
• following collections will be designed by the studio teams until a successor is announced
• Williams has partnered with entrepreneur Adrian Cheng to expand 1017 Alyx 9SM with plans including opening freestanding boutiques and growing categories like jewelry, shoes and accessories
Givenchy and Matthew Williams Are Parting Ways

The American designer is to exit the French house on Jan. 1 — and has big plans for his signature brand 1017 Alyx 9SM.

By MILES SOCHA
DECEMBER 1, 2023, 8:00AM

Givenchy and its creative director Matthew M. Williams are to part ways after a three-year collaboration, WWD has learned.

His last effort will be the men’s and women’s pre-fall 2024 collections, scheduled to be unveiled in select media in the coming days.

“This change will be effective from January 1, 2024,” Givenchy said in a brief, upbeat statement.

The development underscores a trend for shorter tenures at Europe’s heritage brands, and sets the stage for yet another reinvention at the storied couture house, controlled by luxury giant LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton since 1998.

Williams’ departure comes at the end of his initial contract — and only weeks after the American designer forged a business partnership with Hong Kong entrepreneur Adrian Cheng to ramp up development of the designer’s signature brand, 1017 Alyx 9SM. Plans include opening freestanding boutiques and beefing up high-potential categories including jewelry, shoes and accessories.

“Leading the creative direction of Givenchy was, as I said upon my arrival in 2020, the dream of a lifetime,” Williams said in the statement. “Over these three years, I have strived to perpetuate Mr. Hubert de Givenchy’s legacy while bringing my own creative vision and I would like to sincerely thank the studio, Renaud de Lesquen and LVMH for this incredible opportunity.”

De Lesquen, president and chief executive officer of Givenchy, thanked Williams in turn “for all the energy he brought to Givenchy. His collections, resolutely creative and contemporary, have sparked a new dynamic and found their audience. I join everyone who has had the pleasure of working with Matthew in wishing him every success in his next ventures.”

Williams was announced as Givenchy’s seventh designer just as the coronavirus pandemic gripped the world. Indeed, he had completed his contract negotiations with LVMH via Zoom and unveiled his first collections during coed showroom presentations, everyone masked and distanced.

He was only able to stage his first runway show for the fall 2021 fashion season, roping in his wide network of music buddies to curate booming soundscapes.

Williams designed couture dresses for certain VIPs, including Jodie Foster and Kendall Jenner, and for a Tiffany & Co. high jewelry show in New York last September, but he did not present any high-fashion collections during Paris Couture Week.

His arrival seemed to thrust Givenchy back into the realm of buzz, cool and cultural urgency that it last enjoyed under Riccardo Tisci, creative director from 2005 to 2017.

Business momentum seemed to pick up recently, largely on the strength of Voyou handbags and Shark Lock boots. But big commercial success and widespread media acclaimed eluded Williams and Givenchy, which has been lagging the explosive growth seen at Loewe and Celine, also part of LVMH Fashion Group.

Williams is widely seen as a driven, versatile fashion talent with a sharp vision, strong cultural and artistic connections, and formidable technical chops. When he joined the French house, he was perhaps best known for his signature roller-coaster buckle and collaborations with the likes of Nike, Moncler, Dior, Stüssy and Audemars Piguet.

At Givenchy, the designer frequently drew inspiration from the founder, and occasionally the Tisci era, but mostly he designed according to garment archetypes with an intense focus on fabrication and finishing. “Evolution” was a word he lobbed frequently when discussing his collections.

He made hardware, especially lock-like closures on tailoring and decorative elements on leather goods, a key thrust of his Givenchy, also injecting his prowess with labor-intensive denim finishes and cutting-edge manufacturing techniques for footwear.

In the statement, Givenchy credited Williams with helping the house to modernize its product range, contributing to “new momentum on the international stage, particularly in the United States and Japan.”

The Chicago-born talent, who worked with Kanye West and Lady Gaga earlier in his career, founded his 1017 Alyx 9SM brand in 2015, and was shortlisted for the LVMH Prize for Young Fashion Designers the following year.

The coed label is known for its industrial-tinged and utilitarian allure, realized with high-quality materials and modern craftsmanship. (The numbers in the brand moniker reference the designer’s birth date and an abbreviation of Williams’ first studio on Saint Mark’s Place in New York City.)

Founded in 1952, Givenchy has seen a string of designers take on the house legacy since the founder retired in 1995, starting with John Galliano, then Alexander McQueen, Julien Macdonald, Tisci and Clare Waight Keller, who also logged a three-year stint.

It is understood Givenchy is at the early stages of its search for Williams’ successor, and that will surely spark a guessing game about who might land the plum, yet challenging, Paris post.

Givenchy noted that the house’s “studio teams” would design future collections “until the announcement of a new creative chapter.”
Source: WWD

Details on Williams' departure from Givenchy:
• the departure will be effective from January 1 with his last collection for being Women's/Men's Pre-Fall 2024
• despite recent success with the Voyou bags and Shark Lock boots, commercial success and critical acclaim has lagged behind Loewe and Celine
• following collections will be designed by the studio teams until a successor is announced
• Williams has partnered with entrepreneur Adrian Cheng to expand 1017 Alyx 9SM with plans including opening freestanding boutiques and growing categories like jewelry, shoes and accessories

Additional information concerning 1017 Alyx 9SM's recent partnership with Adrian Cheng:
Entrepreneur Adrian Cheng Said Eyeing 1017 Alyx 9SM

According to sources, the Hong Kong developer and retailer has held discussions about investing in the brand founded by designer Matthew M. Williams.

By MILES SOCHA
SEPTEMBER 11, 2023, 1:00AM

Does Hong Kong entrepreneur Adrian Cheng have his eye on Matthew M. Williams and his 1017 Alyx 9SM label?

According to sources, Cheng has held discussions about investing in the Milan-based fashion concern.

The likelihood of a deal could not immediately be learned.

Reached via an intermediary last week, Williams declined all comment.

While Williams is most often in the media spotlight as creative director of Givenchy in Paris, he also dotes on 1017 Alyx 9SM, which he now shows in Milan during men’s fashion week.

Established in 2015, the coed label propelled the American designer to become a key ringleader of the burgeoning luxury streetwear scene.

The brand 1017 Alyx 9SM is known for its an industrial-tinged, utilitarian allure; buzzy collaborations with the likes of Nike, Moncler and Audemars Piguet, and its signature roller-coaster buckle, which appears on apparel, bags and shoes.

“It’s a life project, and it’s so personal. It’s named after my daughter,” Williams told WWD in a 2021 interview.

The numbers in the brand moniker reference the designer’s birth date and an abbreviation of the brand’s first studio on Saint Mark’s Place in New York City.

Cheng is the third-generation scion of one of the biggest business dynasties in Asia — spanning from property development and department stores to blockchain start-ups.

Primarily known for his ambitious retail projects as chief executive officer of New World Development and founder of K11 Group, Cheng is also a fashion enthusiast who sits front row at Paris Fashion Week and is among Chanel’s rare male couture clients.

He makes investments via various vehicles, including C Capital, a hedge fund he cofounded in 2017. Since then C Capital has invested in more than 60 “disruptive businesses in the consumer, technology and blockchain sectors globally,” according to its website.

Its portfolio includes Casetify, Bandier, Beautycon, Shein, Moda Operandi, Dazed Media, Not Just a Label and Tagwalk.

New World Development is a vast enterprise with tentacles that stretch into education, health care, insurance, aircraft-leasing and crypto. But its three main businesses are property development, hospitality and retail, including 27 New World department stores, the giant Chow Tai Fook chain for jewelry and watches, plus luxury distributor Luxba Group.
EXCLUSIVE: 1017 Alyx 9SM Secures Investment From Adrian Cheng

The Hong Kong entrepreneur said his investment underscores his belief in the "transformative power of fashion," with Matthew M. Williams embodying a "spirit of innovation."

By MILES SOCHA
NOVEMBER 17, 2023, 1:00AM

Setting the stage for an expansion thrust at 1017 Alyx 9SM, Hong Kong entrepreneur Adrian Cheng has taken a majority stake in Matthew M. Williams’s buzzy signature label.

This confirms a WWD report on Sept. 11 that Cheng was eyeing an investment in the Milan-based fashion house, which plans to relocate to Paris as it plots opening its first boutiques, and seizing on high-potential categories.

Disclosing the transaction exclusively to WWD, Williams enthused that the business partnership should allow his signature brand to accelerate its development, hire more staff and expand its accessories, footwear and jewelry offerings in particular.

He said Paris would likely be the location of the first 1017 Alyx 9SM boutique, with New York, London, Los Angeles and Tokyo also considered priorities.

“Those are the cities I frequent a lot and have an appetite for an Alyx store,” he said.

In a telephone interview, Cheng said his investment in Alyx was made via a new private vehicle which he described as a “lifestyle platform” spanning from fashion to entertainment.

He said the plan is to “strategically invest in cutting-edge designers and companies who are redefining the boundaries of fashion” and ones that “cross-pollinate fashion with art and music, community, and culture as well.”

“It’s time to nurture young, creative and innovative talents, so I see this investment as a testament to the transformative power of fashion,” he added.

As chief executive officer of New World Development and founder of K11 Group, Cheng has pioneered the concept of “cultural retail” in Asia, incorporating art, craft and fashion exhibitions into many of his developments.

He said Williams embodies “the spirit of innovation that I am passionate about supporting.”

While Williams is most often in the media spotlight as creative director of Givenchy in Paris, he also dotes on 1017 Alyx 9SM, which he has lately been showing in Milan during men’s fashion week.

Established in 2015, the coed label is known for its industrial-tinged and utilitarian allure, realized with high-quality materials and modern craftsmanship. It is perhaps best known for its signature roller-coaster buckle that appears on apparel, bags and shoes.

Williams also uses Alyx as a platform for recurring collaborations with the likes of Nike, Moncler and Audemars Piguet.

“It’s a life project, and it’s so personal. It’s named after my daughter,” Williams told WWD in a 2021 interview.

The numbers in the brand moniker reference the designer’s birth date and an abbreviation of Williams’ first studio on Saint Mark’s Place in New York City.

The American designer, now 38, established Alyx as a 50-50 partnership with Italian streetwear guru Luca Benini of Slam Jam.

“Luca is staying on as a minority shareholder. I’m also selling some of my shares,” Williams told WWD. “There’s also major capital injection into the business.”

Financial particulars were not disclosed.

In the interview, Williams expressed his gratitude to Benini and Slam Jam “for believing in me before anybody else did, and for helping me and Alyx to get to this point.”

Born in Chicago and raised amid the vibrant skate culture in Pismo Beach, Calif., Williams is a self-taught designer. He started his career in fashion production, making a name for himself working as creative director for Lady Gaga. He counts Dior and Fendi designer Kim Jones among his professional godfathers.

Conceived as a brand tuned into cultural undercurrents such as Berlin’s techno scene, Alyx made its runway debut at Paris Fashion Week with a coed show in June 2018. It is carried by such marquee retailers as Ssense, Dover Street Market, Antonioli, LuisaViaRoma, Printemps, End, Browns and Selfridges.

“The brand changes with me,” Williams explained. “I think as a creative and somebody that is making product for today, it’s going to naturally change, right? And it’s important as a creative to be reflecting the world we live in today.”

The designer takes the long-term view, noting that Giorgio Armani established his brand in his 40s and remains independent nearly 50 years later.

“I feel that I’m constantly getting better at what I do. I think there’s a lot more to say, and a really bright future,” he said.

Cheng is the third-generation scion of one of the biggest business dynasties in Asia — spanning from property development, hotels and department stores to blockchain start-ups.

Primarily known for his ambitious urban development projects like the Victoria Dockside cultural district in Hong Kong, Cheng is also a fashion enthusiast who sits front row at Paris Fashion Week and is among Chanel’s rare male couture clients.

He makes investments via various vehicles, including C Capital, a hedge fund he cofounded in 2017. Since then C Capital has invested in more than 60 “disruptive businesses in the consumer, technology and blockchain sectors globally,” according to its website. Its portfolio includes Casetify, Bandier, Beautycon, Shein, Moda Operandi, Dazed Media, Not Just a Label and Tagwalk.

New World Development is a vast enterprise with tentacles that stretch into education, health care, insurance, aircraft-leasing and crypto. But its three main businesses are property development, hospitality and retail, including 27 New World department stores, the giant Chow
Tai Fook chain for jewelry and watches, plus luxury distributor Luxba Group.

If they're willing to wait it out and rely on the design team to produce the next collections, then I'm afraid none of your top picks would be possible. Unless the negotiations are taking their time.

Kim Jones on Givenchy would be a downgrade for him and could be too parallel to his Dior Homme. I wouldn't intrust him on creating its womenswear as well. We've seen his Fendi, Givenchy needs a total revamp after Williams. With Kim, It'll be too familiar.

Sarah is ideal but we need a good leather goods designer and merchandiser for this house. Matthew almost nailed it with the Voyou bag and Shark boots, but it was too late for him to turn things up.

Kim Jones on Givenchy would be a downgrade for him and could be too parallel to his Dior Homme. I wouldn't intrust him on creating its womenswear as well. We've seen his Fendi, Givenchy needs a total revamp after Williams. With Kim, It'll be too familiar.

Sarah is ideal but we need a good leather goods designer and merchandiser for this house. Matthew almost nailed it with the Voyou bag and Shark boots, but it was too late for him to turn things up.

Exactly. Jones needs to be downgraded with him failing at his Fendi brief. The house was overshadowed by Celine and Loewe, when Fendi traditionally is the 3rd LVMH maison. At least it won’t seem like a firing. Even if at the expense of Givenchy, but I guess that’s too idealistic. They’re a business after all.

I have same thoughts with Sarah. I’d have her at Givenchy because she’s perfect for it but that’s if LVMH can temper their expectations. She’s CWK 2.0: Good gowns, beautiful gowns but cannot move products!

In hindsight I wish they gave Givenchy to Hedi Slimane instead of Celine. It has everything he wants.

Last edited:
If they are willing to wait and have collections designed by the studio, the rumors of Sarah Burton will grow. She has proved that she can do it.
Even her bags at McQueen weren’t bad and there’s a connection between McQueen and Givenchy. It would probably be easier for her to tap into Givenchy’s universe as it’s more feminine and practical.

It would be a loss for Pinault to let her go to LVMH though.

I looked at Givenchy on several online stores, in fact it’s impossible to see any kind of clear vision or even interesting pieces. Nothing says Givenchy, and nothing is neutral enough to just pass for great pieces of clothing ( like Celine). In the end there is no reason at all to buy any of it. I’m not surprised it didn’t work out, there really is no point of view whatsoever

i think we've all reached a fairly unanimous consensus that givenchy has absolutely no coherent creative direction, and it hasn't for a long while now. the last thing the maison needs is an interregnum leader who will dig it an even deeper grave. it needs a strong, powerhouse designer with a unique, exciting point of view. it needs to be someone with both remarkable technical ability and an extraordinarily creative imagination. the magic ingredient then is an expert merchandiser and marketeer, who can distill their ideas into accessories and leather goods. the rest will follow. very few designers fit this bill though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->