Models and social media

orthelian

Reaction score
I have seen this topic in a bunch of magazines I thought it deserved a thread here.

Since social media has boomed in the last couple of years, especially instagram, it seems that it has become an integral part of every models personal "brand".
Mikas for instance has links to their models instagram accounts on the first page of their digital portfolios right underneath their body stats.
I read one especially interesting interview with Elsa Hosk in Plaza around a year ago on the subject, which also had her and headlines of the article on the cover. She stated that Instagram is now a part of her career and she treats it as such, and that a model can get or lose a job based on the numbers of followers she has.

Looking for instance at Anna Grostina, who has hundreds of thousands of followers before she started modelling and has booked basically only top jobs. And I also think the millions of people following Kendall and Cara has something to do with the fact that they are everywhere.

So, what do you guys think of this? How important is Instagram and other social media now?

I was thinking about doing a thread like this! I hate how actors and models are almost required (unless you're already at the top) to "brand" themselves, to curate their life for strangers to look at. I really resent it!

One thing a lack of social media visibility offers is mystery. For instance Malgosia, Guinevere, and Julia Nobis all remain private, and it makes them more appealing to me because they appear to not care about presenting and curating their private life for the masses. Judge me by my modeling work, not a picture of me on the beach or making a stupid "shocked" face.

I agree with t-rex, judge their work not their private life. I feel like social media can bring out the worst in people, especially twitter and instagram. It also allows for the popularization of some mediocre models, because for some reason they get a lot of followers. I don't like the instagram model trend, and I hate that it's becoming a requirement for models. If a girl comes out of nowhere how will she all of a sudden get a ton of followers without getting some major jobs? But if she doesn't have a lot of followers she won't get major jobs, so she won't be able to become popular and get followers. It can create a catch 22

Interview with casting director Jennifer Starr on social media and models:

Almost more than half of the jobs I get asked to cast, they’re asking what a model’s Instagram following is, and I’m casting based on—but not solely—their Instagram following. It’s sort of crazy that in 2015 an Instagram following has become a standard of beauty. So the game has changed. Instagram is definitely a game-changer, and I think that you have to get on board with it. I want there to be a backlash, but I don’t think it will happen because I think it’s a tremendous opportunity to cross-brand.

http://intothegloss.com/2015/06/jennifer-starr/

^ That sounds rather unfortunate, how their social media has become a "criteria" for a girl nowadays. Instagram is a good platform but in my opinion it shouldn't fall heavy on the model shoulders. They should be booked on the bases of meeting the clients needs for the job rather than "regraming" a picture after they walked the show and getting thousands of likes. I wonder if increasing notoriety and sales is the goal? Instagram is fun but I would hate for a model who misses out because she has one less follower or doesn't bother with it at all. Its working for Julia Nobis.

I think Models on Social Media with a lot of followers are very marketable. If I am a designer, I would consider getting a model with a lot social media fans so my creations will reach a lot of people. Though, I think it should not be the only (or most important) criteria for casting someone.

Just the other day I was going through girls' profiles on DNA Model Management site and there was a link to every model's instagram just next to the stats/comp card/portfolio page. Kinda funny.

considering the fact that Anna Wintour just threw an event for Kevin Systrom of Instagram may be an indication of the fashion worlds fascination with the app, or it may just be a cultural marker of our technolohgical trajectory. its changed so many facets of the industry though, ever facet i reckon.

I think it's no so smart,how ddoes someone expect a unknown model to already gave a huge following,that comes after they are established.I also don't get the marketing to millions of followers equals sales,out of the 1% of the world nobody is checking a teenagerd idols instagram.and these buyers aren't 13 years old.

I would see Instagram and other social media as an optional requirement. Have it or not, the last thing I would see is that whether she can walk a Saint Laurent dress flawlessly or not :flower:

^ They did actually point it out in the article about followers "overlapping". But it is much more interesting to say 80 million or more people then the UK:lol:

It is kind of sad that a model can book a job over another model based on their following.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a section for your Instagram account if you were to apply to become a model on an agency's site.

Height: Must be 5'8" and up
Instagram Following: Must be 10k and up

:|

It is kind of sad that a model can book a job over another model based on their following.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a section for your Instagram account if you were to apply to become a model on an agency's site.

Height: Must be 5'8" and up
Instagram Following: Must be 10k and up

:|

What the...? I detest this!

This kinda destroys the good 'ol root of modelling if you ask me. As I said earlier on, Instagram should be an optional requirement; have it or not, it's up to the model herself.

Kendall and Gigi dubbed supermodels by Vogue

This article made me roll my eyes so hard:rolleyes:

There is so much irony, it's shocking. First the headline is that the term supermodel is overused, but they choose to name two instagram celebrities supermodels that are really new to the fashion scene.
That too is another ironic thing because they write that models became supermodels after many years working.
And end with a video that says: "Watch what happens when we give Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid a selfie stick:"

The Year in Fashion: We Overuse the Term Supermodel, but Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid Really Are Worthy of the Title

As 2015’s reigning model MVPs, Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner have become an inescapable part of the fashion conversation. With their reality-television backgrounds and mammoth social media presence, they are the most visible representatives of the new generation of top models. But are they supermodels?

The word itself conjures images of George Michael videos and leggy beauties strutting the catwalk for Versace, but its definition is largely abstract. It’s easy to recall the women who’ve earned the term over the years—particularly the ’90s glamazons who popularized its usage—but lately it feels as though the title has been handed out to nearly every person who’s ever walked a runway. A quick Google search showcases the way in which supermodel and model have become synonymous: Everyone from pink-haired rookie Fernanda Ly to former Instagram star Essena O’Neill has been called a supermodel in recent months. The designation feels premature.

In previous years the grounds for supermodel were relatively clear: Magazine covers, ads, and space in the pop culture consciousness earned a model the title after years of hard work. You couldn’t be labeled super unless you accomplished a series of set career goals, namely the kinds of high-profile jobs that rendered a woman (or man) capable of becoming known in and out of the industry. Serving as both designer muses and brand representatives via campaigns was a must, as was snagging a coveted beauty or fragrance contract. Appearing on the front page of a major publication served to take models to the next level in the years before actresses and celebrities replaced catwalkers as the de facto cover stars. Though the nuts and bolts of climbing the modeling ladder remain largely unchanged—excepting that covers are harder than ever to attain—what truly pushed the supermodels over the edge was their mastery of media beyond fashion.

Quintessential ’90s stars like Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Kate Moss, and Cindy Crawford require no introduction in part because their body of work extended well beyond posing. Whether they were making movies (Campbell), dating Hollywood royalty (Moss), appearing in soda commercials (Crawford), or simply garnering the kind of media infamy that launched a million headlines (Evangelista), the supers had a presence that impacted, or at least captivated, culture as a whole. Looking back, the reign of the supers wasn’t confined to fashion month; it was a multimedia experience that included everything from talk shows to theme restaurants—Fashion Cafe, anyone? What propelled the ’90s supermodels beyond their respective niche was the exposure garnered by their outside endeavors, personal and professional. Their powerful mystique has outlasted countless trends.

If any contemporary models come close, it’s Hadid and Jenner. Though their careers are still relatively new, they’ve managed to tick several of the necessary boxes. When it comes to designers, they’ve got everyone from Riccardo Tisci to Karl Lagerfeld in their corner, and collectively they’ve racked up runway work with a slew of luxury houses. Collaborations with legendary photographers—Steven Meisel, Peter Lindbergh, and Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin, to name a few—have come their way, as have covers and campaigns. Hadid is currently front and center on prestige glossies like Italian Vogue and Numéro, while Jenner landed one of four French Vogue 95th anniversary covers alongside Turlington, Moss, and Gisele Bündchen. Jenner and Hadid also have beauty deals with Estée Lauder and Maybelline, respectively, as well as a place on the rumored Victoria’s Secret Angel shortlist.

But what truly makes Kendall and Gigi super material is the interest they generate off-duty. Bombshells next door, they are even better known for their selfie skills than for their work with the pros. Within the industry, the pair have garnered criticism and praise in equal measure. In a fashion landscape that still struggles to acclimate itself to the Internet’s focus on clicks and likes, their brand of success is often derided as antithetical to that of the original supermodel lineup—would Naomi or Linda value user engagement stats as much as a Meisel-lensed editorial? Well, now maybe, but definitely not then.

Outside the industry, it’s a different story. Hadid danced coyly in DJ Calvin Harris’s sultry clip for “How Deep Is Your Love,” while Jenner made a brief foray into cohosting for Canada’s Much Music Video Awards. Magazines and websites document each move the girls make with the kind of fervor typically reserved for movie stars and musicians, with every outfit and rumored new relationship dissected with alacrity.

Their celebrity is unquestionable, and that makes them contenders for the supermodel title—even Karlie Kloss doesn’t have as much name recognition. Whether the heat that surrounds them now will result in the decades-spanning success enjoyed by the likes of Moss and Campbell remains to be seen, but for the moment Hadid and Jenner are the supermodel heirs apparent.

vogue

Yikes, hasn't Kendall been a model for like a year? people are going too far with the instamodels thing..

This article made me roll my eyes so hard:rolleyes:

There is so much irony, it's shocking. First the headline is that the term supermodel is overused, but they choose to name two instagram celebrities supermodels that are really new to the fashion scene.
That too is another ironic thing because they write that models became supermodels after many years working.
And end with a video that says: "Watch what happens when we give Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid a selfie stick:"

Excuse me, but can I unleash my rage mode for a second?

Kendall and Gigi ARE NOT the LAST models on Earth. I hate it whenever media treats them as if they were those.

Man, so many false logics happening in modeling world. The world is not fair it seems.

Vogue is saying that because they're going to put them on the cover in 2016. Trust me. It's a tactic on their part to make it seem like they're respect, groundbreaking fashion models. So Vogue saying all this about them, to the average person sounds impressive, and the cover(s) won't receive backlash like Kimye did.

Interesting that Vogue is publishing that...

Will Social Media Ruin Modeling?

August 15, 2016
by JANELLE OKWODU

You can’t talk about the current state of modeling without mentioning social media. The most discussed models in existence—Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid, and the other members of the Insta-girl squad—owe a large degree of their fame to their enormous social-media followings. Tools like Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter have reignited public interest in models and created a lucrative new income source that several stars have tapped into, and the advantages of social media are clear: It offers models the chance to become personalities, instead of mere clothes hangers, while simultaneously providing fans and brands with a direct connection.

But what about the drawbacks?

Let’s be real: There is no direct correlation between being able to take a good selfie and being able to deliver in front of the camera for an actual photographer. Even as the images used online become increasingly staged, a high-fashion editorial or campaign shoot has different demands than an Instagram. Though great models can be found via social media—Nadja Bender and Sean O’Pry to name two—there is something disconcerting about the amount of importance placed on data, much of which can be fudged. Given that figures for followers, views, and likes can all be fabricated (thanks to companies which exist solely to pad the numbers of Instagram and Twitter users), hotly followed accounts may not be all they’re cracked up to be. Put another way, we have yet to see whether big name Insta-stars add up into the actual engagement that brands are pursuing.

There is also the matter that as the number of followers a model has increased in importance, the focus shifted from the quality of a model’s work to their ability to produce likes, clicks, and online buzz. It is becoming increasingly standard procedure for castings to ask for social statistics in addition to the standard measurements (despite the fact of most backstages being social media–free zones), which leads to cases where an individual’s audience trumps all else. When the objective is generating attention—and hopefully getting those millions of fans to open their wallets—basic modeling skills like posing and having a great walk can fall by the wayside, to the detriment of the show, or shoot, and ultimately the industry at large. How many talented new faces have a built-in fanbase?

Selling things has always been a part of the job for models, but rarely has it been so necessary for them to constantly sell themselves.
It’s one thing to network, and to build key relationships with photographers and stylists, and it’s another to be good at the kind of self-promotion that generates results online. These days if you aren’t snapping, tweeting, Instagram-ing or blogging, you run the risk of becoming invisible—or worse, missing out on the opportunities offered to those willing to play the game. While there have always been models with distinct advantages—connections, wealth, celebrity parentage—that have helped to advance their careers, the playing field has never been as uneven. A newer model might snag a prestigious exclusive, or work with a cool magazine, but it’s becoming rarer for a model to achieve the next stage of work—beauty contracts, endorsements, and top-tier magazine covers—without having a following.

It may seem alarmist to decry the same tools that have given models their renewed relevance, but throughout all of the modeling industry’s changes the constant has been the merger of art and commerce. Shift too much in one direction, and things go awry—turning modeling into a numbers game takes the joy out of something that, at its best, is creative. What a model has to offer shouldn’t be tied solely to the bottom line. The success of the Insta-girls shouldn’t make social media mandatory; it should open the door for a variety of talents.

After all, there can be too much of a good thing. The continued nostalgia for the ’90s supermodel era, coupled with the online outcry regarding the success of some Insta-famous stars shows that audiences still crave a time when modeling was just about the creation of a timeless image. Casting directors in search of a damn good model can still call on social-shy icons like Daria Werbowy and Raquel Zimmermann (neither of whom show any signs of slowing down), but their successors are out there waiting for an opportunity to show their skills. The next catwalk star may very well have the ability to live-stream every minute of their life, apply the perfect filter to every photo, and dole out 140 character bon mots with the best of them—or she might want to simply turn off her phone. We’re going to need both types of model in order for things to remain relevant and interesting.

vogue.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->