Maxim February 2016 : Elsa Hosk by Sante D'Orazio

WeberFanatic

Reaction score
MTM1OTk2NTg4NTYzNjY2MTk0.jpg

Source: Maxim.com

Just picked up the new issue yesterday and all I can I say is WOW! Loving the new direction of Maxim with Glenn O'Brien on board, art direction is beautiful & more improved from last time. The price has gone up from 3.99 to 4.99. Fun little illustrations for some of the articles. Glenn now has own column within the magazine just like his GQ Style Guy days :blush:. Paper quality on par from the December/January issue :heart:. As with the last issue there are a couple blank white pages with a classic quotes from past visionaries. GQ should watch out Maxim is coming.

Review

128 Pages

Vegas Baby
Model: Elsa Hosk
Photographer: Sante D'Orazio
Stylist: Isabel Dupre

Great mix of colored & black & white photgraphy of Hosk mostly clothed for her spread. Very sexy but tasteful, not raunchy.

Northen Lights
Photography:Bjarke Johansen
Creative Direction: Simon Rasmussen

Images from Johaansen & Rasmussen's latest book 100 Great Danes. A tribute to the women of Denmark.

Floyd Mayweather
Photographer: Craig McDean
*Reprinted photo from Interview editorial from December 2009/Januruary 2010 issue

Mr. Peck
Celebrity: Ethan Peck
Photographer: Tiziano Magni
Stylist: Hugo Curletto

Nice use of shadows within story. Classic menswear pieces styled upon Etahn Peck. Mix of black & white and color phots.

Fast Friends
Photographer: Bill Phelps
Stylist: Yohanna Logan

Profile on owner of Powerplant Motorcycles. Upclose shots of motorcycles mixed in with photos of a Yaniv Evan (owner) & woman driving together in one.

Interview with Massimiliano Giornetti, creative director of Ferragamo about menswear.

32 page profile on Las Vegas. Before that there is an 8 page spread shot by Todd Erbele of various shots of Las Vegas' nightlife in color.

The cover looks okay but I have to admit I expected to be an outdoor shoot by Gilles Bensimon. I guess it has become predictable but I still liked those editorials.
Anyways, good to see Elsa. Hope it's a good issue.

Nice to see Sante's work again. However, the cover shot and art direction looks dated, and what's up with Elsa's make-up??? What is truly gross though is the need for Biglari to have his signature printed right underneath the masthead!! This man's inflated sense of importance is vomitory. I'm sure if he could get away with 'Maxim by Biglary', he'd do it.

Thanks a lot for the review, WeberFanatic!! :flower: I'll hunt this issue down, it certainly reads promising.

the photography looks so cheap imo and the pose looks like an outtake, they could have made a sexier and fashion-yer cover.

I certainly don't mind men's magazines, but on this occasion, that cover looks more like a Las Vegas calling card.

Cheap compared to what Kate Lanphear was doing.

In all fairness, I don't think Kane's Maxim resonated much with readers of this magazine. I liked it though, but I'm sure Glenn will be way more effective. He's a man, he's got that wealth of experience, and I haven't even seen the issue yet (just this garish ed and cover), but I'm looking forward to it.

She looks like an upset high class prostitute trying to hold it together and look sexy for the client that's just walked in.

(Sorry Elsa, you're gorgeous and I'm glad you got a cover and story etc, it's not your fault this cover is cheap!)

^^You´re right, but I was hoping that the new eic would mantain that luxe vibe. This image looks cheap in a technical level, too blurry with bad lightining imo.

What do girls and gay guys know about what's makes a straight guy h*rd? I hate when commenters expect some high fashion sh*t. It's Maxim! Kate Lanphere was a horrible choice to lead this magazine. I believe there is an editor out there who can turn Maxim around but by embracing digital not by making it "classy".

She looks like an upset high class prostitute trying to hold it together and look sexy for the client that's just walked in.

(Sorry Elsa, you're gorgeous and I'm glad you got a cover and story etc, it's not your fault this cover is cheap!)

I don't even understand how that is a negative criticism. Maxim is basically Playboy-lite... they're SUPPOSED to look like f*cking prostitutes. :rolleyes:

Holy sh*t this isn't Vogue Italia, why are we holding MAXIM up to those standards.

Do straight guys still buy magazines to get h*rd? p*rn and derivatives are free online... I thought that mags like Maxim were more about the lifestyle, so why wouldn´t guys want a more refined publication? clearly that´s not the case with this magazine...
And if I remember correctly Maxim only started to get its own thread when it became a more fashion oriented magazine (with its cover subjects and form) so if we can´t have fashion expectations then what is it doing here? in any case, it should be on the Men´s Magazines thread shouldn´t it?

What do girls and gay guys know about what's makes a straight guy h*rd?

I find this question so outrageous that I struggle to generate a proper response. This is the very reason why magazines are in a state of crisis. Because they still function on that antiquated 'cluster' concept where they foolishly believe only a specific group forms part of their audience. Why couldn't girls and gay guys know what appeals to straight men? Because they need to belong to a certain group to form an opinion about another's likes and dislikes? God forbid! In that case we might as well get rid of Tonchi and Ariel Foxman - two (gay?) editors in charge of magazines aimed at (mostly) straight women. And we haven't even started with designers yet...

And if I remember correctly Maxim only started to get its own thread when it became a more fashion oriented magazine (with its cover subjects and form) so if we can´t have fashion expectations then what is it doing here? in any case, it should be on the Men´s Magazines thread shouldn´t it?

I agree!! I mean I'm sure there are other fashion oriented men's titles worthy of their own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->