Most Overpriced Designer? #3

Burberry at this point, just to briefly compare it with Prada, is completely out in the space with these prices. It is beyond my understanding that Burberry's suits decided to put unrealistic pricing in hope of quick turnaround and long term profitability. You don't have to have MBA but a basic understanding of luxury market to conclude that pumping up prices to ridiculous level with not a single justification will just blow up right in your face. I don't think Burberry can afford another f*ck up like with Tisci but here we are with "100% virgin wool. Lining: 74% viscose, 26% cupro" red checked, ill fitting trousers for almost USD 3000...
It looks even worse considering that the pieces don't seem to moving as the suits anticipated. Lee's Burberry would've absolutely killed it if the prices were like Marni, Dries Van Noten and Erdem where it's a obvious step up from contemporary brands, while still being competitive and reasonable. The pre-debut anticipation and reception towards the debut show was overwhelmingly positive, with the nostalgia-bait and quirky accessories getting a lot of attention, but the high prices massacred all the momentum.

I know it's inherently dumb but I guess some of the reasoning of this offensive pricing has to do with exclusivity in the digital age. I feel like when I was a teenager (lol) I would be intrigued by the mystery or my romantic vision of luxury in the way that it was a bit more hidden from plebs and I had to go searching for it. Regardless of their choices to be exclusive to a certain demographic, it's all gonna be online and seem accessible to everyone. So maybe the way to create some sort of barrier is to price so high to make it unattainable. The luxury "goalpost" is always gonna be moving. Like the way Chanel is opening VIP boutiques now. This would prob be a good discussion for the "is there luxury in fashion" thread but I'm scared to go back and see what I said before because I remember getting annihilated there last time I posted lol.

I know it's inherently dumb but I guess some of the reasoning of this offensive pricing has to do with exclusivity in the digital age. I feel like when I was a teenager (lol) I would be intrigued by the mystery or my romantic vision of luxury in the way that it was a bit more hidden from plebs and I had to go searching for it. Regardless of their choices to be exclusive to a certain demographic, it's all gonna be online and seem accessible to everyone. So maybe the way to create some sort of barrier is to price so high to make it unattainable. The luxury "goalpost" is always gonna be moving. Like the way Chanel is opening VIP boutiques now. This would prob be a good discussion for the "is there luxury in fashion" thread but I'm scared to go back and see what I said before because I remember getting annihilated there last time I posted lol.

OFFTOPIC: Can you tell me the designer of the dresses from you avatar pic, please?? The backs are amazing!!

It looks even worse considering that the pieces don't seem to moving as the suits anticipated. Lee's Burberry would've absolutely killed it if the prices were like Marni, Dries Van Noten and Erdem where it's a obvious step up from contemporary brands, while still being competitive and reasonable. The pre-debut anticipation and reception towards the debut show was overwhelmingly positive, with the nostalgia-bait and quirky accessories getting a lot of attention, but the high prices massacred all the momentum.
Burberry is pricing as if they had Bailey-level designs on offer but those days are long gone.
Marni has always been reasonably priced for a higher-end label, even in the Consuelo years when it was more directional. Dries and Erdem likewise - yes, they do go into 4 figures but they're primarily clothes-focused labels, it makes sense that they need the clothes to sell.

plot twist.. its all high jewellery :rofl: this cant be by ghesquire right.. its so tastelessly done. the colors, the placement of the stones.... its giving bedazzle shoeture design challenge

plot twist.. its all high jewellery :rofl: this cant be by ghesquire right.. its so tastelessly done. the colors, the placement of the stones.... its giving bedazzle shoeture design challenge
Those boots scream Phillip Plein

I personally thought it was from Pharrell's side.

I personally thought it was from Pharrell's side.
It is from Pharrell’s side lol. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they have smaller size available for women. The regular trainer has become part of both collections tho.

Pieces from the Ghesquiere’s SS collection haven’t hit the stores yet and the sneakers from resort they are pushing is a pair of runnings.

It is from Pharrell’s side lol. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they have smaller size available for women. The regular trainer has become part of both collections tho.

Pieces from the Ghesquiere’s SS collection haven’t hit the stores yet and the sneakers from resort they are pushing is a pair of runnings.
That's a relief.

I can’t wait to see the prices of the SS2024 Vuitton womenswear tho. I’m afraid the sequined pieces might be over 10K and the bombers (specially look 1) over 6K but I’m crossing my fingers.

Pharrell’s collection is surprisingly well priced. There are insane ugly overpriced (but very embellished) pieces like the sneakers like that and some others pieces but there are pieces below 1k.

Chanel’s new Act 1 for the spring season is out and the prices are surprisingly lower than expected.

It may be a while before anything tops the $50K bedazzled sneaker, but neither of these is defensible on any basis except as a response to the question "who can deliver less for more?"

prada-shorts.jpggucci-shorts.jpg

Luxury prices are beyond ludicrous right now. When will the bubble pop?
1706680249555.jpeg

As a former jeweller, I know the price of pearls and metals, and that is a damn crime to charge that much for a necklace like that. Absolutely shameful

I asked about that necklace and they told me the price is strictly because of the pearls... which I feel like doesn't make any sense.
It doesn't. From those photos those pearls do not look very good quality. You can probably buy pearls of that quality by the pound for less than $50 USD

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->