Model Casting S/S 2025

i think the LV girls have more hype in the industry than the prada girls nowadays.. Angelina, Loli, Ida Heiner, Rianne, Mona (?)..etc

Surely that was. Despite the less-appealing sides of modeling during that decade as I wrote before, the "process" and the excitement it used to bring was clearly miles and miles above what we have now. There was no Instagram and other tools (or toys?) like that and when a new face came out of the blue, you had to dig deep to find out who she was etc. I recall convos here with the likes of @Faith Akiyama or @mariemaud among others, trying to find out where this or that newcomer came from, what was her mother agency, does she have polaroids somewhere etc. Same with magazines, we didn't get a zillion covers for an issue, had to wait until it hit the bookstore shelves (unless some keen model agent gave us a hint every now and then) before have the delightful surprise (or sometimes big disappointment). We used to be true detectives and patient, passionate hunters relentlessly looking for what will thrill us for days. Now we just sit down and watch, squeezed or smashed by the overload of information available, even against our will.
I miss this era :blush: I remember mystery girl Stephanie Rad at Prada F/W 2009, it took weeks to ID her :cool:
Sadly, Instagram polluted the fashion industry :rolleyes:

I miss this era :blush: I remember mystery girl Stephanie Rad at Prada F/W 2009, it took weeks to ID her :cool:
Sadly, Instagram polluted the fashion industry :rolleyes:
I miss it too. I mean, I deeply miss that special atmosphere and the thrill it used to be. I miss those days we were already dreaming when the show packages were released (now look at the package section on MDC...). I miss going to the shows in Paris when it used to be full-schedule, only had invitations for the small ones mostly but with a little luck (or the helping hand of some bouncers or press agents) you could enter some bigger ones every now and then. I miss the mystery around some new faces like Stephanie as you mentioned her, or Othilia Simon when she first appeared on a runway. I'm french and didn't know she was too, it took me days (with the help of @Faith Akiyama) to get that info and another full bunch of weeks before discovering who scouted her!

But as I said before, there were also so much to dislike back then. The lack of diversity. And those little sentences you could hear from agents like "she's not fresh enough" (my answer was: "come on, she turned 19 last month... Do you want all your models to be green or what") or "she's fat, I saw polaroids" (or the worst cherry on the top: "she's 16, wait until she turns 18 and I'll do her a nosejob"). And so on.
Though, with all the diversity we have today, I feel like there are quite a huge amount of missed opportunities. Too many gimmicks here and there, too many short-lived trends every season, too many casting directors still thinking models are disposable items. And so on again. And Instagram...

I have no issue with the idea of Instagram, I used it myself (with different targets, for different purpose etc.). But I don't like the "hype" one may get for the wrong reasons, I don't like how it often kills every single bit of mystery left. I don't wanna know a model's favorite dish or her pet's name (this said, MDC already used to spoil us with those useless stuff way before Insta). I consider a model's personality as a genuine part of her work but in a more professional way than having too many unwanted glimpses at her private life. Some Insta accounts are truly interesting, but too many of them are a waste of time, a waste of my eyes.

You can't lament the lack of diversity in the past and call a gimmick when there is diversity today. What more do you need? There are big models, old models, models whose tattoos are not covered, models from different ethnic background, non-binary and trans models.
That's a big change from the early 2000's

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flogomet
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->