Model Casting S/S 2025

i think the LV girls have more hype in the industry than the prada girls nowadays.. Angelina, Loli, Ida Heiner, Rianne, Mona (?)..etc

Surely that was. Despite the less-appealing sides of modeling during that decade as I wrote before, the "process" and the excitement it used to bring was clearly miles and miles above what we have now. There was no Instagram and other tools (or toys?) like that and when a new face came out of the blue, you had to dig deep to find out who she was etc. I recall convos here with the likes of @Faith Akiyama or @mariemaud among others, trying to find out where this or that newcomer came from, what was her mother agency, does she have polaroids somewhere etc. Same with magazines, we didn't get a zillion covers for an issue, had to wait until it hit the bookstore shelves (unless some keen model agent gave us a hint every now and then) before have the delightful surprise (or sometimes big disappointment). We used to be true detectives and patient, passionate hunters relentlessly looking for what will thrill us for days. Now we just sit down and watch, squeezed or smashed by the overload of information available, even against our will.
I miss this era :blush: I remember mystery girl Stephanie Rad at Prada F/W 2009, it took weeks to ID her :cool:
Sadly, Instagram polluted the fashion industry :rolleyes:

I miss this era :blush: I remember mystery girl Stephanie Rad at Prada F/W 2009, it took weeks to ID her :cool:
Sadly, Instagram polluted the fashion industry :rolleyes:
I miss it too. I mean, I deeply miss that special atmosphere and the thrill it used to be. I miss those days we were already dreaming when the show packages were released (now look at the package section on MDC...). I miss going to the shows in Paris when it used to be full-schedule, only had invitations for the small ones mostly but with a little luck (or the helping hand of some bouncers or press agents) you could enter some bigger ones every now and then. I miss the mystery around some new faces like Stephanie as you mentioned her, or Othilia Simon when she first appeared on a runway. I'm french and didn't know she was too, it took me days (with the help of @Faith Akiyama) to get that info and another full bunch of weeks before discovering who scouted her!

But as I said before, there were also so much to dislike back then. The lack of diversity. And those little sentences you could hear from agents like "she's not fresh enough" (my answer was: "come on, she turned 19 last month... Do you want all your models to be green or what") or "she's fat, I saw polaroids" (or the worst cherry on the top: "she's 16, wait until she turns 18 and I'll do her a nosejob"). And so on.
Though, with all the diversity we have today, I feel like there are quite a huge amount of missed opportunities. Too many gimmicks here and there, too many short-lived trends every season, too many casting directors still thinking models are disposable items. And so on again. And Instagram...

I have no issue with the idea of Instagram, I used it myself (with different targets, for different purpose etc.). But I don't like the "hype" one may get for the wrong reasons, I don't like how it often kills every single bit of mystery left. I don't wanna know a model's favorite dish or her pet's name (this said, MDC already used to spoil us with those useless stuff way before Insta). I consider a model's personality as a genuine part of her work but in a more professional way than having too many unwanted glimpses at her private life. Some Insta accounts are truly interesting, but too many of them are a waste of time, a waste of my eyes.

You can't lament the lack of diversity in the past and call a gimmick when there is diversity today. What more do you need? There are big models, old models, models whose tattoos are not covered, models from different ethnic background, non-binary and trans models.
That's a big change from the early 2000's

You can't lament the lack of diversity in the past and call a gimmick when there is diversity today. What more do you need? There are big models, old models, models whose tattoos are not covered, models from different ethnic background, non-binary and trans models.
That's a big change from the early 2000's
The lack of diversity in the past? Sure, we all know that.
And I can only rejoice that things have changed, and I guess still getting better. Not complaining a single second about this fact.

When I talk about gimmicks, I don't mean having a diverse cast is a gimmick, when the cast is honestly done, when it is relevant, when it's not just about making some extra buzz like we've seen these last few seasons (or even a bit before already). For example, there was a season (last one or the one before, I think) we saw a lot of older models, most of them doing some sort of come-back (I'd rather say most of those were simple cameos). A lot of casts relied on nostalgia and that's a gimmick, a lot of casts weren't relevant at all and that was sad because it involved many great models. I know fashion is and has always been about trends, I know. Nothing new about this. But still, with the diversity we have now when it comes to models, and while there is still room for improvement(s), it's a little frustrating they don't go for something more genuine, something that last for more than a season.

We do not need a rat race for "who's going to be the most popular on social media". We're craving for something more relevant, steadier. I don't mind trends, it's a fashion reality. But one can ask for something a little smarter or more subtle.

Ok, I understand. I thought you assumed a diverse cast was just a gimmick.
I think nostalgia is good. I enjoyed seeing the older models coming out of "retirement", if I'm pushing the metaphors. It creates excitement for a runway show. I remember in 2014 when Gemma Ward came back for Prada. It was amazing. Versace bringing out the models from 90's was also a very big event. I don't think it translated into sells but for a moment, the brand was the talk of the week.
It's hard to have long-lasting trends in modeling when everything that matters is at the T-instant. Everyone wants something right away. Also, I believe it is hard for modelling agencies to to keep models' career relevant when there is so much competition for the models: you have actors, singers, activists, politicians, nepo babies ... We see it with the sales of Vogue. Those that sell the most are with celebrities
It's a tough business

Ok, I understand. I thought you assumed a diverse cast was just a gimmick.
I think nostalgia is good. I enjoyed seeing the older models coming out of "retirement", if I'm pushing the metaphors. It creates excitement for a runway show. I remember in 2014 when Gemma Ward came back for Prada. It was amazing. Versace bringing out the models from 90's was also a very big event. I don't think it translated into sells but for a moment, the brand was the talk of the week.
It's hard to have long-lasting trends in modeling when everything that matters is at the T-instant. Everyone wants something right away. Also, I believe it is hard for modelling agencies to to keep models' career relevant when there is so much competition for the models: you have actors, singers, activists, politicians, nepo babies ... We see it with the sales of Vogue. Those that sell the most are with celebrities
It's a tough business
Not sure how I feel about nostalgia but I won't deny I was more than glad to see again some models I hadn't seen in a long while. Some of them made my day even when I knew that was, well, just for that moment.

I know it's hard, very hard sometimes, to keep trends alive and have them last longer. Maybe now more than ever before.
Competition doesn't help, for sure. Especially when your aim is building a relevant career on the long run. I still believe there are things everyone can adjust, even improve, everyone at his own scale. I see some efforts, great efforts, being done here and there. Makes me happy when I see this but I know that it's just some precious little things/moments once in a while.
Vogue sells better with celebs and magazines in general have to sell. Though, some have 'artistic' ambitions and even if they have to sell their copies to survive, I rarely see true alternatives from them.

It's a tough business, yes, for sure. But having worked in other fields than fashion, everything that is meant to be a business is a tough business somehow. I guess the true question is what do we expect and what do we really value or cherish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    wahayoyo
    Back
    monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
    <-- Admiral -->