Most Talented Creative Directors

aren't we getting into semantics...essentially he still was creative director whether it was strictly womens or the whole lot. anyway,i still can't think of another who made staid luxury worth getting excited about. just my personal opinion.

I agree that Margiela and Hermes were an unexpected match that worked so beautifully, in that both Martin's sensibilities and the house's ultra-lux qualities enhanced, enriched and enlightened one another. But I don't think his aesthetic was so strong for the house that it synthesized and bled into fashion's general sensibilities-- the way Tom Ford, Hedi Slimane and Christopher Bailey's influences have. And I feel that's because the minimalist, monastic, almost puritan ultra-lux that Martin's carved with Hermes wasn't as exciting to most, and new-- Zoran, Jil Sander, Calvin Klein were already known for that style, nor was that style generally coveted by fashion followers-- who typically gravitate towards attention-getting and loud statement designs.

But, looking back now at his work for Hermes, they're truly timeless. But most of all, they work on women of any age-- and mood. I really appreciate designers with that attitude.

Givenchy's Riccardo Tisci:

Photo Credit: zimbio.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christyshaw61
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->