Zhang Ziyi In Memoirs Of A Geisha

Yea Zhang Zi Yi is a good actress, but it's ironic how a lot of people in China and Hong Kong dislike her a lot. She used to be featured in a lot of tabloids of her going after rich men and sleeping her way to the top. Lots of people who's worked with her don't praise her but don't exactly deny that they don't like them.
To be fair she was great in films like "house of flying daggers", but with that personality it's no surprise why she's not well received where's she's from.

i also belive that as everyone knows...the media are notorious for exaggerating and playing up stories to their advantage....one source may put out a story and the rest of the media feed off it like vampires

TaTa said:
i also belive that as everyone knows...the media are notorious for exaggerating and playing up stories to their advantage....one source may put out a story and the rest of the media feed off it like vampires

True...but what type of person she is is quite well known by the public....let's just say it's certain as how it's certain that Paris is a spoiled egocentrical "celebrity." I guess in the U.S. it's because you guys didn't really notice her until the films by Wong-Kar-Wei. But you have to know that she's been around for quite a while in Hong Kong/China and has built up quite a rep. And to not have co-stars (male and female), such as Jackie Chan, refuting when asked about questions pertaining to her character does say something. It also doesn't help when of the late she kind of a-la-Paris seduced this kid from one of Hong Kong's most rich families. He has a gf of like 3 years btw and then yea basically travels around the world with him splurging money. There are pics of this and actually my friends know the guy.
This description doesn't say that her acting sucks, but in my book she's not that great of a person and I guess because of that it just doesn't make me think that she's that great of an actress or pretty because the inside of her is just the opposite.
that's my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

hmm...really??

well i guess we dont' really hear about her personal life as much (or at all) compared to HK and stuff liek that..so i couldn't really say....

but it doesn't seem she would be like that....do you have any articles you can post up or anything??..i think they would make for interesting reading

i take it your form HK or something? as you know about the tabloids there and what goes on and what is said

Yep I'm from Hong Kong but I'm studying in the US now.
As for articles I don't have any as of now and recently there has been less because she doesn't come back to Hong Kong or China often and kind of snubs the awards shows there (even though she's been nominated and stuff). I guess she knows that's she's not welcome there really and that she's kind of elevated onto a new level (aka Hollywood star).
I'll try to look for some when I go back =)

jessieee12 said:
And to not have co-stars (male and female), such as Jackie Chan, refuting when asked about questions pertaining to her character does say something.

From what I heard from my HK friends, Jackie isn't a saint either. :lol:

yeah.. i've heard of ziyi's trampy behaviour before.. the last i heard was when she seduced Jung Woo Sung (korean actor from Moonsa, the warriors movie..) and broke up his 7 yr relationship with his girlfriend.. pretty sick..

that was quite a while ago though.. im pretty outdated on this kind of stuff..

jessieee^^^ Sorry, but I don't believe a single thing you said. To me it's all abstract!!! :rolleyes: Here is an intelligent woman who still lives with her family, and takes care of them with the money she makes. She is a big star now, and it makes perfect sense for gossip, but the idea of her being mischievous (which I don't believe she is) is quite laughable!!! She doesn't seem like that to me. I've seen her in many interviews, and she seems well rounded. Other fellow actors that she has worked with praised her with great respect as an actor and as a person. If she is that mischievous and people of Hong Kong are that displeased with her, then why so many well respected directors such as Ang Lee want her in their films? I know here in the U.S. if an actress has that bad of a reputation it's smart to turn the other cheek and chose a different actress for their movie. Plus, if people of Hong Kong can't stand her for her mischievous ways, that's just sad, because imo, if I was to judge anyone or banish them, would be because they raped/murdered someone. :huh: :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
i've seen this movie and have to say it did not do justice to the book. the book was really interesting and very well written. about zhang's performance, i think she's a truly brilliant actress. she gave a great performance to the role.

Well you must take into account that she has been in the Hong Kong/China scene wayy longer than in the US scene. She's only gotten a lot of exposure and focus in these past 2 years and I think a lot of these interviews came right before or after the movies Memoirs.. I don't think the countless interviews during this short period of time, and especially when she has fame and all that gives a realistic picture of who she is.
She might be a good daughter cuz she lives with her family and supports them and such, but HOW did she get the money/roles is important too. I'm sorry it's just I really disrespect her and her "tactics" to claw her way to the top. As for why directors use her such as Ang Lee? Well she's got talent I got to say that and maybe that's what directors care about, especially if they're making movies that they want to kiind of break through into the US/Hollywood market.
It's funny now too, how now that she's a "hollywood star" that she snubs events and people back at home. Doesn't that say something about a person? To me and I think a lot of people it's just amazing how she's perceived totally differently in different spheres of the globe

P.S: Well how about people who judge Paris Hilton? She hasn't raped or killed anybody..but lets just say she's not exactly popular among many people

Lol I agree with the poster above about Jackie Chan...it's disgusting to know how many young 20 something girls he's gotten laid with :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:
i totally agree about the different image in different places.. esp when its not their hometown.. in japan paris hilton is a really cute girl..

I agree wholeheartedly that people have different reputations in different places, where cultures and perceptions could be different and way off...

Like Paris Hilton. :D The Japanese sees her as the sweet tart with gorgeous style and taste. Magazines cover her clothes, invite her to be the model and basically she is HUGE in Japan, ranking similar to Kate Moss or Gemma Ward. Some girls even follow her style and shows off pictures with her...

anyway,

I don't think Zhang is as sweet as she is with the Western press, and I believe directors use her simply because she is one of the most well-known asian stars out there. But it is just unfair, since causing others to break up is not ENTIRELY her fault.

nail on head!

oolie coco said:
But it's a movie.... Actors are expected to act..... if Zhang Ziyi can pull off the part, that's all that should matter... I don't understand why Caucasian/Latino/Jewish characters can all switch their ethnicities but Asians cannot. No matter what the history.

well thats exactly the point !....lets not miss out the fact that they created "kyoto " in california and made kimonos in LA .....i am waiting for someone to NICK PICK on whether the hue of the sky and the snow or indeed the architecture of tthe houses OR the patterns of the kimonos [ oscar winning kimons i might add.....] is correct or authentic or not !!!

suddenly the worlds press is an expert on japnanese intricacies !! and behaviour....

come on ...THIS IS A HOLLYWOOD PRODUCTION !!!.... enuff said !

o i forgot !!...the music......was it JAPANESE enough ???:sick: :rolleyes: and the script ???..and the story ???....written by ????...japanese enuff ???

i thought the acting wasstrong and superb by all except michele yeo who who just wasnt convincing at all.....i thought school marm rather than geisha.

so please lets be more informed.....

I know I'm a little late into this, but I think it's worse if Ziyi was cast as an Asian-AMERICAN (well American as in American born and raised, anyway. I guess you can get her to play someone who naturalized as a teen or young adult). There's NO WAY you can make the girl speak English with any kind of recognizable American accent. However, I COULD see Katie Leung (from Harry Potter) play an American, since many Brits have done it before.

bearbrick said:
i thought the acting wasstrong and superb by all except michele yeo who who just wasnt convincing at all.....i thought school marm rather than geisha.

I agree with you, no matter what nationality she had, Zhang - i think - had proved herself as talented actress

I already read the novel & even the film not the one like i project in my head, Zhang played Sayuri good enough. Like you said Michelle not really like Mameha in novel, i even guess Gong Li really suit Mameha's portion :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJS33
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"